Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't owned a MOPAR Muscle car since '86... my '70 Runner.
I've scared myself in a '70 240Z I created with a Chevy modded LT-1 I placed in it. In the day I'd blow motorcycles away.
I'm 55 and there's still a kid in me. I'm fascinated with the 392 Challenger Scat Pack and it's 485HP. Not to mention 25 MPG HWY.

Since my MOPAR days and my one crazy Zcar I've gone to turbo Audi/VW's and modded them. Nothing over the top crazy though. Broke into the high 5 second zone with my mods on my current VW.

I'd like to know if Dodge allows a lease on the 392 Challenger? I'd prefer to lease and see if I really fall in love and if I did I'd keep it!
VW has a new AWD Golf R coming out with 300HP and it's 4.9 0-60 stock. Guys in Europe have a Stage 1 chip in them and are doing 0-60 in 3.9. These cars come with the DSG trans (dual clutch auto) will get 40MPG HWY even with mods. I have this tranny in my GTI. I've seen these numbers with my turbo VW. They are amazing... and yet there's nothing like the sound of a Detroit V8!

Friends of mine have said 'Get it!" You can't take your money to your grave and you only live once!

The lease would really help me decide vs getting head over heals in debt and not be able to get out.:SM030:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I am also interested in leasing the new Challenger Scat Pack mostly because of the lower payment. I know how leases work and I am fine with the whole "not owning" thing. Even with regular financing nobody really owns their vehicles. Only difference is more payments on a lease just pays it off quicker and I no longer have a car payment for the remainder of the lease. I would just like the lower payment on a vehicle that has no real practical purpose and will probably sit in the garage for about six months out of the year. I can't stand having something I rarely use but making payments on. I am curious if that double up lease program is a good deal if the end goal is to get into a R/T Scat Pack. I was planning on making a trip to a dealer to talk about it this week. If you find out information on lease options I would love to hear about it. Good luck!

·
Registered
610 Posts
the silence is when you really compare a tiny hatch back that looks like any other hatchback against a Muscle car..... really there is no comparasion.. if you want faster.. get a mustang they are quick.. also you are comparing .. FWD or AWD to a RWD... no way in the world to compare the feeling.

·
Registered
610 Posts
and to answer your questions.. there will be always lease for dodge.. maybe not on launch date .. but they will be making plenty of them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
the silence is when you really compare a tiny hatch back that looks like any other hatchback against a Muscle car..... really there is no comparasion.. if you want faster.. get a mustang they are quick.. also you are comparing .. FWD or AWD to a RWD... no way in the world to compare the feeling.
Oh wow! Didn't know I got into a hornets nest. The little AWD hatches are sleeping giants and humiliate those bigger cars when they are modded. And now modding equates to a stage 1 or 2 chip and no other modifications still getting 40MPG HWY. Where I had to spend 5K or more to get mine pushed up.
I understand the feeling or lack there of. I have built many a serious V8 car and turbo 4 cylinders too.
Again, nothing is like the RAW sound / feel of a Detroit V8 for sure.

My '70Z Chevy. bought for $150 out of a farmers field in Lodi, CA. $10k invested. A race car that was a daily driver.

One friend said... "one flat handling, hauling ass muther ******, HOLD ON!!!"

Sleeping little AWD 4 banger turbo giant with 400HP (35 MPG HWY:

·
Premium Member
10,522 Posts
I've scared myself in a '70 240Z I created with a Chevy modded LT-1 I placed in it. In the day I'd blow motorcycles away.
I'm 55 and there's still a kid in me. I'm fascinated with the 392 Challenger Scat Pack and it's 485HP. Not to mention 25 MPG HWY.

Since my MOPAR days and my one crazy Zcar I've gone to turbo Audi/VW's and modded them. Nothing over the top crazy though. Broke into the high 5 second zone with my mods on my current VW.

I'd like to know if Dodge allows a lease on the 392 Challenger? I'd prefer to lease and see if I really fall in love and if I did I'd keep it!
VW has a new AWD Golf R coming out with 300HP and it's 4.9 0-60 stock. Guys in Europe have a Stage 1 chip in them and are doing 0-60 in 3.9. These cars come with the DSG trans (dual clutch auto) will get 40MPG HWY even with mods. I have this tranny in my GTI. I've seen these numbers with my turbo VW. They are amazing... and yet there's nothing like the sound of a Detroit V8!

Friends of mine have said 'Get it!" You can't take your money to your grave and you only live once!

The lease would really help me decide vs getting head over heals in debt and not be able to get out.:SM030:
Except that the engine is built in Mexico and the car is built in Canada, but Dodge does offer an imported from Detroit t-shirt.....
Yes, of course there will be leases available.

·
Premium Member
10,522 Posts
I am also interested in leasing the new Challenger Scat Pack mostly because of the lower payment. I know how leases work and I am fine with the whole "not owning" thing. Even with regular financing nobody really owns their vehicles. Only difference is more payments on a lease just pays it off quicker and I no longer have a car payment for the remainder of the lease. I would just like the lower payment on a vehicle that has no real practical purpose and will probably sit in the garage for about six months out of the year. I can't stand having something I rarely use but making payments on. I am curious if that double up lease program is a good deal if the end goal is to get into a R/T Scat Pack. I was planning on making a trip to a dealer to talk about it this week. If you find out information on lease options I would love to hear about it. Good luck!
Really????
At the end of a lease they get the car back as it's titled to them, not you. At the end of a loan you get to keep the car that you bought outright and it's in your name, not theirs.

·
Registered
610 Posts
but going back to the OP.. i came from a 465 hp nissan 240 S14 zenki with a built sr20det kaaz 2 way diff and over 15 k invested.. (drift car) and i will never ever go back to that.. i rather have slow and good looking than ugly (nissans s14 are horrible looking in and out.. lol) and fast :).. but if you decide to get a challenger.. you wont regret it is like an old muscle car.. BIG, ROOMY and FEELS powerful .. but like i said.. it wont be as fast as you think.. they are extremely heavy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh wow! Didn't know I got into a hornets nest. The little AWD hatches are sleeping giants and humiliate those bigger cars when they are modded. And now modding equates to a stage 1 or 2 chip and no other modifications still getting 40MPG HWY. Where I had to spend 5K or more to get mine pushed up.
I understand the feeling or lack there of. I have built many a serious V8 car and turbo 4 cylinders too.
Again, nothing is like the RAW sound / feel of a Detroit V8 for sure.

My '70Z Chevy. bought for $150 out of a farmers field in Lodi, CA. $10k invested. A race car that was a daily driver.

One friend said... "one flat handling, hauling ass muther ******, HOLD ON!!!"

Sleeping little AWD 4 banger turbo giant with 400HP (35 MPG HWY:

They get 40mpg because they have different emission and safety laws there. Every car there get better gas mileage than their US counterpart.

·
Premium Member
10,522 Posts
If your are talking VW they are built in Germany. Both mine and the next model Golf R.
I'm responding to the detroit V8 sound post. There is no detroit in our Challengers but we still love owning and driving them.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

Why wouldn't I consider a lease for anything but basic transportation? (I posted this in another thread and am reposting here for relevance)

1) I don't want a piece of paper to tell me when it is time to make a change. That piece of paper cannot predict my short term future financial position in any given year,

2) just the same, a leasing contract cannot predict if I will love the car and want to keep it a little longer, or if I can't get out of it soon enough

3) if I lease I have to keep the car dead stock, or only make reversible changes

4) if there is any damage / wear to the car, I have the option to fix it or leave it and not worry about getting slammed with excessive wear charges.

5) if I am prudent with my financing I walk away from the car with some equity that I can roll into my next car instead of just walking away after paying several years of rent. Yes I know to the extent the equity is not really equity but it is in a sense a savings account towards my next car.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Really????
At the end of a lease they get the car back as it's titled to them, not you. At the end of a loan you get to keep the car that you bought outright and it's in your name, not theirs.
Actually no they don't automatically get the car back. At the end of the lease they give you a choice.

Option 1 - I turn in the vehicle and basically have nothing upfront to show for the last three years or my initial investment of a trade in. The silver lining in this is something different. I could have purchased the top of the line vehicle and put my car in on trade, but would have a payment well into the 450-550 range depending on term length and interest rate. Instead I traded my car and got $10k which was put on the lease. This made my payment $265 a month for three years ultimately letting me drive around the top of the line Acadia while saving almost $300 a month. That $300 a month went into my pocket and ultimately into a little savings account. That's $10k over three years saved while still letting me drive what I wanted.

Option 2 - The residual on my lease is $26k which means I have the choice of buying the vehicle for that preset price. While I finance my loans (my other vehicles) for the maximum allowed I only do that so I am only required to make X payment while making more payments on principle. So if I had a bad month I don't have to take out a second mortgage to make my car payment. I pay off about 10k of the loan per year and refinance the rest. I get a lower payment and more towards principal. In the end the dealer will see how much my lease is worth and if it is worth my (Nada value) then I can just buy it and sell it to make a profit. Or put a payment on a new vehicle. If it is worth less then I can make another $10k downpayment that I saved over three years and practically have the same payment as my lease.

In both scenarios the dealer owns the car first and then the bank owns the car. Just because the title has your name on it doesn't mean you own anything. The bank owns it until the note is paid off. So if you are one of the lucky ones to have enough cash to pay for vehicles outright then good for you. For the rest of us I will play this musical financing game to allow me to drive awesome cars with a payment of base models. Plus the lease can be paid off early too which means if I paid off the $10k lease amount then I would have zero payments for two years while driving a brand new car. Using this method I have purchased a new 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT, 2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT, Semi new 2011 Yukon XL Denali, and 2013 Acadia SLT-2 AWD. The Acadia was the first lease since I needed a second practical vehicle for the kids and winter.

Just my opinion though, YMMV.

·
Registered
152 Posts
to the OP:

first, nice engine choice in the lite datsun!!
2nd: They should be leasing ALL Dodges.. I leased my challenger b/c of the incentives were better than buying at the time....this senario allowed me to drive it for less per month and at the end of the lease if I still love it, I can buy it ( or finance the remainder) OR buy it and sell it outright if its worth more than the residue ( I'm fairly convinced that it will be b/c I already know that amount ( I really feel it'll be worth more than 23k at the end of 39 months ( based on the past values of SRT8's)

just my opinion and path

·
Premium Member
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts

Leases will be available soon we just started to get leases for the Jeeps Grand Cherokee & Cherokee MY2015 were released yesterday,

·
Registered
287 Posts
I leased my 2011 Challenger - the excellent resale value (therefore high residual value) made leasing very attractive. I would expect the same in 2015 - although SRT leases are generally less attractive than other models, at least historically.

I am leasing a 300c for right now as a bridge until the 2015 or 2016 Challenger - and I expect to get into an R/T Scat Pack via lease as soon as this one is up.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Actually no they don't automatically get the car back. At the end of the lease they give you a choice.

Option 1 - I turn in the vehicle and basically have nothing upfront to show for the last three years or my initial investment of a trade in. The silver lining in this is something different. I could have purchased the top of the line vehicle and put my car in on trade, but would have a payment well into the 450-550 range depending on term length and interest rate. Instead I traded my car and got $10k which was put on the lease. This made my payment $265 a month for three years ultimately letting me drive around the top of the line Acadia while saving almost $300 a month. That $300 a month went into my pocket and ultimately into a little savings account. That's $10k over three years saved while still letting me drive what I wanted.

Option 2 - The residual on my lease is $26k which means I have the choice of buying the vehicle for that preset price. While I finance my loans (my other vehicles) for the maximum allowed I only do that so I am only required to make X payment while making more payments on principle. So if I had a bad month I don't have to take out a second mortgage to make my car payment. I pay off about 10k of the loan per year and refinance the rest. I get a lower payment and more towards principal. In the end the dealer will see how much my lease is worth and if it is worth my (Nada value) then I can just buy it and sell it to make a profit. Or put a payment on a new vehicle. If it is worth less then I can make another $10k downpayment that I saved over three years and practically have the same payment as my lease.

In both scenarios the dealer owns the car first and then the bank owns the car. Just because the title has your name on it doesn't mean you own anything. The bank owns it until the note is paid off. So if you are one of the lucky ones to have enough cash to pay for vehicles outright then good for you. For the rest of us I will play this musical financing game to allow me to drive awesome cars with a payment of base models. Plus the lease can be paid off early too which means if I paid off the $10k lease amount then I would have zero payments for two years while driving a brand new car. Using this method I have purchased a new 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT, 2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT, Semi new 2011 Yukon XL Denali, and 2013 Acadia SLT-2 AWD. The Acadia was the first lease since I needed a second practical vehicle for the kids and winter.

Just my opinion though, YMMV.
lease is great if you wont buy the car and barely drive it.. i have 12k in my car and i owned it for less than 7 months.. besides at the end of a lease that car will be more expensive than buying a used one on the dealer.. the only benefit you drove it yourself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts