Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you stripe a Challenger if it's a lease?

Hope so, cuz I already did :grin2:.......dealer says I might have to remove them if I turn the car in instead of buying it.

I'm thinking some striping is a "minor" modification and not like adding a SC to the motor or even changing the wheels.

What say you??

·
Registered
185 Posts

Hope so, cuz I already did :grin2:.......dealer says I might have to remove them if I turn the car in instead of buying it.

I'm thinking some striping is a "minor" modification and not like adding a SC to the motor or even changing the wheels.

What say you??
Interesting question, but I'd have to guess your dealer is right. My 2018 R/T is a lease (three year), and the only thing I will be doing to it is adding a BT catch can (which I'll remove at lease end). Technically, a leased car isn't really "our" car as opposed to a purchase...we're just paying on the depreciation. Much like tires...I don't think you can return a car at lease end with bald tires, and sometimes they even want you to provide documentation of regular maintenance. On the other hand, if you're fairly certain you may purchase the car at the end of the lease go for the stripes! With my lease being up in 2021, I may very well buy mine...that is probably the year that our Challengers are transformed into a Fiat platform or (God forbid) not replaced with anything. Depends what FCA will want to do with their car divisions...many rumors around about that.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha on the tires, but I'm thinking stripes RAISE the value of the car and if I turn it in, Chrysler Capital can sell it (or the dealer) for MORE money.

So, I may be wrong but if they don't like it all they have to do is remove them.......course there "might" be a little fading involved, I just might have to buy it or tell them to pound sand if they try to charge me to have them removed, are they going to charge me for the tinted windows too? Another enhancement that everyone does anyway???

I know, it's not my car yet, I shouldn't have done anything to it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would think it depends on the dealer really. Some people I know got away with the tints but it is depending on your state - in NY they would give you a hard time since it's fail inspection here.

Worse thing, just remove the stripe yourself before returning it. I wouldn't worry about color correcting or anything - most dealers don't look that close.

Also, regarding the value added, wouldn't even go down that route.

·
Registered
635 Posts
LOL stripes won't "raise" the value.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
Interesting question, but I'd have to guess your dealer is right. My 2018 R/T is a lease (three year), and the only thing I will be doing to it is adding a BT catch can (which I'll remove at lease end). Technically, a leased car isn't really "our" car as opposed to a purchase...we're just paying on the depreciation. Much like tires...I don't think you can return a car at lease end with bald tires, and sometimes they even want you to provide documentation of regular maintenance. On the other hand, if you're fairly certain you may purchase the car at the end of the lease go for the stripes! With my lease being up in 2021, I may very well buy mine...that is probably the year that our Challengers are transformed into a Fiat platform or (God forbid) not replaced with anything. Depends what FCA will want to do with their car divisions...many rumors around about that.
If I was renting the car (a lease is renting) I would not invest a cent extra in it.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I was renting the car (a lease is renting) I would not invest a cent extra in it.
Yeah, but I look at it,drive it for 3 years and I "might" buy it then......stripes were cheap.
RED is my favorite color for a sporty car 2nd to PURPLE for a Challenger

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL stripes won't "raise" the value.
I said that wrong, what I mean is, it's more appealing for most people who are looking for these cars.
It certainly doesn't hurt the value of the car.

·
Super Moderator
13,867 Posts
If you don't buy your car and you think that your dealer will cause you a problem, simply remove the stripes yourself before you turn it in.

They come off easy. All you need is a normal hair blow dryer on low heat (or a really hot summer day). Just heat up an edge and start pulling. Keep the warm air blowing on it, and slowly pull- keeping it heated up will prevent most of the glue from sticking. Once done there will be some spots with glue. A little Goo Gone will get that off. Follow that up with claybar, and then new coat of wax.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Lease end inspections have become very very strict. I would expect to have to remove the stripes or be charged a lease end fee. Lease end inspections are performed by third parties who scrutinize every inch of the vehicle. I recently returned a 2013 Chrysler 300c, with 19,000 miles on it - there was so little wear that they could literally wash it and sell it. The lease end inspection took almost two hours, and the inspector found the smallest of imperfections and documented them. I've been leasing cars for almost 20 years, and it was an eye opener. In the end, I did not owe anything extra, but that car was damn near perfect and way under the allowed miles.

The only way you have some wiggle room at lease end is if you trade it for another Dodge / Chrysler product - they are a lot more forgiving in those cases, but I would hate to count on that and be surprised later.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Chrysler lease turn ins are horrible because of the system they use and the company in general is a lot like Fiat...(i'll leave it right there)

If you are putting on a normal "Challenger" type stripe they are not gonna care though...If you're going off the reservation all bets are off....take them off before the inspection

·
Registered
54 Posts
I leased my challenger through Ally and the pamphlet mentioned cosmetic add-on's are a no go or would need to be removed when lease inspection comes. It all boils down to who inspects your car so make sure to be nice to the inspector :wink3:. As far as window tint, most cases if its a professional install with no bubbles they would overlook that part even though the leasing contract says no tints. The shop that did my tints is very well known and high end. They said they tinted many Dodge/Chrysler vehicles and no one has ever came back to them to remove the tints. He gets the same customers coming back every 2-3 years to tint their new leased FCA vehicle. YMMV

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Gotcha on the tires, but I'm thinking stripes RAISE the value of the car and if I turn it in, Chrysler Capital can sell it (or the dealer) for MORE money.

So, I may be wrong but if they don't like it all they have to do is remove them.......course there "might" be a little fading involved, I just might have to buy it or tell them to pound sand if they try to charge me to have them removed, are they going to charge me for the tinted windows too? Another enhancement that everyone does anyway???

I know, it's not my car yet, I shouldn't have done anything to it.
I know my dealer will say thank you. Windows, hood R/T emblem and tail band. Especially if you take another one.
I plan on buying mine. Even if I trade that in. The 10% you save in Illinois is $3K on a trade like that. Plus I think I will be able to fenagle more. I'm willing to find out................going to. Not worried!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Yeah, but I look at it,drive it for 3 years and I "might" buy it then......stripes were cheap.
RED is my favorite color for a sporty car 2nd to PURPLE for a Challenger
Hey, we have impractical cars by definition. We know that going in. We drive what we want to drive. So if a few dollars makes it your dream car for 3 years...........I say go for it. I sure ain't gonna deprive myself because I was afraid of losing money on a stripe or two. If you're not going to make it yours.......buy a Chevy or Buick. IMHO

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
My brother has a 16 scat shaker that he is leasing. He had the windows tinted, did a muffler delete and magnaflow axleback. The dealer he is leasing from also installed a 3.90 rear diff in his A8 car that he ordered from Steve White. He will likely buy it after lease is over since he is only putting 1500 miles on it(has a new Harley and a daily driver) so it should be worth quite a bit more than his lease buy out price. I’m shocked a dealer let him do those mods to a brand new leased car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts

What say you??
You can stripe it. You can do anything you want to the car as long as you can return it in similar condition, so if you remove the stripe you'd have zero issues. If you buy out the lease OR trade the car - nothing matters - including the miles that you drove. The dealer has nothing to do with the decisions regarding charges for the vehicle at lease termination. The manufacturer inspects the vehicle, and the dealer simply facilitates the processing of the car back to the factory so that the unit can be wholesaled at auction. If you want to be really safe, have the dealer ask their factory rep for guidance on the issue, but your likely to get an answer like "technically your not supposed to... But I don't think he will have a problem."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
You can stripe it. You can do anything you want to the car as long as you can return it in similar condition, so if you remove the stripe you'd have zero issues. If you buy out the lease OR trade the car - nothing matters - including the miles that you drove. The dealer has nothing to do with the decisions regarding charges for the vehicle at lease termination. The manufacturer inspects the vehicle, and the dealer simply facilitates the processing of the car back to the factory so that the unit can be wholesaled at auction. If you want to be really safe, have the dealer ask their factory rep for guidance on the issue, but your likely to get an answer like "technically your not supposed to... But I don't think he will have a problem."

The manufacture does not do the inspection.. the business or a rep from the business you leased the car does that...Like Ally (good) Chrysler Capital (bad)

·
Registered
30 Posts
The manufacture does not do the inspection.. the business or a rep from the business you leased the car does that...Like Ally (good) Chrysler Capital (bad)
Yea, I know I was trying to keep it simple. Point was that it's not the dealer. Asking them will not help.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's Chrysler Capital. :|

Oh well, I have 3 years before I have to take it serious, I just won't mod anything I can't remove fairly easily......."IF" I don't buy it.

I LOVE the RED, then again I Loved the Billitt Silver Rallye Redline I had and the Jazz Blue with Purple stripes SXT PLUS too!!

Thanks for the input guys. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts