Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone owned Challengers with both leather seats and the houndstooth seats? I'm wondering if there is any comfort difference between them. Not temp wise, but foam wise. I've had leather on the Challengers I've had and comfort was OK. I also own a 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited and the class of foam in those seats is very stiff and uncomfortable on long drives. Apparently Jeep uses four classes of foam dependent on the trim level. So since it's hard to find leather these days in a Challenger, before I get my next one I want to check on the seating on the houndstooth.

·
Premium Member
4,654 Posts
I love my Alcantra seats with the vent and heated seats action!

Reactions: NoCash

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,709 Posts
Sorry, can't help on either. Both my 15' Charger and 18' Challenger have/had the seats with Alcantara, and are fairly firm.
My 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with "New Saddle" leather driver's seat foam is pretty squashed. The P.O. must have been a big guy like me I guess. It is soft, and not very supportive, the driver's foam is the one thing that I would like to replace wear wise.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,905 Posts
I've got the standard cloth in my '16 SP. Houndstooth wasn't offered back then.

To my knowledge, all the Challengers used the same foam/shape for the performance/sport seating.

I've been pleased with the cloth, and the seats are comfortable for me.

My previous R/TC had the full leather, but the design had small bolsters compared to the SP seats. They were comfortable too, but a totally different seating feel to them.

Seating and comfort level are so subjective, based on body build and body shape. Everyone is different.

Myself, I would be pleased with the houndstooth now offered. Not interested in a few little strips of leather with alcantra, then or now.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
I have the Nappa/Alcantara seats and I find them to be very comfortable. I drove another Scat Pack that had the Houndstooth seats and found them to be more stiff. They weren’t uncomfortable, but I like the Nappa seats a lot better. Plus the Nappa seats have the Ventilated seats option, which is a huge plus for me here in Florida on hot days

·
Registered
2016 Dodge Challenger SRT, Billet Silver, Black Rally Stripes, A8
561 Posts
I have the Laguna leather seats, and they are simply amazing in comfort and quality.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMO the leather in the "plus" versions of the car is much better then the cloth. When I was shopping for a Challenger, I went with an RT Plus over a TA in a color I liked more because the seats were that much nicer. Not to mention the AC vented seats.

That said, seats are so subjective. Try both and decide.

Zach

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have a 2012 SRT8 with seats that have leather trim and cloth. I'm very pleased with their comfort.

By comparison, I paid $3000 for custom leather on a different vehicle (Toyota 4Runner) so I do like leather a lot. I have other vehicles with cloth and with leather. Pros and cons. Leather is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. And it's slippery so sliding around in a Challenger might be annoying.

If money is tight, I'd put it elsewhere over a few "upgrades" and/or I would skip the leather (and sunroof). I'm very pleased with the cloth seats with the leather trim. It looks nice and it's comfortable.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack triple nickel 6 speed manual.
161 Posts
I have a 2019 SP with houndstooth and I have a friend with a 2020 SP with Alcantera...i can definitely tell that my seats have a firmer foam in them. I just got my Katzskin leather for mine. I’m not against cloth, but my cloth seats are a dog hair magnet..lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2019 SP with houndstooth and I have a friend with a 2020 SP with Alcantera...i can definitely tell that my seats have a firmer foam in them. I just got my Katzskin leather for mine. I’m not against cloth, but my cloth seats are a dog hair magnet..lol
Same boat. If the fabric on the cloth seats would have been a little nicer, and not such a har magnet, I would have stuck with them. I just got the Katzkin leather seats in mine and am very happy with the outcome. Note in the pictures below the perforated part isn't white but actually blue that closely matches the indigo blue. Looks far better in person than the picture.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
539 Posts
Same boat. If the fabric on the cloth seats would have been a little nicer, and not such a har magnet, I would have stuck with them. I just got the Katzkin leather seats in mine and am very happy with the outcome. Note in the pictures below the perforated part isn't white but actually blue that closely matches the indigo blue. Looks far better in person than the picture.

View attachment 1005766 View attachment 1005767 View attachment 1005768 View attachment 1005769 View attachment 1005770 View attachment 1005771
Oh wow, those are nice. How much did you pay for the set?

I wouldn’t get full leather on mine due to Florida weather. It’s always hot and it makes the pure leather seats burn. The Nappa/Alcantara is a good blend and doesn’t get hot at all.

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
100 Posts
Ive driven both, cars with houndstooth, and leather. I much prefer the leather to the houndstooth, and passed up a bunch of different cars til I found the one I wanted that had leather. I prefer not only the look of the leather, but the feel as well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh wow, those are nice. How much did you pay for the set?

I wouldn’t get full leather on mine due to Florida weather. It’s always hot and it makes the pure leather seats burn. The Nappa/Alcantara is a good blend and doesn’t get hot at all.
They were just over $1500 installed with a 2 year warranty. I got them through the dealership. They could have been got for less probably but this dealership seemed to know what they were doing in setting up the order so that is why I went with them.

After a couple of days in the sun, most the little wrinkles have already tightened up on them. The leather is higher quietly than most factory leather and about on par with the leather in my wife's Audi.

Ive driven both, cars with houndstooth, and leather. I much prefer the leather to the houndstooth, and passed up a bunch of different cars til I found the one I wanted that had leather. I prefer not only the look of the leather, but the feel as well.
Agree. I can say that the stiffness of the houndstooth seats is more of the fabric than anything. After having mine upgraded, they are not as bad now. Plus the fabric they used for the houndstooth seats was terrible and cheap. It literally felt like cheap material one would find in a sub 20k new car, not one that costs close to $40k to start. That on mine, after only 1800 miles already had the little fabric pills showing up in it along with anything piece of hair, dust, etc. being stuck in it. Plus they were a pain to vacuum it out. If they would have been nicer fabric, with a much nicer houndstooth insert, I may have been fine with them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
They were just over $1500 installed with a 2 year warranty. I got them through the dealership. They could have been got for less probably but this dealership seemed to know what they were doing in setting up the order so that is why I went with them.

After a couple of days in the sun, most the little wrinkles have already tightened up on them. The leather is higher quietly than most factory leather and about on par with the leather in my wife's Audi.

Agree. I can say that the stiffness of the houndstooth seats is more of the fabric than anything. After having mine upgraded, they are not as bad now. Plus the fabric they used for the houndstooth seats was terrible and cheap. It literally felt like cheap material one would find in a sub 20k new car, not one that costs close to $40k to start. That on mine, after only 1800 miles already had the little fabric pills showing up in it along with anything piece of hair, dust, etc. being stuck in it. Plus they were a pain to vacuum it out. If they would have been nicer fabric, with a much nicer houndstooth insert, I may have been fine with them.
I bought my first Challenger, a 2016 Scat Pack M6, and it came with sport cloth seats. The fabric was starting to rip in the back seat where my 45lb, 5 year old child, and his 5lb car seat sat. That solidified my hatred for cloth seats. I had a company install Katzkin seat covers a month after I bought the car. My 2019 Scat Pack Widebody came with Alcantara seats and I love them over both the leather and cloth seats. Not too hot in the summer and not cold in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT Shaker (STP/A8/FORGED/NAPPA/NO SUNROOF)
713 Posts
My 2015 Shaker has the Nappa leather and it's fantastic. Never would go with cloth.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,743 Posts
Cows seem pretty comfortable...

A Guy

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
445 Posts
Has anyone owned Challengers with both leather seats and the houndstooth seats? I'm wondering if there is any comfort difference between them. Not temp wise, but foam wise. I've had leather on the Challengers I've had and comfort was OK. I also own a 2018 Grand Cherokee Limited and the class of foam in those seats is very stiff and uncomfortable on long drives. Apparently Jeep uses four classes of foam dependent on the trim level. So since it's hard to find leather these days in a Challenger, before I get my next one I want to check on the seating on the houndstooth.
I have had both. The only thing that I don’t like about the houndstooth seats are the side bolstering was too restrictive in my opinion.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts