Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a website that sells a shift knob that’s similar to our OEM shift knobs (15+ Challenger m6 ) that fits on a Barton shifter? I like the leather on our OEM shift knobs.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,847 Posts
Does anyone know of a website that sells a shift knob that’s similar to our OEM shift knobs (15+ Challenger m6 ) that fits on a Barton shifter? I like the leather on our OEM shift knobs.
I don't know of a leather type ball that would work with the barton. One option (not an elegant one) is to use the stock shift lever. I chose to use the OEM shifter on the barton from the start (I did not get their shift lever and adapter). It sits a little higher than when it was stock but I like it because I can keep a beverage in the cup holder without my forearm rubbing the rim of the drink. There are aftermarket shifter balls out their with leather...just need to find one with the same thread size...I think it is 12mmx1.25mm pitch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know of a leather type ball that would work with the barton. One option (not an elegant one) is to use the stock shift lever. I chose to use the OEM shifter on the barton from the start (I did not get their shift lever and adapter). It sits a little higher than when it was stock but I like it because I can keep a beverage in the cup holder without my forearm rubbing the rim of the drink. There are aftermarket shifter balls out their with leather...just need to find one with the same thread size...I think it is 12mmx1.25mm pitch.
Thanks for the info, to bad someone doesn’t make custom OEM factory style knobs for our cars that could fit on a Barton

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,847 Posts
Thanks for the info, to bad someone doesn’t make custom OEM factory style knobs for our cars that could fit on a Barton
My original intent with the barton was to get their shift lever for the shortest possible shifter throws and to use the factory ball. The factory ball is pressed onto the lever but I was planning on cutting it off and drilling and tapping a hole that would fit the barton. But then I saw they had and "OEM" setup and used the entire OEM lever.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My original intent with the barton was to get their shift lever for the shortest possible shifter throws and to use the factory ball. The factory ball is pressed onto the lever but I was planning on cutting it off and drilling and tapping a hole that would fit the barton. But then I saw they had and "OEM" setup and used the entire OEM lever.
Yeah I might end up going with the tapping and drilling.

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,847 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There’s this one too. Looks to be just leather wrapped.

Challenger Mopar Performance Shift Knob - P5155704
Oh I totally missed that on the site I posted...it was right there at the bottom. Good catch!

Thread will still need to be increased from 8mm to 12mm but should be easy. According to Jegs the ball is 3/8-16.

https://www.factorymopardirect.com/oem-parts/mopar-knob-shifter-p5155704 $57
Do you know if that shift knob is threaded?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,847 Posts
The knob is pre-threaded and according to Jegs the thread is 3/8-16 UNC (~9mm opening).

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P5155704/10002/-1

It is meant to be used with the factory short shifter. So you must re-drill and tap to M12-1.25 to make it fit on the barton. On mopar parts site said it was aluminum but pics on the web makes me think the ball is made of steel because you can see what looks like surface rust and not adhesive bleed-out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The knob is pre-threaded and according to Jegs the thread is 3/8-16 UNC (~9mm opening).

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P5155704/10002/-1

It is meant to be used with the factory short shifter. So you must re-drill and tap to M12-1.25 to make it fit on the barton. One mopar parts site said it was aluminum but pics on the web makes me think the ball is made of steel because you can see what looks like surface rust and not adhesive bleed-out.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,847 Posts
Thanks for the info
Well thanks to you I actually picked one up from a dealer 30min away for $52 plus tax. I want to make a shorter shifter using a Lou's short stick. I don't want to butcher the stock handle in case I want to go back. Anyways, the thread is 3/8-16, the metal is not aluminum and the leather has more of a plastic appearance. I designed a holder which I intend to 3D print but it looks like the ball measures 6mm(1/4in) larger in diameter so I need to adjust the design. If it works out I will post the holder file on thingiverse as some libraries have 3D printing service in case you want to try.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Speed Dawg has some nice knob options.....

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,847 Posts
BTW if you want to know what the factory shift ball p5155704 looks like under x-ray...here is an image. Looks like a steel core that might be encase what looks like epoxy not aluminum. The shift number plate (also plastic) can easily be popped off by fingernail (there is an indexing notch...red circle in image) and there is a big pocket of nothingness. Heck one can fit an LED in there and wire power to it by drilling parallel to the metal core...sounds like a cool project.

Basically no need for a fixture to drill an upsized threaded hole, just pop off the shift number cap and lay it flat on that side to drill.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Do they make one that matches the factory leather one that has the correct thread for a Barton? That was the OP's requirements.

To be fair I didn't see any leather but there are some very good and interesting options for the Challenger and they are one of the few aftermarket companies to get to sell official MOPAR logo stuff...legally.

Peoples needs change sometimes... ;) especially when presented alternate things to view and ponder....:cheers:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts