Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to brighten up my fogs...after testing some extra 65 watt 9005's from my Viper, I didn't want to risk melting the harness and lens. I don't want to do HID's...so that leaves me with LED's. There are soooo many different choices, 18 smd's 30 smd's, blue, white and so on...help! Who has installed these and has an actual recommendation? The biggest problem I see is tring to determine the actual lumens on each bulb as each vendor seems to be touting low heat output rather than actual brightness comparisons.

·
Registered
350 Posts
can I ask how you were able to access the fogs?

·
Registered
752 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
I second the recommendation for the AAC 9005s.
They are a blue white color like a set of 6000K HIDs.
I had Silverstars beforehand and the LEDS are brighter.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Careful with the LEDs. As, they do look awesome. But, they are not bright at all. They hardly light up the road at all. In my opinion, they are purely for looks. I have them. And, they're more of a Blue, then White. I have to take some better pics, because at night, with a camera phone, they do look bright. But, if I take pics of the ground in-front of them, you hardly see the light. I'm including one pic of the bulbs themselves. And, another of the bulbs installed in the guy's Charger I got them from, during the day. You can see they're not that bright.
Here are some pics I took a while back, when I installed them. Both with the headlights on and off. Also, I now have two LEDs out in one bulb, but I didn't buy these new from AAC, so I'm sure there's no warranty. So, again, I'm not saying they're a bad upgrade, or telling anyone to steer clear of them. I'm just saying that, though they do look good. Don't expect the same brightness out of them, you get with the stock bulbs. Or, the Sliverstars for that matter..

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfracer, how many led's are on the ones you installed and how long are they?
Also, to the earlier comment on cutting the plastic rivets on the diaper underneath, there is no need to do that, the rivets are reusable just use some needle nose pliers and they come apart easily.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
well i just bought the 9005 LEDs from AAC but havent installed them yet.

Im torn between their looks (great!) and the light output (which,,if its not so great as the poster above stated, then puts a damper on my excitement).

I might just sell them and leave the stockers in there. If they were as effective as they looked, then I'd be in love with them. but I want them functional as well as looking good.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Perfracer, how many led's are on the ones you installed and how long are they?
Mine have 18 LEDs. I don't find on AAC's website where you can get ones with 30 LEDs, though. I can't tell you how long they are, as they're currently installed, and way too much of a pain to remove at the moment (you have to drop the belly pans to get to them).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine have 18 LEDs. I don't find on AAC's website where you can get ones with 30 LEDs, though. I can't tell you how long they are, as they're currently installed, and way too much of a pain to remove at the moment (you have to drop the belly pans to get to them).
There are lots of vendors on eBay & the web who advertise these all the way up to 120 smd's, the problem being how many lumens are they actually rated at. Many say the 30 smd are equivalent to 6000k, which I personally think is a stretch, short of just taking a leap of faith and wasting $100, that's why I started this thread to see if anyone is actually happy with the results.

There are probably six different factories in China that are making these and it's just a matter of finding a good supplier.

I also restore and collect pinball machines and there again are many different led suppliers to choose from to replace incandescents. The prices on these have dropped at least 50% in the last year due to competition.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I hear you on the differences, for sure. I've considered the Ebay route for another set fog light bulbs, whether LEDs, or otherwise. I really would like to find something similar, but offer more light, brightness, and a closer color to the factory HIDs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After checking out some other car forums it appears the the 120 smd 9005 bulbs are slightly brighter than the stock 9145 incandescents while also producing the HID color we are looking for. I'm going to buy a pair and check them out. Lots of different vendors with prices starting at $30 for a pair and some others going for much more. I'll post back with pics when I have something installed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts