Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about switching out my halogen bulb out and install the led headlight kit. but i'm just not sure about the installation. I know that our headlights come with a big cover for the headlights. If i were to install the led headlight do i leave the cover off? or does everything for the led kit fit inside the cover and i am able to use the cover? If i were to leave the cover off will there be any issues? such as water/moisture getting into the headlight and etc? i'm guessing that cover is there for a reason. If anyone who has installed a led headlight kit for 2016 and above can help me out, that will be great. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts
Hello crossbay neighbor ;) Most (if not all) LED upgrades have wiring harnesses going to their drivers. Either a hole needs to be drilled in the cover, or a new cover has to be installed. Many systems are waterproof, but the headlight enclosure themselves could/would fog up at the least. Once you know the specific upgrade you want to install, you can see how to modify the cover, or find a replacement

IE: Look at the 4:20 mark, this is for HID, but same issue

1.jpg

2.jpg

Or buy some caps (I'm unsure of size). Depending on bulbs, they may stick out farther than the stock caps would allow. You'd then need extended cups

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Universal-Headlight-Conversion-Aftermarket/dp/B01J6SU6BY

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/build-materials.html

A Guy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello crossbay neighbor ;) Most (if not all) LED upgrades have wiring harnesses going to their drivers. Either a hole needs to be drilled in the cover, or a new cover has to be installed. Many systems are waterproof, but the headlight enclosure themselves could/would fog up at the least. Once you know the specific upgrade you want to install, you can see how to modify the cover, or find a replacement

IE: Look at the 4:20 mark, this is for HID, but same issue

DIY: 2015-2016 Dodge Challenger HID Headlight Kit Installation - Enlight - YouTube

View attachment 860809

View attachment 860817

Or buy some caps (I'm unsure of size). Depending on bulbs, they may stick out farther than the stock caps would allow. You'd then need extended cups

https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Universal-Headlight-Conversion-Aftermarket/dp/B01J6SU6BY

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/build-materials.html

A Guy
Have you done any modifications to you sxt? i see that we have about the same model but yours is a sxt plus and mine is a sxt. Or are you planning on any modifications to your headlights? either hid or Led?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,899 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
One thing to keep in mind before dealing with the cover is the dreadful flickering issues everyone (including myself) is having with installing LEDs in lieu of the halogens. I am currently on my second set from a different company and the last load resistor AND canbus (decoder) I purchased was bad. Take the advice above and do your research as well. I am considering just doing my own relay and harness to go straight to the battery to bypass the mess of canbus decoders and load resistors that seem to work only with certain companies and not for that long. When I get a working setup, I will share with the forums so maybe someone can learn from my headaches! Good luck in your future ventures.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing to keep in mind before dealing with the cover is the dreadful flickering issues everyone (including myself) is having with installing LEDs in lieu of the halogens. I am currently on my second set from a different company and the last load resistor AND canbus (decoder) I purchased was bad. Take the advice above and do your research as well. I am considering just doing my own relay and harness to go straight to the battery to bypass the mess of canbus decoders and load resistors that seem to work only with certain companies and not for that long. When I get a working setup, I will share with the forums so maybe someone can learn from my headaches! Good luck in your future ventures.

hey dealinaz,

I was planning on get this setup from ddm tuning. i've used their hid kits before and had good experience with them. I was wondering how did you deal with the cover in the back? did you drill a hole to get the cable back out then back in? because i don't think everything will fit in with the cover and also the fan i'm thinking will need some air ventilation. do you mind if you have some time.. take some pictures of how you used the cover and how you connected and installed the led kit? Thank you.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jkm1978,
I have seal rubber grommets similar to this:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sft-0185?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-soffseal&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_vT-7K321wIVR1p-Ch04zgoZEAkYDCABEgJHEPD_BwE
You'll simply drill the out diameter hole big enough for the plug to fit through (on the headlight assembly twist cover) and make a hole in the sealed rubber grommets.
These can be found places like Lowe's or Ace Hardware for cheap! And you'll have no problem getting moisture in there. Hell, you could even add a dab of silicone based seal if you're really worried about it.
But, right now that's the least of my problems with the flickering. Trying to deal with sellers now. The load management I the 15+ challengers is tricky.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also, keep in mind that rubber firewall and panel grommets like the one I mentioned come in many sizes/thickness so find a wide and thin enough one for the size of the connector and only drill a hole for that size of the outer ring where it seals the cap if that makes sense. Hope that helps! Best of luck and let me know if that led set works out
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts