Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRT8 manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2011 SRT8 six speed with only 14,000 miles on it. I have wanted a Challenger ever since I saw a modern one on the road back in 08 or 09.. When the trucker dropped it off five days ago, I started it up and immediately noticed that the blinkers on both sides were blinking at twice the normal rate. I turned on the hazard lights and they flashed at the normal rate. The headlights are both working on normal and bright. all of the blinkers are flashing front and back. Parking lights are working. All four lights on the sides of the car work. It appears that all of the bulbs are lighting up. And the check engine light is on.. The dealer I bought it from just serviced the car and completed an extensive checklist with no problems noted. The salesman that helped me said he drove it before it was shipped and the blinkers were normal. He thinks the check engine light was not on at that time either. I have no reason to believe the check engine light problem is related to the blinker problem. I love my Challenger and decided to join this community to ask all of you experienced Challenger owners your thoughts. I have already learned a lot just reading your posts before I joined. Please help if you can!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I would start by scanning it. It has codes if the CEL is on. Cars can also have a bunch of codes even though the CEL is off.

A scan may give you all your answers.

·
Registered
Plum 2019 SXT AWD
379 Posts
Find the bad bulb/bulbs. Replaced them.

For what it is worth. I have seen several newer cars where the turn signals and hazards use the same wires, but different logic inside the body control module. Hazards will always flash normal, but the turn signals have the current monitor that will let you know one is out. I guess the logic behind it is that if you are turning on your hazard lights, at the point you really do not give a flying _ _ _ _ if a bulb is out.

As for the check engine light, get a scanner or take it to an auto parts store and use theirs.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Anytime my old car had fast blinking, there was a bulb out.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
So the dealer “thinks” the check engine light wasn’t on either. All righty then. If he’s close by, take it in and let them sort it.
Welcome to the forum, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
4,894 Posts
Welcome from New Jersey. Since you just got it I would take it back to the dealer, let them know what's going on and make sure they make it right for you. Like others have said , when I have had fast blinking lights it was usually a bad bulb.

·
Registered
2011 SRT8 manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. My dealer is in Wisconsin and I paid to have the car shipped out to Washington. The salesman told me to get it checked out and let them know.
So the dealer “thinks” the check engine light wasn’t on either. All righty then. If he’s close by, take it in and let them sort it.
Welcome to the forum, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you. I would but my dealer is in Wisconsin and I am in Eastern Washington.. They told me to get it checked out and let them know. I am thinking of buying a scanner. Does anyone recommend any of the less expensive ones that work with an iPhone?

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
I just bought a 2011 SRT8 six speed with only 14,000 miles on it. I have wanted a Challenger ever since I saw a modern one on the road back in 08 or 09.. When the trucker dropped it off five days ago, I started it up and immediately noticed that the blinkers on both sides were blinking at twice the normal rate. I turned on the hazard lights and they flashed at the normal rate. The headlights are both working on normal and bright. all of the blinkers are flashing front and back. Parking lights are working. All four lights on the sides of the car work. It appears that all of the bulbs are lighting up. And the check engine light is on.. The dealer I bought it from just serviced the car and completed an extensive checklist with no problems noted. The salesman that helped me said he drove it before it was shipped and the blinkers were normal. He thinks the check engine light was not on at that time either. I have no reason to believe the check engine light problem is related to the blinker problem. I love my Challenger and decided to join this community to ask all of you experienced Challenger owners your thoughts. I have already learned a lot just reading your posts before I joined. Please help if you can!
Hi CO2 Man,
We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist.

Rob
Dodge Cares

·
Registered
2011 SRT8 manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you. I would but my dealer is in Wisconsin and I am in Eastern Washington.. They told me to get it checked out and let them know. I am thinking of buying a scanner. Does anyone recommend any of the less expensive ones that work with an iPhone?
Hi CO2 Man,
We certainly understand why this may be concerning. We kindly recommend having your dealer inspect this concern for you as they are in the best position to assist.

Rob
Dodge Cares
Thank you. I bought it from a dealer in Wisconsin and had it shipped out to Washington so I can’t afford to take it back there. I guess I could drive into a Dodge dealership in Spokane. Of course they would have to charge me parts and labor. I was just trying to figure it out myself first. It is nice to know that Dodge cares!

·
Registered
2011 SRT8 manual
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe the OE tungsten bulbs were replaced with LEDs without any resistors to compensate for the reduction in amp load.
You are absolutely correct. I talked to the previous owner and he replaced all of the rear and side lights with LED. Thank you very much

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
885 Posts
My 2015 will show, in the center of dash, picture of car with right front turn signal not working...and it will fast blink like it's out...But then minutes later, everything fine and will go days without show and having that problem...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts