Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I have Long Tube American Racing Headers, Viper high flow cats, a X pipe, and Magnaflow mufflers. All piping is 3 inches on a 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8. I can not pass state inspection at all and it's burning a hole in my wallet. The sensors that show not ready are the EVP and the Catalyst one. The Catalyst code is saying below the threshold which, assumes I need different cats? The O2 sensors show ready. My check engine light is on as well. What brand/type of cats will make this system legal for inspection or what other parts do I need to make this work? Thanks for your help y'all. BF12

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Check Engine Light on its own is a fail in some parts of Texas, where they do Emissions checking. Most major cities of course.

Out in the countryside though, many county's don't test for emissions and a CEL isn't a problem.

Is it okay to drive your car that is registered in a emissions checking county, to one that doesn't, and get a state sticker? Or is that too obvious and they stop that?

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
You can solve your problem with a custom CMR tune. The current CMR software from DiabloSport enables the tuner to supress the CEL emission codes. The tune on both of my Challenger have been modified and I now have no problems passing emissions inspections in Virginia.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
You can solve your problem with a custom CMR tune. The current CMR software from DiabloSport enables the tuner to supress the CEL emission codes. The tune on both of my Challenger have been modified and I now have no problems passing emissions inspections in Virginia.
^ this

Not to mention your probably only getting half of your HP/TQ potential for those mods without a custom tune.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
With the CMR tune, will that turn the check engine light off and make all the sensors show as "ready" so I can pass state inspection?

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Texas does not sniff the exhaust, or even look at the pipes, they just plug into the ODBII port and look at the codes. Clear your codes, and you'll pass.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well what the OP is asking if he will pass the readiness test and I say no. When I lived in GA I didn't have a check engine light but that's because the rear O2 sensors were disabled. I kept failing the readiness test. I didn't know what it was because I didn't have a check engine light and I had cats (I had them removed 4 months prior to that). Then I realized that I had the O2 sensors disabled so got Johan to fix it.

If TX requires to pass a readiness test, you will not pass. The only thing I can suggest is the steel wool trick that some people have had luck with.

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
If you ever change your tune (performance to stock) before inspection, you will need to put some miles on it before everything will read in ready state. Took me about 20 miles (some highway and some city) before mine came up to ready state. Ign on (but engine not running) the Eng idiot light should be on solid and not blink. If it blinks, you need to drive it some more. I realize that is not the case here but the title may catch someones eye that is tuned and near inspection time.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Clear your codes, and you'll pass.
Nope, clearing codes also clears the readiness codes and unless those are set by completing the correct drive cycle the car won't pass.

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
With the CMR tune, will that turn the check engine light off and make all the sensors show as "ready" so I can pass state inspection?
Yes, with the custom CMR tune your rear O2 sensors will be on the and readiness code will be activated. All emissions related CELs will be supressed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Texas does not sniff the exhaust, or even look at the pipes, they just plug into the ODBII port and look at the codes. Clear your codes, and you'll pass.

Not true. Here in El Paso, they are required to "sniff" the exhaust. A CEL is an automatic fail. If they light is on, they can not pass it even if they try. Getting the CEL to disappear is the major issue you need to address.

A state inspection is about $25 IRRC. I pay $45 and they skip everything but the plugging it in (which is required and will see the CEL). I go to some "not so great" areas in the town to make sure I was going to get an appropriate shop. Cash in hand, of course.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts