Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Quick history on my challenger. Everything is stock.

Bought brand new with 45 miles on it. At 300 miles it had a mis-fire on cylinder 5, head was rebuilt.

Error code P0128 Thermostat issue (vehicle is not heating up in the allotted time frame) code came up 5 times now, on the following mileage.

045 miles - purchased car 9/26/10
300 miles - head teardown, and rebuild.
703 miles - p0128
1024 miles - p0128
1856 miles - p0128
2546 miles - p0128 Installed flight recorder to monitor computer
2667 miles - p0128 (3/7/11)

I have a case open with Chrysler, all work has been covered under warranty, and they have even made a vehicle payment for me. They stated if my vehicle goes to the shop for the same issue more than 4 times, I am protected under the lemon law. Chrysler denied to replace the vehicle before the last repair.

What would you guys do if you were me in this situation. I raised my concern at 300 miles when they took my head to a local shop to have it rebuilt. I wanted Chrysler to rebuild it, no some local Joe with out dated tools. Ever since then I've had the same p0128 code.

Should I fight to get my vehicle replace? ask for new motor swap? I'm really tired of taking a brand new car with 2500 miles to the shop every other month.

Unrelated my Girlfriends brand new 2010 Nitro has been to the shop twice now to replace a power steering pump at 10,000 miles, and a parking break sensor.

·
Premium Member
7,304 Posts
p0128

Was the thermostat replaced? I've heard bad things about your typical parts store el-cheapo thermostat. Ask if it was replaced and was it an OEM thermostat.

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the thermostat replaced? I've heard bad things about your typical parts store el-cheapo thermostat. Ask if it was replaced and was it an OEM thermostat.
Thermostat was replaced each time, they've also replaced all related sensors. I'm concerned it may be something wrong with the head. Maybe a piece was notched or bumped during the rebuild? :scratchhead::scratchhead:

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this the only dealer around you? Sounds like they need to MOPAR 101 again.
There are a few other dealers, I've been taking it to the closest one, I guess I need to venture to a further one.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Write a letter to Chrysler and send it Certified Mail RRR. Include the VIN The date you purchased it the dealer you purchased it from and the current mileage.List all the concerns you have had with it and if you can send a copy of the repair orders and you buyers order. You should be able to find your KC Zone office address in the warranty booklet. They will contact you. If not, Lemon Law it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thermostat or air pocket. Buy a new thermostat, replace it and purge the system yourself. Do not trust the dealer mechanics to purge it. One way to know if you have air in the system is if you can hear coolant flowing though the heater core on a cold start up. If you can't do it yourself then start a fresh relationship with a new dealer and have them change the thermostat and purge the air. Good Luck!

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/thermostat-chg-out-crap-help-48753/

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I sued GM for my 2003 Chevy Avalanche...the transfer case would go into Neutral and wouldnt come out...you'd turn the car off for 1/2 hour and it would reset...they couldnt find the issue and pissed me off

the car was 2 years old and had just gotten over the 36,000 warranty

i sued under the Magnoson Moss warranty act...i think it was like 4-5x for the same problem durring the warranty period (whatever the warranty was for the item)...the law is for everthing...cars, stoves, furnaces...anything w/ a warranty

i kept bringing in the truck while the lawsuit was going forward..i was up to 12x

I won $10,000 and the loser pays the lawyer bills, so GM paid another $5,000 for the lawyer...$15,000 total..it took 2 months and i did nothing other than hire a lawyer who specialized in lemon laws....if i had lost he would not have charged me anything..he told me he doesnt take cases he wont win...

i sold my avalanche for $10,000 less than what i paid for it...so i drove it for 40,000 miles for free....i sold the car before the final payment came through, so there was nothing attached to my car legally yet....if there would have been a problem collecting from GM in the last week i would have been screwed because i didnt own the car i was sueing for anymore

·
Banned
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thermostat or air pocket. Buy a new thermostat, replace it and purge the system yourself. Do not trust the dealer mechanics to purge it. One way to know if you have air in the system is if you can hear coolant flowing though the heater core on a cold start up. If you can't do it yourself then start a fresh relationship with a new dealer and have them change the thermostat and purge the air. Good Luck!

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/thermostat-chg-out-crap-help-48753/
Ever since the head rebuild I've noticed the sound of coolant running through the heater core at start up. I will mention this to the dealer. I'm not doing 1 minute of labor my self on a brand new car, dodge messed it up so they can fix it, I spend enough time fixing up my old cars, which is why I bought a brand new car, so I wouldn't have to worry about wrenching on it. I'm taking it to a different dealership tomorrow, and going to point out the sound of the coolant in the heater core (i just figured it was normal) since it was happening since I pretty much purchased my car.

I sued GM for my 2003 Chevy Avalanche...the transfer case would go into Neutral and wouldnt come out...you'd turn the car off for 1/2 hour and it would reset...they couldnt find the issue and pissed me off

the car was 2 years old and had just gotten over the 36,000 warranty

i sued under the Magnoson Moss warranty act...i think it was like 4-5x for the same problem durring the warranty period (whatever the warranty was for the item)...the law is for everthing...cars, stoves, furnaces...anything w/ a warranty

i kept bringing in the truck while the lawsuit was going forward..i was up to 12x

I won $10,000 and the loser pays the lawyer bills, so GM paid another $5,000 for the lawyer...$15,000 total..it took 2 months and i did nothing other than hire a lawyer who specialized in lemon laws....if i had lost he would not have charged me anything..he told me he doesnt take cases he wont win...

i sold my avalanche for $10,000 less than what i paid for it...so i drove it for 40,000 miles for free....i sold the car before the final payment came through, so there was nothing attached to my car legally yet....if there would have been a problem collecting from GM in the last week i would have been screwed because i didnt own the car i was sueing for anymore
I hope it doesn't lead to that, but by law I should classify. Hell I'll be happy if every month My car goes to a dodge service center, they make my monthly payment. Which was my main complaint last time. I spend all this money on a new car to sit in their shops. Also of the 2600 miles on my car, the dodge mechanics have put almost 400 of those miles on it "test driving it" to make sure it was fixed.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
GM refused to fix my problem...thats why i sued...when i would bring the car in while it was doing it they refused to bring it into the repair shop...theyd say 'make an appointment'....well 2 days later it wasnt doing it...

what pushed me over the edge was the truck had 35,970 miles on it and it was doing it...i brought it in and they wouldnt even come out and look...i said id bring it back tomorrow and they said 'if it has over 36,000 miles your screwed...id park it'....i later found out the 'real' warranty is '38,000'...they give you 2,000 more thousand in reality...

a salesman at the dealership told me to get a lawyer (he was a ffriend/former work out partner)...when i won i gave him $200 for the tip.

they did actually find and fix my problem..it was a sensor...i feel most of the problem was with the dealer and not GM....i took it to another dealer and they found the problem in 10 minutes....the car was actually fixed and i still won the law suit...fixing it had nothing to do with it at that point....

i also had a friend who lemon lawed 2 Dodge Avengers....break problems

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'd lemon law it. Sometimes, for whatever the reason or circumstance, some cars just are "bad". I have had this happen once to a Mercedes Benz. Great cars in general, but this one I had just had one problem after another after another. You start to distrust the car, you start to have bad feelings for the manufacturer, you bad talk the car to your friends and family. There are lemon laws because this happens sometimes. Thankfully, it is pretty rare anymore. But I would start over with a new one. Sometimes you can even work a real sweet deal on an new model (or upgrade model) because the dealer (and the manufacturer) wants you happy and not out there bad mouthing them and the product.

·
Banned
3,777 Posts
mauls - listen to stonewhiteRT's advice - his paying real world job (master mechanic) is to arbitrate cases like yours

1 - 13 of 13 Posts