Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
cosmetic...about $40, ten minute install, when hood is shut you can't tell the difference

Reactions: burneeey

·
Registered
332 Posts
Do a search for hood pins and you will find lots of threads with pics. Anyway here is mine..... (Mopar)

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
I have the same phonies as posters # 2 and # 3 and love 'em. :) As someone once said, it's like nipple rings for my car and pure bling. I wanted to enhance the nostalgic look and tie in with a couple of chrome accents (that gas door cover is a little lost on stock cars).
I might feel bad if function was needed, but it's not with the stock hood so... Expect to raise some eyebrows with those, however. And few people (even in auto shops) know what hood pins are or what they do anymore. I have to show people that the hood opens normally and they don't have to pull on the pins (that I epoxied in place).
Modern Billet Mustang Chrome Hood Pin Appearance Kit (79-13 All) - Free Shipping

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here's mine. Just installed today! I went with the Black Mopar ones and plasti dipped them matte black. Very stoked!

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Real Mopar pins.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Wow, never knew there was such a thing as fake hood pins, why not just put the real deal on. I want to get some original '70 style functional pins for mine.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Wow, never knew there was such a thing as fake hood pins, why not just put the real deal on. I want to get some original '70 style functional pins for mine.
1. some things are just for looks
2. some folks don't want to ruin a hood drilling holes for what is in essence a cosmetic mod anyway
3. ease of installation
4. ease of going back to stock
5. you don't need real pins on a stock hood, with a working hood latch, on a car that's not being raced
6. personal preference

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Wow, never knew there was such a thing as fake hood pins, why not just put the real deal on.
It's for those who don't care about what they do (pretty much nothing on a stock hood, by the way), but still want a certain look. To me they're purely like stripes - stick-on cosmetic stuff. That's the same reason why the factory installs non-functional vents or hood scoops: not needed for normal use, but those who want it can order the real deal. And you have people who think of resale and don't want to turn off buyers with mods than can't be undone. Some are probably not sure they want all their mods for life either.

If I went through the trouble of getting and installing real hood pins... it would ONLY be so I can say they're real. Ok, I did just that with my interior wood kit when I ordered real wood instead of synthetic, but it was just a matter of price then, no drilling needed. And like with hood pins people can't tell the difference so 'real' is mostly about bragging rights and the personal satisfaction of having something functional, or genuine, installed. Matter of preference is all.

ETA: crap, IDMTfirefighter posted pretty much the exact same thing while I was typing.

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
Reactions: USRWDV8

·
Registered
368 Posts
Personally I feel that putting "fake" or "replica" parts on your car is pointless. I mean why would you want to advertise something that your implying you have when in reality it's not even real or functioning?

I get not wanting to drill into your stock hood, but if you want the look of hood pins that's exactly what you need to do. Stick on's just don't work for my taste. How do you explain it when you open your hood? To me it's like putting an SRT badge on your grill when you own an SE, SXT or R/T. Or putting Vossen center caps on some cheap, knock off rims. I just don't get it. If your going to put the time and effort into a mod, then I say do it correctly and buy the real deal. Being cheap is one thing, but being lazy is something altogether different. This goes for all mod's in my opinion. It always kills me when someone won't spend an extra $75 to get original MOPAR or other name brand parts when they spent 30-45K on the car they're putting them on!!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Regarding where to buy the cosmetic stick-on ones:

I believe it was Americanmuscle.com or something like that. Actually a mustang site but obviously the application is universal. Also available on ebay at times. I think Ray, USRWDV8 and I have the same set, but I just bought mine so the price probably had gone up since Ray bought them.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Personally I feel that putting "fake" or "replica" parts on your car is pointless. I mean why would you want to advertise something that your implying you have when in reality it's not even real or functioning?
I get what you're saying and then I don't. Because I have the same instinctive "not this ricer shit on my car" gut reaction, and then because once you give it serious thought it doesn't hold any water. Lemme explain:

Vinyl roofs were designed to give the visual illusion of a convertible so they were pure fakery and were installed by the factory back in the day. Now to give their modern car a more retro vibe some put vinyl, others wrap and others yet paint on their roof. Another useless, pointless, not factory, and purely cosmetic mod. Yet it looks great if you're into it (I am).
What about stripes? Why do cars have them if they're not race cars? It's all image and suggestion. Stripes come from the factory or the aftermarket too. Now my R/T came without... so if I decided to put some R/T stripes on it would it be fakery? And are vinyl, instead of painted, stripes not fakery to begin with?
Tall rims? Why do many SE or SXT owners use those? They didn't come with them from the factory. Are they trying to impersonate higher trims? Why does everybody put on oversize rubber, you really think it's for more grip and traction? Or is all this purely a matter of taste? And, more importantly, who cares?

The analogy with posing and upbadging doesn't apply because no one is suggesting performance with hood pins, especially today when no one except old farts know what they are, and unlike wide rims and fat rubber, for example. They're literally 'tits on a boar' and you sound like there should be mammary glands under them or you'll cry foul.

So how to explain fake hood pins? I had to a few times, and on the work order I had people simply write "fake hood pins - do not pull". Real hood pins would also necessitate a lot of explanations even to mechanics these days, by the way.

I also have stick-on chrome door handles because I didn't want to immobilize my daily driver by taking them apart to have them done, with the risk that they wouldn't function properly afterwards. I have stick-on wood trim in my interior because it was easy and cheap, removable, and looked good. And wasn't the factory fake wood made of vinyl contact paper back in the day? You're getting the picture. It's about being practical, realistic, and not taking oneself too seriously, not about being a fraud.

Of course, I get what you're saying because in theory there's a right way and a wrong way to go about mods. But nowadays when even the factory uses double-sided tape for spoilers and badges... who's to say you can't just stick things on and they have to be bolted down or riveted (it was like that in my day)? And aren't manufacturers lying when they make fake vents or heat extractors, or put huge spoilers on cars that'll never see a track and will probably hardly go over 80? Car design, like women's makeup or fashion is a lot about false advertising. So making a big deal about stick-on hood pins is pretty naïve when you think about it. Mine don't say 'Mopar'... and neither do my rims nor my tires. My T-handle does, and I understand it's made in China so I'm not so proud of it, by the way.

Now that the look of my car is solidifying and I'm fairly sure I'm going to keep the pins... I know I'll eventually replace them with functional ones. Just to avoid reactions like yours and to save the time needed to explain why the fake ones make sense. IDMTfirefighter and I have been saying the same thing thread after thread, and it gets old so I think I'll just cave in. Not to fit in, not because it's the right thing to do, not because I need the function, but out of fatigue. :icon_smile:

·
Registered
368 Posts
I get what you're saying and then I don't. Because I have the same instinctive "not this ricer shit on my car" gut reaction, and then because once you give it serious thought it doesn't hold any water. Lemme explain:

Vinyl roofs were designed to give the visual illusion of a convertible so they were pure fakery and were installed by the factory back in the day. Now to give their modern car a more retro vibe some put vinyl, others wrap and others yet paint on their roof. Another useless, pointless, not factory, and purely cosmetic mod. Yet it looks great if you're into it (I am).
What about stripes? Why do cars have them if they're not race cars? It's all image and suggestion. Stripes come from the factory or the aftermarket too. Now my R/T came without... so if I decided to put some R/T stripes on it would it be fakery? And are vinyl, instead of painted, stripes not fakery to begin with?
Tall rims? Why do many SE or SXT owners use those? They didn't come with them from the factory. Are they trying to impersonate higher trims? Why does everybody put on oversize rubber, you really think it's for more grip and traction? Or is all this purely a matter of taste? And, more importantly, who cares?

The analogy with posing and upbadging doesn't apply because no one is suggesting performance with hood pins, especially today when no one except old farts know what they are, and unlike wide rims and fat rubber, for example. They're literally 'tits on a boar' and you sound like there should be mammary glands under them or you'll cry foul.

So how to explain fake hood pins? I had to a few times, and on the work order I had people simply write "fake hood pins - do not pull". Real hood pins would also necessitate a lot of explanations even to mechanics these days, by the way.

I also have stick-on chrome door handles because I didn't want to immobilize my daily driver by taking them apart to have them done, with the risk that they wouldn't function properly afterwards. I have stick-on wood trim in my interior because it was easy and cheap, removable, and looked good. And wasn't the factory fake wood made of vinyl contact paper back in the day? You're getting the picture. It's about being practical, realistic, and not taking oneself too seriously, not about being a fraud.

Of course, I get what you're saying because in theory there's a right way and a wrong way to go about mods. But nowadays when even the factory uses double-sided tape for spoilers and badges... who's to say you can't just stick things on and they have to be bolted down or riveted (it was like that in my day)? And aren't manufacturers lying when they make fake vents or heat extractors, or put huge spoilers on cars that'll never see a track and will probably hardly go over 80? Car design, like women's makeup or fashion is a lot about false advertising. So making a big deal about stick-on hood pins is pretty naïve when you think about it. Mine don't say 'Mopar'... and neither do my rims nor my tires. My T-handle does, and I understand it's made in China so I'm not so proud of it, by the way.

Now that the look of my car is solidifying and I'm fairly sure I'm going to keep the pins... I know I'll eventually replace them with functional ones. Just to avoid reactions like yours and to save the time needed to explain why the fake ones make sense. IDMTfirefighter and I have been saying the same thing thread after thread, and it gets old so I think I'll just cave in. Not to fit in, not because it's the right thing to do, not because I need the function, but out of fatigue. :icon_smile:
I can understand most of what your saying but I don't have to agree with all of it. Tires for instance are a modification and can be done many different ways with many different combinations regardless of brand or size. So as long as you buy rims and tires and tighten the lug nuts down, then it's all good. Just don't try to make your rims look like $6,000 rims by putting false labels on them when you bought $600 rims.

As far as vinyl goes, I could care less what color or style anyone does, it's a personal preference. Nobody's trying to make their car look like something it isn't, it's just an extension of the color scheme. If you want to put fake wood grain in your interior, then go for it... Your not trying to make anyone think it's something it isn't. It's what 99.9% of interior is made from.

If you re- read my post , I purposely began with the words "PERSONALLY I FEEL", which is stating my opinion, nothing more, nothing less. If people want to put fake sticky hood pins on their hoods because they are worried about if the next guy won't buy their car , then it's their personal choice, but for me I like to do things as genuine and original to the old school way that I can. These are supposed to be retro cars and I'll do as much retro work to them as I can, all the while staying as true to the original muscle cars as I possibly can. If people want to take short cuts and cut corners to save money I guarantee it will bite them in the ass in the end. If I had the choice of 2 identical Challengers sitting in front of me to buy, with the only difference being one had stick on hood pins and the other having genuine MOPAR hood pins, I would pick the MOPAR one 11 times out of 10. Personal preference.

A side note is that I take pride in doing almost every mod myself. I am fortunate enough to have a good friend who is very skilled when it comes to cars and he has mentored me with doing all of my mods on my car. I have saved literally thousands of dollars by getting my hands dirty so I guess that's why I have no problem spending the money on high quality parts. Doing the work yourself can really help out. Take care.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Well said, Wild West. All any of us can state is personal opinion anyway so those will differ in every thread; it's a given. All we can do is express them the best we can and leave it to the reader to make up his/her mind.

I'll just add that if Dodge had reissued the Challenger more faithfully to the original blueprints I think that more care should be taken to be as genuine as possible. But I see the whole car as an ersatz on which fake pins are fitting. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it's really a Charger made to look like a Challenger, with cues from the 1970 and 1971, if I recall correctly. But side by side, the classic and the modern are not the same car at all and much of the design is trickery to suggest the 1970s.

So I gave up a long time ago on the idea of making a good replica and my mods are merely nods to a by-gone era. I love and respect the car, but don't treat it as I would an original. I also respect the lengths to which others have gone to recreate the retro look, but, for me anyway, it doesn't quite work (see the Retro USA chrome bumpers, for example). That's why I went with only a few visual cues that I truly see as make-up for my car.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts