Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to get my Challenger tinted within the next 2 weeks . I just wanted to see some of the tint jobs you guys already have on your rides. Living here in VA, the tint laws are "anal" , but I want a "borderline legal " tint job that still looks good. I had 20% on my SS Camaro for damn near 10 years before they really started crackin' down on cars here in Richmond, VA. I got 2 tickets in 1 week !! $92.00 pop!! :smokin: So, I had the tint removed from my side windows and installed 50%...ain't that some bs. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That looks awesome , Cap!! I wish I could go that dark. "F'n" VA TINT LAWS SUCKS !! Thanks for the pic. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is in Ct. Not legal but not worried about being hassled. Every car ever get I have the windows done including the wife's MDX. This is I believe 20% one step below Limo, doesn't seem that dark to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
I was planning on 20% 3M color stable but the poster above with the 35 had me know considering the 30% 3M ceramic. Plus I worried about not being able to see out of the back at night with the 20% when backing up and parking. On a side note, can I be pulled over and ticketed for tint in another state while driving through if I have legal tint where the car is registered? Reason I ask is I gotta travel from FL to PA this summer and I know a few places I need to go through that you don't go a single mile over the speed limit with out of state plates. I'm assuming they are gonna pull me over for tint in these areas

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I could have sworn that VA law was changed withiin the past year to allow 35% tint. :scratchhead:

In any event, I have 50% tint all around, and it's plenty dark enough for my black car with mostly black interior.

·
Registered
981 Posts
By the way, this our Durango. You can see the difference between the 20% rear and 30% Llumar front windows. I have had 20% all around on other vehicles and didn't like how other drivers couldn't see me so I chose 35/30 (based on brand availability) for my Challenger and Durango, respectively.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got 35 on mine. Like captain said. In some pictures it can look darker than it does in person. It's a good balance between cool factor and usability. Night time it's just light enough that it's not too much trouble seeing behind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
‘13 Challenger SRT 6M
2,817 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
first mod was my tint not sure the percentage. do know its not legal. i have been pulled over already and havent owned it a year yet. the trooper was cool about it said he loved the car after thoroughly checking it out told me to remove the tint and sent me on my way. i paid too much to remove and i love the look IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I could have sworn that VA law was changed withiin the past year to allow 35% tint. :scratchhead:

In any event, I have 50% tint all around, and it's plenty dark enough for my black car with mostly black interior.
I don't know ,but I'm going to check into it. But I do believe it's up to the officer's discretion . BS:smokin:

Anyway, thanks for all the pics ,fellas !! Everybody's ride looks great !! :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
My G8 GT had 35% when I bought it, barely had it off the lot when the OSHP stopped me and asked for a $100 donation....50% will have to do for me.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I don't know what % my tint is, I just know that it is not legal, and that I have to roll my windows down at night lol.

Totally worth it with the heat here, and less likely to be hassled by cops because of that.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
here is the VA tint laws :

How dark can your window tint be in Virginia?

Window tint darkness is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Virginia this refers to the percent of visible light allowed in through both the film and the glass. You can find out exactly how much VLT is allowed on your auto window tint in Virginia, categorized by sedans and SUVs and vans.
TINT DARKNESS FOR SEDANS:
Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
Front Side windows: Must allow more than 50% of light in.
Back Side windows: Must allow more than 35% of light in.
Rear Window: Must allow more than 35% of light in.

This shit just makes me want to move to Florida !!..lol :)

Reactions: DJ Hemi

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
first mod was my tint not sure the percentage. do know its not legal. i have been pulled over already and havent owned it a year yet. the trooper was cool about it said he loved the car after thoroughly checking it out told me to remove the tint and sent me on my way. i paid too much to remove and i love the look View attachment 195338

View attachment 195346
Sharp looking car.Police don't like tint,they really don't like reflective tint.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts