Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2012 dodge challenger R/T
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start tinkering with performance modifications this winter while the car is stored. My current plan is a 6.4 cam, upgraded valve springs (mopar p/n 68277306aa) maybe pushrods if necessary (feel free to say yay or nay). 6.4 intake manifold, long tube headers, i am i am thinking hooker blackheart or JBA, and a hearthrob catback. An OEM hellcat clutch and flywheel (I've got 85k miles on whatever might be in there)

So the real dilemma is, do i roll with the 6.4 camshaft, or is there something better out there for a 5.7 that wont sacrifice the functionality of vvt and lowend power. I'm not doing any sort of competition driving, except the occasional test and tune att the local drag strip and spirited backroad driving.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
556 Posts
For what you're saying the 392 cam sounds fine. I went with Manley pushrods .80 wall cuz they were cheap insurance.
As far as clutch that's something I'd personally only change if it's slipping because I've seen some last 20k miles and others last 120k, but the hellcat clutch is a great option.
Since you have 85k miles, I'd change valve seals while you're there but do not use anything other than oem seals, you can see my numerous threads on here about problems with seals popping off the guides. Oem is the only option.
For headers the ones you mentioned are fine but I prefer anything that uses 304 stainless as it doesn't rust, which means hooker, SW,Kooks, ARH etc.
After all the mods you listed expect ~400whp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good call on the valve seals, now that you mention it, i have noticed a pretty good size puff of smoke on startup two or three times in the past month or so.
The reason i was going to go ahead with the clutch is because i want to pull the transmission to check if the input shaft is dry. I have a tough time getting it in and out of gear, it's much better after the clutch delay valve delete, but still not as good as i think it should be. So while I'm in there why not.

400whp sounds like a good estimate, although im not really chasing a number, just really looking for a solid setup to have fun and hammer around in.

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
556 Posts
Good call on the valve seals, now that you mention it, i have noticed a pretty good size puff of smoke on startup two or three times in the past month or so.
The reason i was going to go ahead with the clutch is because i want to pull the transmission to check if the input shaft is dry. I have a tough time getting it in and out of gear, it's much better after the clutch delay valve delete, but still not as good as i think it should be. So while I'm in there why not.

400whp sounds like a good estimate, although im not really chasing a number, just really looking for a solid setup to have fun and hammer around in.
Yea if ur already in there I'd do the same. It's pretty fun and definitely notice a big difference. My brother just got my exact car yesterday but in B5 and auto trans, and while his is a little smoother mine definitely pulls WAY harder. Mines only a little rough cuz I need a tune revision for ~1500rpm but I'm not gonna waste time since I have a blower on the way.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as tuning goes, I'm going the HP tuners route. That's what the shop around here is comfortable using.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts