Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need input advice and or stories on filters. Should I stay with factory OEM 16 SRT 392 Filter or a 16 Hellcat filter. Not interested in k&n or aftermarket kits I've wasted enough money on those with other vehicles what a waste anyways. I went to my new local Dodge dealership and they wanted FIFTY-FOUR Dollars for OEM SRT air filter almost s--- myself. So I will be shopping with Steve White again nobody can come close to his prices that I've found. Gold mine. Thanks for any input.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,676 Posts
If the factory filter has gotten the car this far with no issues why switch filters midstream?

$54 is not a lot of money in the scheme of servicing a vehicle. How often do you have to replace the filter? Besides a less expensive filter might not be as good a filter. Do you want to use your car to test alternatives to the factory filter?

My recommendation would be to just stick with what you know fits properly and just works.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,300 Posts
The Hellcat SRT filter is part: #MOPAR 68172459AA.
You can find them on amazon and other places for around the $45-$50. If you are looking to upgrade from the SXT, R/T, Scatpack filter (MOPAR #04861746AA) which runs about $30, you cant beat it.
You can cross ref the 04861746AA number for applicable replacements made by clevite, densco, fram, etc.

It should be noted however, that the factory SRT filter, although identicle in size, shape, etc, has a few subtile differences in build quality and has shown to flow more cfm.
There are also several "dry" aftermarket units like AEM that perform very well without the "mysting" issues of K&N, Green and other oil based units. SRT also recommends not to run these (wet) type of filters, but people dismiss that for some odd reason....
Dry filters will set you back a few more $$ but will last you much longer, can be cleaned, etc.
Personally, I stay away from cheap chinese made knock off/repalcement filters, they often flow less, degrade faster and do not filter down to the appropriate micron level.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
7,651 Posts
I know you don't want to hear about after market but I use an AEM drop in filter, 40 bucks and I can wash it and reuse it, no oiling like a K&N plust I believe that AEM makes the "Cone" Filters for the T/A and Mopar CAI including the new Hellcat intake. Just some "food for thought".

·
Registered
725 Posts
When i had my 2012 SRT8 jeep bone stock changing filters had no change in times then i pulled the filter out and ran without any filter and it picked up .1 and 1 mph in the 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Stock hellcat paper filter is the best. More flow than the 392 filter, no oiling, no expensive aftermarket dry filters, etc. Hellcat airbox and hellcat paper filter is solid.
That's what I've been running for 3 1/2 years.

It'll flow more than the 392 needs, OEM parts, so stick them on and forget about it.

I didn't add this set up thinking that I would gain any HP or speed. I wanted more ambient air avaiable to the engine.

Cooler air, better throttle response in hot weather was the goal, and this set up works.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

It'll flow more than the 392 needs, OEM parts, so stick them on and forget about it.

I didn't add this set up thinking that I would gain any HP or speed. I wanted more ambient air avaiable to the engine.

Cooler air, better throttle response in hot weather was the goal, and this set up works.
Don't be afraid to swap in a 180 tstat for the summer season too. You'd be surprised at how much of a difference it makes, even with the stock tune!

·
Premium Member
2016 SRT
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks much.

Mopar or No Car

·
Registered
720 Posts
Need input advice and or stories on filters. Should I stay with factory OEM 16 SRT 392 Filter or a 16 Hellcat filter. Not interested in k&n or aftermarket kits I've wasted enough money on those with other vehicles what a waste anyways. I went to my new local Dodge dealership and they wanted FIFTY-FOUR Dollars for OEM SRT air filter almost s--- myself. So I will be shopping with Steve White again nobody can come close to his prices that I've found. Gold mine. Thanks for any input.

Mopar or No Car
Dale, I always use the OEM Hellcat filter. I get it from Steve White usually, but have also found good deals on this filter on Amazon. I have access to an Amazon Prime account, so it's no shipping cost...and I didn't have to change underwear!
Rick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts