Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I am moving to an automatic, hopefully sometime in 2011, I would like to know a little bit more about it.

This is not who has the best tranny, that I don't care about, this is not a pi$$ing contest.

I want to understand what the tranny builders do to the internals.

I have heard about the blue top solenoids to strengthen the shifts.

I assume they change the clutches?

A good friend is a Dodge mechanic, he sent me a picture of a NAG1 output shaft that is snapped. Appears he has replaced a couple when people are spinning on ice and hit dry pavement.

Weak point? I can't remember seeing anyone busting an output shaft, do they upgrade that is well?

Looking for some good info so when I put the boost to this bad 392, I can upgrade accordingly.

Thanks.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Alan we need to talk, Ive got bad news on the techco front

Im betting they broke it doing something like a neutral drop. Not just spinning on ice. The input and output are pretty stout from the factory.

here is a interesting video

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
From what I have heard, the new 392 will come with a beefier NAG1 than its SRT predecessor had before. They also have valve body kits and upgrades that you can do to it as well. I think it's a good trans for a basic racer. If you want to go ripping down the track doing 9-10 seconds, then an upgrade might be called for.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
One Call SHR

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Goehner you need a car first before you need a updated Transmission !

·
Registered
435 Posts
They had some issues with output shafts in 4x4 Jeeps with the NAG1.They have a different extension housing and shaft.Haven't seen any 2wd shafts break here in the south.The racing trans builders use better clutch materials and do machine work to fit more clutches in the drums.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
The vultures are already circling...LOL! Just kiddin' boatman.

Alan - BW's got a good point. Call Eddie at SHR and he's spend time on the phone with you educating you on the finer points of the NAG1. Won't cost you a dime. He's an interesting gent. We chatted a bit about 6-speeds, but his specialty is the NAG1.

HemiSam

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have met Eddie, so I am aware.

I have had a crap ton of pm's asking about my Techco, but when I mention a price, I get no response.

I think everyone is confident I am going to give it away and this is just not the case.

My Techco is polished and man it would look sweet on the 392, heck on anything. I actually would not be upset if it didn't fit, I will just buy something else that KB or whoever makes for the 392 and call it done.

Back to the NAG1, any technical info besides blue tops, more clutches?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Why would you give it away the dam thing is still new. I don't want to talk $$ yet to early you don't even have your car so... Anyway I hope it works out for you to use first and formost.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mike, why don't you post the info on here so all 6.1 owners will have the info?

Or better yet, start another thread so we can all be aware. I am sure there are plenty of 6.1 guys thinking of the 392 and using their old supercharger, you could help the team if you post the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts