Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to let my 2010 Challenger SE go. It's got over 300,000 miles on it and it's time for a new ride. I've had my mind made up on a 2018 Charger with a Hemi and AWD BUT I CAN'T GET ONE!!!! They don't make them that way anymore.. EXCEPT as Police pursuit cars. So now, I'm sending emails around to local dealers to see if they can order a Red Pursuit Charger with a Hemi and AWD. Just gimme what I want! How hard can it be?

Greg

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Keep bugging them, i know a local dealer that has an overstock of those awd hemi chargers that didnt get sold to the city and they dont even know what to do with em

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the tip. Since I posted this, I went to Autotrader.com to check dealer inventories nationwide. There seem to be at least 50 or AWD Hemi Charger cop cars for sale in the USA and one is actually red. The only bad news is none of them has Sirius XM. Beggars can't be choosers sometimes. Average price is 39k. Not too shabby. Most of these cars are out west and I'm in Massachusetts. Wonder if a dealer will work with me on this?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
My bed is to have something unique, i would do it ! Plus i cant imagine an AWD 5.7 is much slower than a 6.4. + all the handling benefits of having an AWD especially for our boaty cars

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
If that's what rocks your boat, there's hardly anything unique about it and you'd be paying new car money for an old car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Just be sure this is really the way you want to go. Most pursuit Chargers come with the basic black steel wheels, no center console or armrest (or cupholders), the goofy dashboard mounted "column shift" which controls the old NAG1 5 speed automatic (no 8 speed trans for police), no underhood insulation or plastic cover over the Hemi (so you're going to hear allot of fuel injector pulse ticking), very basic radio with no Sirius as you mentioned, prob rubber floor mat instead of carpet, also no trunk lid insulation. Prob also a birds nest of wiring coiled up on the floor to be used for electrical equipment. Pursuit Chargers are cool as heck but remember they are designed to be heavy duty work vehicles and not so much built for comfort and convenience. Do yourself a favor and test drive a V6 AWD Charger or Challenge before you pass judgement on them. The Pentastar 3.6 V6 is a much stronger motor than the old 3.5 was.

·
Registered
6,341 Posts
I wanted an AWD Hemi car too. Dodge didn't make what I wanted..... So I went elsewhere!

·
Registered
14 Posts
As a former municipal mechanic, I can confirm all these points. Bare bones is an understatement. For some time the crown vics that we ordered didn't even have cruise control. Cars that were spec'd out for a take home cars or non police municipal vehicles only added minor comfort options. Good luck though, all black with steel wheels and a push bumper looks pretty cool. If a fire department ordered a red one, thats probably fully loaded, they always get the good stuff!

·
Super Moderator
13,860 Posts
Plus i cant imagine an AWD 5.7 is much slower than a 6.4. + all the handling benefits of having an AWD especially for our boaty cars

While the AWD 5.7 will certainly have great traction, it will not compare to the power of a 392.

Test drive a 392 and see for yourself.

·
Registered
14,285 Posts
You won't pay $39K, you can get it for close to what the PD would pay, mid to high $20"s. But it can't be a new sale and no way could you order one, the dealer is not allowed to as FCA has restrictions on who can buy new Pursuits, but as a used car, they can sell to anybody. So they'll do a title or demo trick on a lot car and you can buy it, technically used but still brand new. Just gotta find some 2017 or 2018 on lot and a dealer willing to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Better off investing in good tires than awd...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got my Challenger in 2010. I live in Massachusetts. I got a set of rims from a Charger and had studded snow tires put on and I swapped those out every season. Traction was better but I've had many days of white knuckle driving and slight fish tailing in the snow. I drive at least 150 miles a day, to and from work and other places. I need AWD.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I got my Challenger in 2010. I live in Massachusetts. I got a set of rims from a Charger and had studded snow tires put on and I swapped those out every season. Traction was better but I've had many days of white knuckle driving and slight fish tailing in the snow. I drive at least 150 miles a day, to and from work and other places. I need AWD.
Well, up to you. You can also get a loaded GT for that money and have heated seats along with all the other creature comforts.

I don't see AWD Pursuit Charger being a worthwhile purchase unless you get it for a really good price.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, up to you. You can also get a loaded GT for that money and have heated seats along with all the other creature comforts.

I don't see AWD Pursuit Charger being a worthwhile purchase unless you get it for a really good price.

The Pursuit guys have warned me NOT to pay over 28K or that range. Sounds like good advice so that's the goal.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts