Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the though of a $160 ticket has been buggin me. I looked at quite a few Challengers at the Belvidere Mopar Happening
here in Illinois a week ago and imo came to the conclusion its not awefull at all especially on a Dark car.
However my Header Orange was another story so I painted it, put the screws in and am quite pleased with the results.
Put on 1970 plates for the Pics and now have the standard issued ones installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Challenger 1320
2,428 Posts
Well the though of a $160 ticket has been buggin me. I looked at quite a few Challengers at the Belvidere Mopar Happening
here in Illinois a week ago and imo came to the conclusion its not awefull at all especially on a Dark car.
However my Header Orange was another story so I painted it, put the screws in and am quite pleased with the results.
Put on 1970 plates for the Pics and now have the standard issued ones installed.

Well D'uh...such an obvious solution and I never thought of it! Nice job!

Standard wheels
Driver Convenience Group
Leather Interior Group
Sound Group II
8.4 Uconnect (No Nav)
Technology Group

Passed on:
Scat Pack Appearance Group - didn't want grill blacked out
Dodge Stripes - have my own ideas in mind!
Sun Roof - having A/C is "un-muscle car enough!"

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
Good solution, but I am going to take my chances right now. Where are you in Illinois? I am down near Peoria. I was planning on going to the Belvidere show but something came up. Was it a good show?

The state fine in Illinois is $75. Are they adding to that where you live?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Looks okay painted, kinda blends in.......my car is black but I'm gonna hold out putting plate on front

·
Registered
37 Posts
what kind of paint did you use? I'm having the same concern as most readers around here. I ordered a new R/T+ in Sublime. It would be great if I could match that as well as you did yours.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I am a volunteer Sheriff Deputy, I park my car regularly in front of the Law Enforcement Center so I have cops walking/driving in front of my car on a frequent basis. I have never once gotten a ticket for not having a front plate or been asked about it.

Nice work :)

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Unless you're getting chased in reverse, why is a front plate necessary?
I don't hear of chaos and bedlam occurring in single plate states.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Great idea on painting it. Since I picked mine up off the lot there was already a bracket on there (Ohio is dual plates). My car is Granite Crystal so the black bracket doesn't stick out as much but I may take a look at it a bit more closely to see if this is a mod I would want to do.

My prior car I did not have the bracket on for about 6 years and was never hassled, I added it on a year ago as I had noticed in the newspaper and by talking to people that it seemed the police were writing more tickets on it.

How did you go about painting it? Did you do it yourself or have it professionally done?

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I used the toggle bolt method in the video above.. it worked great. I can always take if off if I want and not have holes in my bumper.. Normally the cops around me don't bother stopping you for just a missing front plate but they sure can nail it along with another ticket if they want to. NY requires front and back.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice work, awesome idea and it looks great!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
541 Posts
Great idea painting it to match, really blends in with the front now. I live in LA, Cali and out here it's just a fix it ticket. In 5 years I have only been stopped once for not having a front plate. I refuse to drill into my front bumper.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Well here in Tejas since they have actually added a fine amount to the law TDOT has been issuing quite a few tickets. Funny story, both my Challengers were bought with the front mounts dealer installed, and found that merely redrilling the holes in the mount itself lowers them about an inch and puts them at a slightly better angle ( pictures below) funny story just a couple weeks ago, myself and another PCP R/T were traveling north at posted speed (for once), and passed a TXDPS running radar and my friend was in front with no plate on his 2013, a suburban was between us, I'm running with Bra that does have the license cutout. Just about a mile later and not a half mile from where we leave that road the trooper comes roaring up and pulls ME over? Came up to car and stated "pulled you over for no front plate" I thought at first that I had left my "Skull N Bones" plate cover on that I use to cover numbers of real plate for pictures. But no I had removed it but GF could tell even with the troopers dark sunglasses that he was quite surprised to see the plate AND the not purple bumper since the bra is black, mumbled about the ANGLE of the lowered mount and let me go, LOL! My friend had pulled off on the road we cutoff to, I called him and told him "Just saved you a ticket bro!", bet the trooper is STILL trying to figure that one out, here are the pictures, redrill and longer screws is all, may color match now also.

:banana:

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the Kind words,
I live Near Chicago and have heard Ticket s were $160 to $180.
I did the paint myself. I ordered the needed supplies from,
www.automotivetouchup.com.
you need the paint code off your car, Header Orange had two codes listed
PL4 and PK4 on their web site. I ordered plastic parts adhesion promoter, Header Orange Paint and High Gloss clear and followed the directions to the Letter. Especially the dry/flash times between coats. it was an exact match.
Yes it was hard to drill into the bumper but pre drilling the recomended
holes first made it a much neater installation.
Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have the james bond plate under my spoil and if the police pulls me over I just press the the button and it comes up from under the spoil I have a front plate pretty cool I think

·
Registered
256 Posts

I sat outside with a drill and I couldn't do it. Zip tied it to the side. I like it. Waiting for my California black and yellow plates!

·
Premium Member
4,694 Posts
Skene Designs license plate bracket. Google it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I went with the toggle bolts, myself. I have read that some places like San Francisco will ticket you, and though it's a fix-it ticket, it's still a hassle I don't need.

I like the color matching approach though! If they'd put the bracket on my car when I bought it, I'd be looking into that.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
In the UK they rely heavily on time and distance speed cameras. They use three cameras to measure your time over a given distance and they need the front license plate to read your plate and nick you for speeding. 3 points would be the norm unless you are 25mph plus over the limit and then you are looking at a driving ban. 12 points accrued within three years and you are banned from driving. I know a lot of guys from the US have said why don't you just shoot the cameras out. But over here the penalties for carrying a gun with amunition is jail time :(

1 - 20 of 23 Posts