Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I recently just purchased a 2018 dodge challenger 392 t/a indigo blue. I told the dealer to leave the front plate off. I was told about the sto-n-go plate that mounts to the bottom. Is there any better ones on the market that don't mount to the bumper. The sto-n-go looks good but i don't want it scrapping all the time. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Super Moderator
13,866 Posts
Congratulations on your new Challenger.

Many of us, myself included, have used the toggle bolt method to mount the front license plate. It is super easy, works great and is inexpensive. Watch this DIY video. You will be pleased with the results.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Congratulations on your new Challenger.

Many of us, myself included, have used the toggle bolt method to mount the front license plate. It is super easy, works great and is inexpensive. Watch this DIY video. You will be pleased with the results.

Challenger Front Plate Relocation - YouTube
Cuda you are right, the only issue is on my '17. I had to use smaller diameter toggle bolts than my '09, but they work fine. I hated to have to do it, but a $75 ticket got my attention. So, I did it to my '09, as well that my daughter drives. Leo had the nerve to try to add that I wasn't wearing a seat belt. I had taken it off to get my license. After I had the ticket in hand, I told the JKO "a man would have to be a fool to drive this car without a seat belt."

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
Hey everyone. I recently just purchased a 2018 dodge challenger 392 t/a indigo blue. I told the dealer to leave the front plate off. I was told about the sto-n-go plate that mounts to the bottom. Is there any better ones on the market that don't mount to the bumper. The sto-n-go looks good but i don't want it scrapping all the time. Any suggestions would be great.
There's another Sto N Sho version that mounts under the bottom of the bumper instead of the spoiler which more or less puts the plate in the factory location. I know it works on Hellcat but not sure about other Challengers, or maybe it could be modified to work. I agree on the bottom mounts, seems like a casualty waiting to happen.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
I haven’t had a front plate on multiple cars over the last almost 30 years and was only pulled over twice and let go.
When was the last time you got pulled over going backwards,lol?

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you purchase the "technology group" with your SRT, you get the "adaptive speed control" which gives you that EYE in the middle of the lower grill, so keep that in mind.

I went for the Sto n sho on mine, ( i have an M6, so i can center it... with an A8 it probably will have to be offset), it adds a fraction to the bottom, and if that plate is going to scrape, chances are so is the bottom of the front grill. I just like how easy it is to get off and on...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with Yellow Jacket. Don't bother with any kind of a bracket at all. I live right down the road from you in Clarence and I've been driving several of my cars for many years in WNY without front plates and I've never been pulled over for it. I bought my first Challenger in '09 and drove it for 8 years without a front plate, also my '15 Charger and my '14 Ram are sans front plates as well. Never any problems. My '18 T/A 392 is the same. I know a couple State Troopers and they say that if you don't have the front bracket installed that the most they can do is issue you a warning because there is no physical way to attach the plate. The key though is to not give them another reason to pull you over.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I wonder if any state used to be a front plate state and is now rear only, god I'd hate to have to deal with a front plate.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
ive had the sto and sho motorized version and now have the manual version. Both work great. Problem with the motorized system is it worked off a pully and wire. Youd hit a key fob and it pup and down it was cool but the downfalls were this. 1. The pully system required maint from time to time and would get hung up, still was pretty good to use. 2. There was no way to know that it was all the way up or down, I resorted to timing it and then counting in my head to know.

Now I have the manual version, takes literally a second to open or close it and you cant see. The toggle method while great, still isn't a quick take off and in my mind is a permanent fixture that just doesn't leave damage.

·
Registered
14,291 Posts
I wouldnt do the motorized anyway, has to be something illegal about a license plate that can disappear at the touch of a button.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
I wouldnt do the motorized anyway, has to be something illegal about a license plate that can disappear at the touch of a button.

not sure motorized or not, you can make it go away either way vs really being permanently affixed. If its a legal issue for one it is for all of them.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Here is what I did for my car just used a couple of long toggle screws and attached them to my lower grill. No problems and I love the look!
i wouldn't say i love but i work close to the police dept whose fine representative pulled me over going to work at 7am making tax money to pay his salary. $75 ticket no warning, just read it & eat it time, so i have no choice

·
Premium Member
9,361 Posts
i wouldn't say i love but i work close to the police dept whose fine representative pulled me over going to work at 7am making tax money to pay his salary. $75 ticket no warning, just read it & eat it time, so i have no choice
What great looking car, he’s just jealous.
If it was a weekend car you’d fly more under the radar but if it’s a daily your get much exposure.
I got pulled over twice, once local and once state and both only wanted to look the car over.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,976 Posts
My last car no front plate 21 years. So far 22 months, no front plate on the Challenger either. Good to know less heinous options exist, should I ever get that fix it ticket. A Guy

1 - 20 of 35 Posts