Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to find a product online that is geared towards protecting your paint's finish from the license plate's potentially damaging edges.

After looking with no success, I realized that it likely wasn't that simple... In addition to insulating the paint against friction and movement by the plate, the material must not retain moisture.
Note: As I do not have a front plate installed, this only pertains to the rear at the moment.

At this point, I'm thinking a decent clear cover to keep the plate clean, and isolation washers for the back side.

What options have you all tried?

·
Registered
108 Posts
We are required to have a front plate, but we also have a law banning any clear cover over the plates. Our law enforcement is way overboard on the visibility of the numbers. In fact, we have to replace them every 5 years because the reflectiveness wears out. I have black plastic frames that are soft enough to not scratch the paint around mine.

·
Registered
13,961 Posts
Most states ban any kind of cover over your plate now, even if your state doesn't the next one probably does and can get you pulled over, just not worth it. I would like a small plate frame and don't like the way the plate lays against the paint and stripes.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
386 Posts
The dealer I bought the car from had a thin vinyl dealer logo "plate" on the car when I drove it off the lot. I kept it, and when my state plates showed up, I placed the vinyl "plate" behind the metal plate on the rear. Keeps the metal edges from scratching the paint on the rear mount.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Perhaps try spraying a few coats of this (the clear version) on the back of your license plate, which should give you enough cushioning to prevent scratching:

Frank

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
I just cut out several rectangular patches of 3M double faced thin foam tape that comes in a small roll and placed them on the back of all four corners of the license plate, as well as the center of the top, bottom, and sides. This insulated the actual metal plate away from the car, did not retain moisture, and allowed any moisture to dry out from behind. If the plate frame holder was the closer to the car's paint, then I put the the patches of tape on it in a similar manner and never have had a problem.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I just cut out several rectangular patches of 3M double faced thin foam tape that comes in a small roll and placed them on the back of all four corners of the license plate, as well as the center of the top, bottom, and sides. This insulated the actual metal plate away from the car, did not retain moisture, and allowed any moisture to dry out from behind. If the plate frame holder was the closer to the car's paint, then I put the the patches of tape on it in a similar manner and never have had a problem.
Do you or anyone have a link of the product or your own suggestions? I don't want further damage
What happens if there is moisture? Mold?

I have no license plate frame on my car. After removing the back plate to put on a new sticker I notice it scratched up the plastic part. Probably from friction. I don't see if since I have it covered with the plate but I knew I should have added some sort of tape from the start. I just need to find some tape that doesn't cause problems like mold or something

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,785 Posts
If the license plate will always be necessary...does it matter if it rubs underneath? Not like you'll ever run without it.?

A Guy

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
Do you or anyone have a link of the product or your own suggestions? I don't want further damage
What happens if there is moisture? Mold?

I have no license plate frame on my car. After removing the back plate to put on a new sticker I notice it scratched up the plastic part. Probably from friction. I don't see if since I have it covered with the plate but I knew I should have added some sort of tape from the start. I just need to find some tape that doesn't cause problems like mold or something
Sorry to respond so late. I haven't been on for awhile. Here's a link to some, but no doubt you can shop around for a smaller length or better pricing. It does come in handy for a lot of applications though. Don't worry about mold or anything since this is designed to hold automotive molding on.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Sorry to respond so late. I haven't been on for awhile. Here's a link to some, but no doubt you can shop around for a smaller length or better pricing. It does come in handy for a lot of applications though. Don't worry about mold or anything since this is designed to hold automotive molding on.
thank you!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
You're welcome. If you decide to purchase from that link, you can order it online using the 20% off code at the top of the page (if total purchase is $25+). One person ordered it online using the coupon and picked it up at the local store an hour later. Hey, every little bit helps!

·
Registered
594 Posts
You're welcome. If you decide to purchase from that link, you can order it online using the 20% off code at the top of the page (if total purchase is $25+). One person ordered it online using the coupon and picked it up at the local store an hour later. Hey, every little bit helps!
I think I might be a little confused. I know the tape is double sided, but would you only use one side of the tape? Is there a soft part that isn't sticky that rest against the paint? I was thinking I would cut them and stick it on to the license plate and then the side that will be resting on the car would have been some sort of soft material that is weather resistant. Is the side resting on the paint the red 3M but you don't remove the backing so it's not sticky?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SRT
3,726 Posts
The foam is relatively soft and has thin plastic film on both sides. I chose to take the tape off of one side to adhere to the actual bumper cover, but not the opposite side that faced the plate. This way there's a waterproof protective seal that won't allow dust between it and the paint. THAT'S where you could get slight abrasion from even slight movement. You don't really need to take off the plastic from the tape that faces the license plate, but you could do that as well if you want to. When I removed the plate after two years, I had no problem removing the foam from the bumper. Any minimal amount of adhesive that could possibly remain (in my case the was none) can be easily removed in seconds using WD-40 and a soft cloth. The tape is the same type of material used to adhere all of the emblems to the painted body of the car. It's not permanent if you don't want it to be, so don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
The dealer I bought the car from had a thin vinyl dealer logo "plate" on the car when I drove it off the lot. I kept it, and when my state plates showed up, I placed the vinyl "plate" behind the metal plate on the rear. Keeps the metal edges from scratching the paint on the rear mount.
I did that, plus I stuck a square stick on rubber bumper at each corner, the kind you buy for cabinets. It holds the plate off the surface about a 1/4 inch.

·
Registered
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
269 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Have you looked into anything like this?

Edge Trim Black Small, 1/8" Fits Edge (10 Feet Length) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KG9BAY0/
So it's magnetic on one side and sticky on the other? So then you'd put the sticky part on the bumper first then the magnets sticks to the license plate. When you want to remove the plate you could remove the plate without removing the sticker if you go slow?

Seems like all the suggestions are sticking the sticky part on the bumper itself. Assuming it's safe on it and the plastic. I've seen someone remove paint when they removed it. Maybe they just yanked it off without using heat and going slow? That's my worry.

·
Registered
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
269 Posts
What I posted is just metal or other thin item edging trim.
Its not magnetic, some might have a built in glue strip inside the "channel". We use this sort of thing in Electrical Construction to dress up or guard raw edges of steel.

Just thought being plastic or rubber might be easier on the car paint under it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts