Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thirty-one states across the U.S. require both a front license plate in addition to the one on the rear. This requires the use of an unsightly bracket to mount the plate.

In response, many of us have chosen to either mount the plate on the lower part of the bumper fascia, using the toggle bolt method, or use a hide-a-way motorized plate.

Now, there is another solution. As reported by Jalopnik, License Plate Wraps have just been granted an extension of a pilot program that allows California state residents to use their product instead of a traditional plate. The product is exactly what it sounds like- a wrap of your specific license plate that can be applied directly to the paint.

That means that owners won’t have to drill anything into their bumpers, ruining the looks of the front of their vehicles. Another benefit is that the wrap will provide a bit more protection on that section of the paint.

Vehicle Grille Car Hood Motor vehicle

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWBS A8 Pitch Black
33 Posts
terrific news, for sure. I don't remember which member (apologies to you) posted on this forum a while back about a company that sells the film, but I jotted down the info for myself. adhesivereplica.com

·
Registered
161 Posts
Better than drilling holes but still don't like it. I'd rather go completely without but I like my BozzMount in the lower grill best of the other options.

Reactions: Nubs

·
Registered
161 Posts
does their 2-screw holder suffice? or do you recommend their 4-screw holder?
I did the two screw and I feel real good about it. Definitely recommend their leveler too, it got the plate nice and squared up. It's not the cheapest option by any means but I like the result and I used a slim matte black license plate frame which I think makes the plate look smaller and fade in to the grill some.

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Grille

Reactions: Rpmf08

·
Premium Member
2021 SPWBS A8 Pitch Black
33 Posts
I did the two screw and I feel real good about it. Definitely recommend their leveler too, it got the plate nice and squared up. It's not the cheapest option by any means but I like the result and I used a slim matte black license plate frame which I think makes the plate look smaller and fade in to the grill some.

View attachment 1051221
thank you for responding with deets as well as a visual. another example of the great community we have in this online forum.

·
Registered
161 Posts
thank you for responding with deets as well as a visual. another example of the great community we have in this online forum.
If you have any other questions let me know, happy to answer them. I took it through a beater washer a couple times before I had paint correction, ceramic coating and PPF installed and it held up nicely. I wouldn't normally use that kind of car wash but I saw a chance to test out how the mount would hold up knowing that paint correction was on the calendar and it passed with flying colors.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Redeye WB
250 Posts
Many of those 31 states specifically do not allow a decal for a front plate, including mine (CT). Why have anything stuck on the paint at all though? Sto n Sho has the best solution imo. Nothing ever touches the paint, no drilling, pull a pin and it comes off, no tools. Uses two existing screws under the bumper cover.
Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Grille Vehicle registration plate
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Pull the small spring loaded ring on the right and the whole thing slides right off ⏬

Hood Vehicle Vehicle door Wood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
545 Posts
Texas "requires" a front plate, but I've never had one installed. I won't drill my front bumper cover for sure, but that's only part of it. Having a plate in the front via any form; bracket, sticker, etc., is cosmetically detracting in my opinion.

I've been going "naked" for three years now, and no issues with LEO's. In fact, I've been stopped twice in that time frame, and nothing was mentioned about the missing front plate either time. In DFW, They simply aren't focused on small things like this. And, there are SOOO many people moving into the area from other states, that I don't think they bother to sort out who should and shouldn't have a front plate.

Every state/town is different regarding the attitude regarding running a front plate, but I'm just going to keep rocking it as-is until such time as I am compelled to add the plate. If I ever do have to, I'll probably do the inverted bracket-toggle bolt thing.

Cheers!

JD

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was pulled over specifically for no front plate here in CT.

·
Registered
250 Posts
so what did it cost you? the last time i had one was in 1991 with a new trans am i bought, i think it was 30 bucks so im guessing it is 125 now?
They actually pulled me over for it and then got me for no seatbelt lol. Just gave me a warning on the no plate. But the no plate got me a no seatbelt ticket 🤬

·
Registered
457 Posts
When I first got my Challenger four years ago, I spoke to a fellow owner who had been pulled over by the CHP on the 405 frwy. He was written up for no front plate and his window tint. Usually, the local police will not bother you for not having a front plate in CA. However, I do know that some of campus police at a few of our CC and state universities will write tickets for not having a front plate. Usually this is accompanied by a parking fine for not have a permit or expired meter.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts