Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some big life changes led me to consider (and follow through on) getting rid of my recently purchased Scat Pack. My wife and I have a 3rd child due this June and I found out recently that one of the classes I teach several sections of (I actually am a prof) is being dropped from the major which leads to a consolidation of my department. Long story short, I'm out of a job after this Spring semester concludes. This move by my University prompted me to finally consider going back to complete a doctorate in another area of study I began, and put on hold, many years ago. This means I will be commuting next Fall to Gainesville (go Gators) from the Jax/Saint Augustine area as a full time student.

So... My 2017 Scat Pack Shaker was put on the chopping block in order to save some coin for next fall. I figured I'd look into a modestly equipped 5.7L R/T to use as a "commuter" car for the next 3 1/2 to 4 years depending on school credit transfer. Most dealerships in Jax were offering $32-33K for my car (MSRP of $50,000) with 4,700 miles on it. I figured I was out of luck. Then I found a small town dealership an hour and a half outside of Jax selling a perfectly equipped new black R/T Plus 6 speed with Super Track Pak, Driver's Convenience Group (a must!), the rarely seen spare tire, sunroof (good for FL night driving), and leather.

I called and over the phone (with text pics of my trade) and they offered me over $40K (paid 43K for it) for my car and knocked over $7K off the sticker price of their R/T Plus ($41K MSRP). The GM wanted to use my car as his personal "demo" ride. I was interested. I looked at the car and drove it. Nice car, but I walked because I couldn't get past how much I loved my orange shaker car with that sweet 392. Plus I've bought too many Challengers and didn't want to buy yet another car! I thought about it over night and went back on Sunday and after a little more negotiating, I bought the car. I dropped my car payment by a bunch, owe less to the bank, lowered my insurance, and have slightly better gas mileage. Most important, I'm still in a Hemi powered 6 speed Challenger!

I've had the car for two days now and love it! In daily driving I can't tell the difference between the 5.7 and the 6.4 until you get deep into the pedal. The active exhaust on the new 5.7s is fantastic!! Much better than the 2013 5.7 R/T I had years ago. Here are some pics. I haven't had a black car since college (the first time) and I'm digging how bada$$ it looks. Windows get tinted as part of the deal tomorrow. I've come full circle back to a 5.7 R/T and I'm not disappointed in the slightest.

No regrets and I have a happy wife to boot!

Thanks for reading guys.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,343 Posts
Congratulations on the pending arrival of baby #3, you’re a lucky man. They say when one door closes another one opens, your job situation is unfortunate but one day soon you and your wife will look back knowing how well you’ve done after going back to school and be happy it played out like that. Had it not happened you’d just keep on the path you were on.
My youngest is a Gator and is currently at the college of medicine, don’t blink they grow up so fast.
After looking at the title to the thread I thought you went and bought a mileage getting sedan but you still have an amazing car.
Best wishes on all the events going forward.
A happy wife is an awesome thing.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Congrats on the little one, and hate to hear about the job situation. That sucks, but it appears that you are looking at the situation well.

Have a Merry Christmas and best to ya :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well it's admirable that you would sell the SP to pay for the family. But on the other hand, if you really want to keep it, you'll find a way to make the extra $$$$$$$. Work harder and or smarter... >:):redblob:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Congrats on ALL fronts!

I love my black 2015 R/T!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's admirable that you would sell the SP to pay for the family. But on the other hand, if you really want to keep it, you'll find a way to make the extra $$$$$$$. Work harder and or smarter... >:):redblob:
Ha, the Scat Pack is already gone! I liked it a lot but it was just a car. I'd rather spend time with my kids than pick up odd jobs just to keep a car I don't need. an opportunity presented itself and I still have a great car. Win win.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulations on the pending arrival of baby #3, you’re a lucky man. They say when one door closes another one opens, your job situation is unfortunate but one day soon you and your wife will look back knowing how well you’ve done after going back to school and be happy it played out like that. Had it not happened you’d just keep on the path you were on.
My youngest is a Gator and is currently at the college of medicine, don’t blink they grow up so fast.
After looking at the title to the thread I thought you went and bought a mileage getting sedan but you still have an amazing car.
Best wishes on all the events going forward.
A happy wife is an awesome thing.
Thank you sir, I appreciate that. Sounds like you know a thing or two. I'm actually going into the medical field myself. I may still teach part time but it's time to get back to a "real job".

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
945 Posts
You definitely make a right choice in sacrificing a 6.4L Hemi car for many personal and family gainings which are more valuable than a car especially doing it for a happy wife which is required for a happy and stable marriage.

You can always get a 6.4L Hemi or something new and better Hemi in the future when the time is right for it!

Congratulations on your upcoming 3rd baby. Good luck with your restarted pursues for that evasive doctorate degree! Perhaps a future user handle change is needed for DrMuscleCarProf? :)

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,698 Posts
Congratulations on both your upcoming baby and your new R/T! :cheers:

I also applaud you for taking the lemons that life can sometimes throw at you and making lemonade from them! It sounds like you have a Great outlook and obviously your priorities straight!

Best of Luck on your Doctorate too! :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,798 Posts
Welcome to the dark side ;) And congratulations on #3. I am 3rd of 3 brothers. Be aware, #3 may throw a dart at one of the others in anger some day :D

A Guy

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the dark side ;) And congratulations on #3. I am 3rd of 3 brothers. Be aware, #3 may throw a dart at one of the others in anger some day :D

A Guy
I love the black for sure but you literally can't touch the car without putting a light scratch on it! They were going to throw in some red R/T Classic side stripes as part of the deal but I decided to keep the car free of decorations. Had that money put elsewhere. Now solid black Challengers really stand out when I see one on the road. It's like: Darth Vader, your vehicle has arrived...

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Get a grip!

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Good job Professor! Congratulations on the new family member AND furthering your education AND getting a NEW
6-spd. R/T. Well played Sir!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
LoL I think going for a doctorate is working harder and smarter. Fortunately when I did went for mine, I was fresh out of undergrad, single, drove a POS 1990 corolla (bought it for $500) and was working part time. Going for it when you have a family and trying to make ends meet comfortably is definitely going to be a challenge. Good luck MCProf...you can do it!

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
It's just a car. You're obviously focused on the more important facets of life. Congrats on the growing family; best of luck on the career change.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
In a couple of years you might be able to get your hands on a '20 - the "final edition" of the LA series...lets hope the uConnect issues are all sorted out by then...!

1 - 20 of 60 Posts