Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm finding that my temps seems to be creeping up on my 392. I'm running a 180 stat that I used to have in my old 2009 R/T. I "burped" the system by letting any air out of the plug near the thermostat but this did very little. In 85 degree weather, the temps do not seem to come down from 215-220 even during high gear cruising with no AC.
The fans have the factory settings as I haven't bought a tuner yet, but during cruising, the temps should be lower.

Anybody have to replace their 180 stat after 5-7 years or so?

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I had one in my 2010 R/T for about 4.5 years with no issue. Just installed a new one in my Scat Pack. There are quite a few guys on the other forum that have had them in their car for 6-7 years now with no issue.

You could always swap in the stock one and see if anything changes. If it runs cooler then you know the thermostat is failing. Doesn't take long to swap it out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had one in my 2010 R/T for about 4.5 years with no issue. Just installed a new one in my Scat Pack. There are quite a few guys on the other forum that have had them in their car for 6-7 years now with no issue.

You could always swap in the stock one and see if anything changes. If it runs cooler then you know the thermostat is failing. Doesn't take long to swap it out.
Without a tune, what are you gaining by using the 180* in our cars? I am curious.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without a tune, what are you gaining by using the 180* in our cars? I am curious.
If the car is in motion, a 180 stat can bring the temps lower, even without adjusting the fan settings. But in traffic, temps remain what they would be with the stock 203 stat as the fans come on at their normal settings.

In South FL, I want the least heat soak possible. I just haven't bit the bullet with the tuner yet....need tires first!

Reactions: Upstate 392

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It does make a pretty big difference. My car runs at 185-188 most of the time now compared to 205-209 before. Might not make a huge difference on the street on a cooler day, but on a hot day or at the dragstrip it definitely helps. Plus it's really cheap and easy to do.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'm finding that my temps seems to be creeping up on my 392. I'm running a 180 stat that I used to have in my old 2009 R/T. I "burped" the system by letting any air out of the plug near the thermostat but this did very little. In 85 degree weather, the temps do not seem to come down from 215-220 even during high gear cruising with no AC.
The fans have the factory settings as I haven't bought a tuner yet, but during cruising, the temps should be lower.

Anybody have to replace their 180 stat after 5-7 years or so?
Mine seized up and failed shut on me after only a year.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
OK, so tell me, I know 180° thermostat was an old school thing, mostly to reduce detonation allowing more timing, etc. But on today's computer controlled fuel injected engines, isn't it counter productive? Since as mentioned, it controls a lower temperature opening, it doesn't control max temp. Doesn't the PCM programming enrich the mixture at lower coolant temps to aid in starting and warm-up for emissions? Wouldn't this result in a longer period of enrichment since the engine is not reaching the programmed temperature? I can't see the car running richer being beneficial except for the intended purpose of getting the engine up to the programmed operating temperature? A Guy

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do you think the computer keeps the fuel "rich" all the way up to 200*F ? I question that logic even though I'm not a mechanic.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Can't say for sure on a stock tune car, but I'm pretty sure if you're running a custom tune, your tuner will account for the fact that you have a 180 thermostat and adjust various parameters in the tune accordingly.

My opinion is that for a car that doesn't get raced often or doesn't live in a hot climate, it's probably not worth the bother. But if you live in a climate where it's really hot most of the time, or you drag race your car often, it's definitely beneficial. Most of the tuners I've talked to say that while a catch can and 180 thermostat don't directly add horsepower, they help prevent knock retard, which reduces horsepower. It makes sense logically as well, cooler temps, less oil mist in the combustion chamber, etc.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Do you think the computer keeps the fuel "rich" all the way up to 200*F ? I question that logic even though I'm not a mechanic.
When I worked at a parts store back in the 90s, a 180 stat could definitely cause a fuel injected car to stay in the open loop state, and run rich, like a choke was on. They would ignore inputs from the oxygen sensor(s) and whatnot, and run in a fail-safe rich mode until up around 195.

We had a bunch of people buy 180 stats, thinking they were going to get more power, and then we had a bunch coming back in for the stock temp stats because their mileage fell off, and their tailpipes were black. I live in the Northern Rockies, and for several months of the year, it's pretty cold, and that didn't help.

In any case, I'd like to think our cars are programmed a bit better these days, and 15-20 degrees wouldn't really make a difference, but I know where his question was coming from.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I replaced my 7 year old 180 stat with a new one and temps are where they should be. 85 degree day and as long as the car is moving, its around 185-190. In traffic, it goes to 215 but comes back down when the car is in motion.
So to answer my own question, my original 180 stat lived about 7 years.

Reactions: Thrust
1 - 14 of 14 Posts