Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to replace the big ass cam in the car this weekend and need to be sure the lifters will not fall into the motor.

Looks like 16 individual tools will be needed. I'm sure the local auto parts store is going to look at me very odd.

However, for those that have done it this way - will this tool work.

Open to all suggestions!!

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
Spin the cam a few revolutions (with rockershafts and pushrods removed) with the sprocket bolted up snug. It will knock the lifters up their bores.

The lifters are almost horizontal on these engines - they'll stay in place for r & r of the cam.

The pushrod holes in the heads are just big enough for the pushrods, BTW.

You also don't need to remove the facia or grille for pulling the cam - plenty of space to pull it straight out.

The radiator drops out from below - the combo a/c condenser and p/s cooler are on unit that you'll split off the radiator by removing 4 bolts. You'll remove the lower radiator support to facilitate dropping the radiator out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!!!

Sounds like if I have everything ready to go once the cam is removed, it would be best to get it back in ASAP. The last thing I want to feel is the cam stop forward progress with 25% left and then hearing something fall. :(

I will have the front fascia off for other reasons, otherwise I would give it a go with it on.

Awesome tips! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks!!!

Sounds like if I have everything ready to go once the cam is removed, it would be best to get it back in ASAP. The last thing I want to feel is the cam stop forward progress with 25% left and then hearing something fall. :(

I will have the front fascia off for other reasons, otherwise I would give it a go with it on.

Awesome tips! :thumbsup:
Being quick can't hurt, but don't rush youerself in the process :)

On the LS motors, we have the same type of lifter trays, but they sit much more 'vertical' than the HEMI. I pulled a cam out of a shortblock once and didn't replace it for a week, lifters just hung up there the whole time...coulda been a little Irish luck :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
Being quick can't hurt, but don't rush youerself in the process :)

On the LS motors, we have the same type of lifter trays, but they sit much more 'vertical' than the HEMI. I pulled a cam out of a shortblock once and didn't replace it for a week, lifters just hung up there the whole time...coulda been a little Irish luck :)

yes the LS platform has a spider rack that holds the lifters up ,it bolts down on the valley , they work really well , dont know if these mopars have anything like that tho, it would be nice..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
yes the LS platform has a spider rack that holds the lifters up ,it bolts down on the valley , they work really well , dont know if these mopars have anything like that tho, it would be nice..

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
There's no access to the valley on these engines - the cam sits up very high in the block - its just under the top "valley" casting of the block.

The heads overlap the deck and there's only the push rod holes (just big enough for the rods).

To access lifters on the 5.7/6.1/6.4 Hemi, you have to remove the heads if you need to replace them.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
What Hal said, the motors are actually designed to retain the lifters (with rods/rockers out) after a couple revolutions no hurry they will NOT fall on ya.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update: Fedex arrived with the new cam!! Yeah, I know there's an automated tracking app, but watching him pull up on my phone at work is priceless! Time to take 1/2 a day off!

The cam swap went really well. I did use the vice-grip technique giving me the leverage to slide it out quickly and safely. The install went just as smoothly but not without adrenaline and apprehension with the lifters hanging there! Two hours after getting the cam in the motor, super charger, intercooler and front clip back on while installing the "temp" tune and making sure (for the fifth time) everything was OK.. it fired right up. The only issue was getting air out of the cooling system
. I forgot to turn the heater to "hot". Once I did that temps came down to 188* in a flash.

Drove it to work today. Talking about satisfaction! The daily driver manners of the new cam is "Buick"!

Thx again for all the info!!! You all rock!!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Update: Fedex arrived with the new cam!! Yeah, I know there's an automated tracking app, but watching him pull up on my phone at work is priceless! Time to take 1/2 a day off!

The cam swap went really well. I did use the vice-grip technique giving me the leverage to slide it out quickly and safely. The install went just as smoothly but not without adrenaline and apprehension with the lifters hanging there! Two hours after getting the cam in the motor, super charger, intercooler and front clip back on while installing the "temp" tune and making sure (for the fifth time) everything was OK.. it fired right up. The only issue was getting air out of the cooling system
. I forgot to turn the heater to "hot". Once I did that temps came down to 188* in a flash.

Drove it to work today. Talking about satisfaction! The daily driver manners of the new cam is "Buick"!

Thx again for all the info!!! You all rock!!
I'm impressed. I notice you're in Conroe. Hope you don't mind if I show up on your doorstep when I'm ready to do a cam.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts