Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, new to the forum. Researched the dash pad lifting above the AC vent as shown in the attached pic. I found information but lots of varying opinions on which exact adhesive works best. In my pic the center is being held down with 3M double sided tape, but this is temporary. Has anyone made this repair and had good long term results, and if so, what adhesive did you use? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
I feel bad for ya brother. It looks like a dash pad replement to do it correctly.
Hopefully some one with this knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Long term?

Thanks us1champ, I had read that post, but saw recommendations of epoxy (unnamed) Gorilla Glue, contact cement, etc. and others. Was hoping someone may have done this fix and had good, lasting results. I'd like to know which product they used...

·
Super Moderator
15,067 Posts
the dash is a molded vinyl "skin" that is top layer of vinyl / foam / bottom layer of vinyl that is glued to the plastic (ABS?) frame that makes up the dash.

When I used a Dremel tool on my '09 to cut out the opening for a glovebox light, I could see how the dash is constructed.

In another car I had, similar dash construction - I used a hot glue gun and clamped it until the glue set. That approach worked.

The dash vents are clipped into the vent opening. So you'd remove the vent so you have more room to work on re-securing the pad back to the base

·
Registered
757 Posts
I did something similar on my 06 Charger Daytona I just picked up. My left side top air vent would not hold because the dash was so bowed out.
Got a bottle of gel style superglue, pulled the vent, put a little under the dash pad around the vent area and held it softly for a couple minutes (so the foam under didn’t deform grossly).

Vent clicked back in and has stayed for a month so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Ive done a few of these types of repairs on older cars where vinyl dash pads where not avaialble or cost prohibative. its very hard to get a long lasting repair. often times the repair was fine but the bond between skin and padding/foam was deteriorating and spread to other areas. this is especially true if you live in a hotter climate. the key to really doing it right is to get the gluing contact areas as clean as possible, work well past both sides of where its lifting (ie; if you just glue the center, the ends will buckle out and lift more) and steady clamping pressure until well after the adhesive has cured. pulling the dash is really the only way to work at it. I used a adhesive for exterior marine applications..for all the trouble, if you can simply buy a new pad, id suggest that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks hemi4us, I saw you had posted on one of the other threads on this topic. So your fixes haven't turned out to be permanent, then?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
6,763 Posts
Hi guys, new to the forum. Researched the dash pad lifting above the AC vent as shown in the attached pic. I found information but lots of varying opinions on which exact adhesive works best. In my pic the center is being held down with 3M double sided tape, but this is temporary. Has anyone made this repair and had good long term results, and if so, what adhesive did you use? Thanks!
Looks like my 85 fiero back in the late 90's. I repaired mine with some urethane Gorilla glue but you need to scuff/clean both surfaces and make use of clamps...best to do with the dash removed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
. Shoe goo worked on my 2010

1 - 11 of 11 Posts