Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always wanted to do this for some reason, because it's easy. Cheap LED lights from Ebay, although now I'm learning about 5050 vs 2835 vs 3528 leds...plus wire, disconnects, shoe goo or E6000 and a switch. Might play around with the placement later or experiment with different types of leds strips/pods. Had an idea of incorporating something that animates the leds with engine performance but that might be way advanced for me. Sticking with amber as it's not one of the illegal colors here and it gives the idea of the hemi fire within.

Vehicle Car Auto part Metal Hood
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Engine
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hood Muscle car

·
Registered
16,463 Posts
Whatever you do, don't tap into any existing parking or running light wire, find a dedicated source for this 12V and do it that way. Somebody here did the tap trying to install grille lights and ended up at the dealer getting it all straightened out, today's cars just don't take well to unexpected circuits being spliced in and added.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,715 Posts
I was thinking of something like that as well, and adding in a line from a smoke generator when parked on Haloween. Very nice, just remember that area gets wet.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
629 Posts
I've always wanted to do this for some reason, because it's easy. Cheap LED lights from Ebay, although now I'm learning about 5050 vs 2835 vs 3528 leds...plus wire, disconnects, shoe goo or E6000 and a switch. Might play around with the placement later or experiment with different types of leds strips/pods. Had an idea of incorporating something that animates the leds with engine performance but that might be way advanced for me. Sticking with amber as it's not one of the illegal colors here and it gives the idea of the hemi fire within.

View attachment 1002031 View attachment 1002032 View attachment 1002033
That looks nice.

I could see LED's becoming "too much" but that looks like a very tasteful mod in my opinion.

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I did the "add a fuse" on top of an existing fuse from the front fuse box. Hopefully no issues! The leds supposedly are waterproof so we'll see. They ride high and to the rear for now, but will check into the aquarium sealant. The smoke system would be fun, just don't mistaken it for an overheated engine! o_O Maybe a little fan to shoot it out every few seconds. Ever see the El Toro Loco monster truck that thing shoots smoke out its nostrils (baby powder) in mid run.

·
Registered
2015 RT, Scat Pack.......Shakerrrrrr
723 Posts
You got me "interested" in this mod. Your pictures look very intimidating (as a Shakerrr does all by itself). Just wondered, how does it look with the amber day time running lights on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have yet to take full daylight pics with the amber running lights. I think it will be subtle, therefore I am planning to revise the setup here and there without going overboard. Possible use of mirrors I dunno. Will try to take pics today though.

·
Registered
200 Posts

View attachment 1002031 View attachment 1002032 View attachment 1002033
That looks awesome. Would love to do that with mine. 👍🏻

How did you route the wires after the shaker was back on?

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I took a daytime pic today, but not with the running DRLs I confused myself and turned on the foglights. Anyways, the output is minimal during the day (my setup) as you can barely see. Not sure which way I'm going, its decent at night...perhaps place them closer to the front. But the original intent is for afternoon/night, if I make it brighter it will be seen during the day but too overwhelming at night. Leaving it as is right now, I have to finish mounting the hoses for the catch can! Experimenting with some 12" strips coming in the mail soon, will update when its installed.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 sps ordered 5/20/20
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Okay, I took a daytime pic today, but not with the running DRLs I confused myself and turned on the foglights. Anyways, the output is minimal during the day (my setup) as you can barely see. Not sure which way I'm going, its decent at night...perhaps place them closer to the front. But the original intent is for afternoon/night, if I make it brighter it will be seen during the day but too overwhelming at night. Leaving it as is right now, I have to finish mounting the hoses for the catch can! Experimenting with some 12" strips coming in the mail soon, will update when its installed.

View attachment 1002219
They are painted on. My Uncle Louie bought the car brand new and had the flames painted on . He kept it for 6 1/2 years and then sold it to me dirt cheap he more or less gave it to me and when I did get possession of her she only had 36,000 miles on her . That's still pretty well brand new to me. You probably wouldn't believe if I told what he sold it to me for anyway. But anyway I absolutely love the Caribbean always told him if he ever got rid of it to let me know first most of the time I still cant believe its mine I got outside and check to see if it's really out there or was I just dreaming when he actually sold it to me!!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts