Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice their headlight dimming/flickering at idle (standard headlight)? Problem is exacerbated if I turn wheel. Is it normal?

·
Premium Member
3,679 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
loose or slipping serpentine belt would be my first guess...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Holy long thread Batman. I guess I should search the whole site next time...but it's not very reassuring that I would ever get this problem fixed. Ugh.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I recently had a new HID kit from TheRetrofitSource installed with their Mopar specific relay, and started to notice the alternator-related flickering issue (no fault of the TRS product I'm sure) on startup and when power steering is in use.

Before this kit I had a BFXenon kit with their anti-flicker harness, and never had one instance of the lights flickering. This harness helps with flickering and high-beam issues when installing an aftermarket HID kit, but I didn't know that it would affect the common factory flickering issue positively.

It'd be great if anyone can speak to how BFXenon's anti-flicker harness helps with the factory alternator-related flickering issue.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Your electric power steering is one thing, you can deduce the dimming on that. Also electric fans on your radiator when idling, your alternator doesn't push many amps at idle so you're taxing your electrical system.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but newer Chrysler vehicles get their accessory power from the computer modules, not directly from the alternator/battery. That's one reason why they are using weak ass H13 bulbs for headlights and PSX24W bulbs for fogs...they can get away with the setup because it's low amp draw. This is also why upgrading to better bulbs usually requires running relays and new wiring to get full voltage to them. Everything on these Chrysler vehicles is integrated to the CAN-BUS system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts