Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all,
I have a 2013 SXT Challenger which i got used a couple years ago. It came with these blue lights that went on in the footwell when you turned on the fog lights, however the passenger side lights have went out and I'm not sure how to fix them. I've attached some pictures that will hopefully help. I'd like to get them fixed myself, but unfortunately I'm not really sure how to start doing that. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
Undo the electrical tape and test for 12V between the wires. If you see voltage it's a good chance one of the resistors in the LED chain crapped out.

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts
Those look like the Diode Dynamics LED strips that I put in my engine bay, but mine has a remote control so you can change color.

To try to help you out here, check that the strip of LED's is firmly attached to it's power source. Those connectors aren't the greatest.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those look like the Diode Dynamics LED strips that I put in my engine bay, but mine has a remote control so you can change color.

To try to help you out here, check that the strip of LED's is firmly attached to it's power source. Those connectors aren't the greatest.
I pulled the wires out a bit and was able to see how it was all connected. I attached a picture. I undid the screw things that connect to the wire and rescrewed them on, but the lights still don't work, so I'm assuming its probably a problem with the LED's.

Also, do you know if I could get mine to change color, because that sounds really cool. Or would I need to buy new LED's?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Undo the electrical tape and test for 12V between the wires. If you see voltage it's a good chance one of the resistors in the LED chain crapped out.
I got a multimeter, but to be honest I'm not really sure how to test for the voltage. Where do I need to touch with the prongs? And what setting should I have it on. I tried doing it on the wires where the lights were connected and I didn't get any kind of reading, but I don't think I did it right.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,507 Posts
I got a multimeter, but to be honest I'm not really sure how to test for the voltage. Where do I need to touch with the prongs? And what setting should I have it on. I tried doing it on the wires where the lights were connected and I didn't get any kind of reading, but I don't think I did it right.

Thanks!
Before you start checking for voltage, I would check your connections as MEKrunner suggested (remove the footwell cover so you can confirm). If all looks well then set your volt meter to display DC volts, my meter goes from 200mV, 2V, 20V, 200V, 400V (similar to the meter shown in the link below). You want to select a voltage range that is greater than 12V, so with my meter I would set it to 20V. Do a google/youtube search on how to test for 12 volts in a car so you can get some fundamentals of testing electronics (or see other link below).

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51bfcRJ9eAL._SY355_.jpg

Unwrap the black tape making sure you do not let the bare wires touch each other or anything metal in the car. Take the red lead and put it on the bare spot of one wire and the black lead on the bare spot of the other wire (make sure your drivers side footwell light is on) and check your meter display. It should show + or - 11 to 12 volts. If it does it is most likely the LED strip is bad and you need a new one. If it doesn't you might have a bad controller box (assuming you have one) or a bad connection that is not obvious.

Good luck! :wink3:

·
Premium Member
2,329 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,787 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey y'all, I've been super busy so haven't had much time to work on this, finally got some time and figured out the problem. One of the wires leading into the passenger leds was disconnected. In trying to get it back connected the other wire came off too. I've been messing with it, and i was able to get the lights to flash on briefly, so I know the leds all work fine, its just the connection. So, how should I go about connecting it? Do I have to soder it or something? Or could I try and play with it and see if I can get it to stay connected with electrical tape? I attached pictures of the wires and where I need to connect them. Thanks for all the help y'all!

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts