Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone tell me a lightweight flywheel would help tremendously on speed such as 0-60 time. Anyone know how much they really help and how much it costs in all including installation?

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
For the street, you need the stock (typically 30 lb.) flywheel to help get you rolling. You could go with a lighter flywheel if you are racing the car as you will be using much higher rpm's off the line.

But, changing out the flywheel is a lot of trouble and time for no gain on the street IMO.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i was also looking into this but scrapped the idea i was told my my builder that it could cause the car to stall under certain conditions and cause some other issues which are here say

·
Premium Member
2013 Challenger SRT8
1,467 Posts
if you are racing yes, if not what they said X2; a flywheel stocks energy only to be released when its mated with the transmission; a lighter flywheel means that you will need to increase rpm in order to release the same energy the stock flywheel was doing at a lower rpm because of its weight; a lighter flywheel will make you creep into the redline like a Ferrari engine, but Ferrari's are also 1500 lbs lighter than our 4200 lbs beasts; remember torque is what makes our babies move forward; you don't want to kill that if you are street performance only; there are many ways to shed 100lbs and thus gain a 10th on the quarter mile; that might not be the best way to go; imo

1 - 4 of 4 Posts