Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So those of you with the 345cid Hemi, what are you actually getting MPG-wise? I'm thinking of trading in and up to a 2010 R/T, and want to know what to expect on my 70+ mile daily commute (90% 55mph interstates).

Also, are yinz sticking with the Dodge recommended oil grade or putting in the API certified oil of your preference? Brand and specific grade, please.

Thank you!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Miles per gal

Well I can give mies but in KM my 2010 RT on steady highway driving ranges from 8 to 9 liters per 100 KM. On highway trips I got over 700 KM on a tank of gas. As for city driving I am averaging 13.5 liters per 100 KM but I remote start every morning and have the car warm up for at least 5 minutes.

As for oil, on my first oil change I switched to mobil 1 5-20 and a mobil 1 filter with changes every 5000.

Hope that helps

Todd

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
'09 5.7 MDS with 12,200 miles, using Castrol 5-20 Full Syn & totally stock configuration:

Around town best/light foot would be 14-16 mpg. Short hwy driving gets it up to 25 mpg no problem. Long distance driving at 65 mph average it can go 255 miles/9 gals (28.33 mpg) and still be twice the needle thickness above half mark on regular unleaded fuel. Plus I'm running tires on the high side for maximum fuel savings, Fronts 35 psi (no edge wear seen) and Rears 34 psi (no center wear detected).

·
Registered
10 Posts
2010 Stock R/T 5.7 with MDS. Car has only 5,500 miles. Always use 93 octane premium gasoline

My work commute is 88 miles. 45% Interstate, 40% back country highway, and 15% around town. I have consistently averaged 20-21 MPG. I think it is safe to say that you will get mid teens around town, and mid 20’s on the highway.

I’ve changed oil three times (500, 2,500 and 5,000). All have been done by the dealer and with Mopar conventional 5-20 oil and filter. Dodge and the mechanic at the dealer recommended conventional oil. The mechanic said as diligent as I was on changing oil that synthetic would be a waste of money as it twice the cost. After the car has a few more miles on it, then I will complete the changes myself, and will probably move to synthetic at that time. I’ve heard you can actually improve MPG with synthetic, and if I could prove it, then I would make the move now.

I am planning and saving right now for the following improvements. Stack Performance CAI, Corsa Sport Cat-Back Exhaust, and a Diablo Tuner. I’m looking to improve performance and sound, while also improving MPG.

·
Registered
151 Posts
2010 5.7 with Auto and MDS

By using Mobil 1 5W20 and not exceeding 70 MPH I have been consistently getting 29 MPG. ( on a Canadian gallon ) It is also very flat here in Manitoba which certainly helps. Inflate your tires to 36 PSI instead of the recommended 32 PSI.
On trips to Fargo , North Dakota I have still been getting 25 MPG at 80-85 MPH but definitely get the best mileage under 75 MPH.

·
Registered
495 Posts
With the six speed and cruise control set at 70 mph I can get around 26-27 mpg which is about the same as I got with the old SE. However, my city driving pushes that number down to 13-14 mpg in traffic conditions. The SE was around 19 mpg in traffic. Since I don't put many miles on, these numbers are only based on two gas fillings. The R/T has only the initial oil change, but will get Mobil 1 this spring. It is sitting covered in the garage.

·
Registered
714 Posts
2010 5.7 with Auto and MDS

By using Mobil 1 5W20 and not exceeding 70 MPH I have been consistently getting 29 MPG. ( on a Canadian gallon ) It is also very flat here in Manitoba which certainly helps. Inflate your tires to 36 PSI instead of the recommended 32 PSI.
On trips to Fargo , North Dakota I have still been getting 25 MPG at 80-85 MPH but definitely get the best mileage under 75 MPH.
29 mpg (imp) = 24,1 mpg (US) :)
25 imp = 20,8 US

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are some pretty good numbers--I'm impressed. Thanks for all the input fellas.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Those are some pretty good numbers--I'm impressed. Thanks for all the input fellas.
I've only got 600+ miles on mine (Mopar 10) and 70% was driving on interstate using cruise control on interstate. Best I could fudge was avg of 20 mpg. In town must be killing it. I'm going to start using the auto stick, have fun, and not worry about it.
But I do hope it will improve if I drive sensibly....

·
Banned
333 Posts
2010 R/T 5.7 with auto trans: 27 mpg.

Amsoil 0w20.

Interstate only, cruise set on 70 mph, MDS activated, 3.73 gears (MPG was nearly identical with stock 3.06 cogs), CAI, homemade cat-back, 35 psi in General UHP (245/45/20)...

I checked the same 3.5-hour trip twice (down and back) to get that figure.

Since then, I have done more mods and no longer use MDS (mostly because of the nasty drone with the longtubes). Have not bothered to actually calculate MPG since.

·
Registered
954 Posts
we have 3700 miles on our 2010 R/T Classic with auto and get around 27 hwy and 16 city.using the conventional oil the dealership puts in.its a auto with mds.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I've only got 600+ miles on mine (Mopar 10) and 70% was driving on interstate using cruise control on interstate. Best I could fudge was avg of 20 mpg. In town must be killing it. I'm going to start using the auto stick, have fun, and not worry about it.
But I do hope it will improve if I drive sensibly....

Just checked mine again after Interstate, town, and backroads = 22.2 MPG. The car runs on 4 cylinders almost all the time on Interstate except a very steep grade. I love it!

·
Registered
411 Posts
09 RT auto with 16 k miles. Gets around 18 mpg in mixed driving and 24 on a highway trip.

I have no idea what oil I dumped into it last month. Whatever 5w20 was on our shop shelf.

·
Registered
159 Posts
'10 R/T, 6spd, 3.92 rearend. 138 miles roundtrip for work every day. Best 24.6, worst 22.4 mpg. 60% 55-60 mph backroads, 40% driving through little towns at 25 to 45 mph. I shift at 2200rpm +/- ..... really makes a difference. And I only got 725 miles on her. Can't wait for it to improve with more break-in. And yes, I'm running premium....and she'll burn'um when she's asked.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
09 R/T MDS Auto, I have been running Mobil 1, 5w20 since 1 k and now have 24k.

Most of my miles have been long trips, in fact the first week we took it to Niagara Falls. I have gotten as high as 28.6, but it is usually around 24 at 70, and it goes down a little from there at higher speeds.

My town mileage is pretty bad, since I always let the car warm up.

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
For those of you experiencing poor city mpg, you might consider doing upshifts so that you are sticking around 2700 rpm, while accelerating. I know that seems needlessly high, but the results could be worth your while. Accelerate briskly to reach just a little above your target cruising speed shortly, then exercise a controlled-coastdown thereon, as needed. Avoid extended application of low end torque (1600-2200 rpm) to maintain or slightly raise speed as you cruise. That is incidentally where voracious fuel appetite occurs (even if using mds), despite how counter-intuitive that sounds. If you need more velocity, kickdown the gear to hit that 2700 rpm range, and accelerate in short bursts, as needed.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Want to run that by me again?

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
What do you need clarification on?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts