Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I was told by dealership that even though SRT392 has 181 max speed, still it would not go beyond 151 mph because all cars manufactured in USA has limited the speed to 151 mph because of the country law. Is it true that no cars can go beyond 151 mph ? But I guess i have seen some videos of cars going beyond 151 mph.

Also would a diablo tuner help in bypassing this thing? If I do it, is there any way dealership will come to know that my car is diablo tuned? Will a diablo tuner void the factory warranty?

Regards,
Alien.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I don't believe it

I think they full of crap

Reactions: Alien Cop

·
Super Moderator
15,596 Posts
Don't believe most of the "information" that dealerships put forth...much of is made up or they don't bother to get the factual information.

This has been in multiple press releases and articles. SRT vehicles don't have speed limiters - the exception has been for the SRT Challenger Demon...due to the speed limitations of the Nitto drag radials (168mph), this model has a speed limiter as to not exceed the rated speed limits for those tires.

Another example - the SRT Challenger Hellcat and Hellcat Charger - the Challenger can reach 199mph (drag limited) and the Charger can run to 204mph due to better aero drag.

IIRC, a Scat Pack reach 177 - 182mph, depending on which transmission its equipped with...

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't believe most of the "information" that dealerships put forth...much of is made up or they don't bother to get the factual information.

This has been in multiple press releases and articles. SRT vehicles don't have speed limiters - the exception has been for the SRT Challenger Demon...due to the speed limitations of the Nitto drag radials (168mph), this model has a speed limiter as to not exceed the rated speed limits for those tires.

Another example - the SRT Challenger Hellcat and Hellcat Charger - the Challenger can reach 199mph (drag limited) and the Charger can run to 204mph due to better aero drag.

IIRC, a Scat Pack reach 177 - 182mph, depending on which transmission its equipped with...
And do you recommend any way to tuine car apart from diablo?

·
Super Moderator
15,596 Posts
And do you recommend any way to tuine car apart from diablo?
Its been the most popular and one of their employees works with a lot of FCA models.

For a stock engine, IMO the unlocked PCM + tuner is a $$$ proposition for small gains. If one is going for more involved mods, then its a different matter. That 10-15 hp change is pretty expensive when the tuner & PCM are ~ $900 before you even factor any other hardware / mods / labor.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its been the most popular and one of their employees works with a lot of FCA models.

For a stock engine, IMO the unlocked PCM + tuner is a $$$ proposition for small gains. If one is going for more involved mods, then its a different matter. That 10-15 hp change is pretty expensive when the tuner & PCM are ~ $900 before you even factor any other hardware / mods / labor.
Can you share a link for the product please or atleast the name?
And after reading your comment, I think you are almost sure that this tuner should not void warranty and I should be good :)

Alien.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Back in the 90s, a magazine I was reading said that a car was usually limited to the speed rating of the tires that the car was originally equipped with, so they suggested buying the best package you could afford, or you may be limited more than you were hoping for. I had a 90 Daytona that could have gone faster, for sure, but it was limited to 135.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back in the 90s, a magazine I was reading said that a car was usually limited to the speed rating of the tires that the car was originally equipped with, so they suggested buying the best package you could afford, or you may be limited more than you were hoping for. I had a 90 Daytona that could have gone faster, for sure, but it was limited to 135.
Its like they put forward a super hot chic infront of you but you can't touch her. :p . Can just imagine how beautiful she is:p

·
Super Moderator
15,596 Posts
And after reading your comment, I think you are almost sure that this tuner should not void warranty and I should be good :)

Alien.
Anytime the PCM is swapped a throttle re-learn must be done (this requires someone with the WiTech system, not a DIY procedure). This is required when putting in a new PCM or swapping your stock one back in.

The dealer can see if there's evidence of the PCM being changed out (cycle counts).

example of the package (tune & PCM) for a '16 Scat Pack:
Modified PCM & inTune i2 Combo 2016 5.7L/6.4L Challenger - VIEW ALL Gasoline and Diesel Tuning Systems | Diablosport

while the tuner / PCM itself would not cause issues, if there was something that came up warranty wise, and they delved further...usually you would want to swap PCM before going in for warranty work. And hope they don't blame the PCM discrepancy as something to suspect the owner of doing anything...

·
Registered
533 Posts
FWIW, I have to swap my B&G PCM back to the OEM to pass emissions on my 2011 SRT.
This is because the B&G has the rear O2 sensors deleted and the emissions program sees that and fails the test.
Swapping them has not required any thing be done beyond changing them out.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Hello All,

I was told by dealership that even though SRT392 has 181 max speed, still it would not go beyond 151 mph because all cars manufactured in USA has limited the speed to 151 mph because of the country law. Is it true that no cars can go beyond 151 mph ? But I guess i have seen some videos of cars going beyond 151 mph.

Also would a diablo tuner help in bypassing this thing? If I do it, is there any way dealership will come to know that my car is diablo tuned? Will a diablo tuner void the factory warranty?

Regards,
Alien.
I think they're full of crap, I do know that these cars are speed limited. My '12 R/T was limited to 130mph from the factory. My DiabloSport i2 tuner let me change speed limiter and rev limiter so my speed limit is now set to 166 and my rev limiter is set to 6400rpm with my hemifever tune. Unless you're racing your car, I don't think you'll notice any of the factory limits. 130mph is quite fast and jail time on the street. I do think that by raising the speed limiter, you might get better torque management, giving better performance at lower speeds too. I don't know this for a fact.

Paul

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think they're full of crap, I do know that these cars are speed limited. My '12 R/T was limited to 130mph from the factory. My DiabloSport i2 tuner let me change speed limiter and rev limiter so my speed limit is now set to 166 and my rev limiter is set to 6400rpm with my hemifever tune. Unless you're racing your car, I don't think you'll notice any of the factory limits. 130mph is quite fast and jail time on the street. I do think that by raising the speed limiter, you might get better torque management, giving better performance at lower speeds too. I don't know this for a fact.

Paul
What tuner did you use? Wouldn't a diablo void your warranty? Wouldnt any tune void the warranty for the car? Can we reset back to factory settings ? And would the dealership come to know about it ?

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
What tuner did you use? Wouldn't a diablo void your warranty? Wouldnt any tune void the warranty for the car? Can we reset back to factory settings ? And would the dealership come to know about it ?
As I said, DiabloSport intune i2 tuner. I don't think it voids the warranty however, if the company could show that a warranty claim could have been caused by the tuner as in a blown motor, then they would deny the claim. I always restore the stock tune prior to taking the car in to the dealer. Not to hide the tune from them, but to preserve my custom tune should the dealer decide to do a pcm update overwriting the tune. I understand that the dealer can see the number of times the pcm has been flashed, so they know about the tune. I bought a 5yr old car, I do as I want with it and don't much care about what little warranty may be left. If it was new, or had the lifetime warranty, I might feel differently. It also varies with who the dealer is, some don't seem to care about mods, others do.

It's your car, so long as you aren't leasing it, do as you see fit.

Paul

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts

Alien.
If you buy a second PCM and a tuner (either Diablo, or HP), you will want to switch out the tuned PCM for your factory one anytime you take your car into the dealer, for two reasons:
(1) if they flash the OBD, you could lose your tune, and;
(2) if they flash the OBD, they will learn you have a tune. That in of itself won't void any warranty, but it will provide the dealer with the excuse to blame the tune for any warranty problem for which you brought them the car. And despite what others may chime in regarding the Magnusson/Moss act, the burden of proof (and the money proving it) falls on you the consumer.

If a dealer wants to discover whether you have a second PCM, even if you swap the OEM PCM in before arriving, they can. There are a multitude of ways, including spark counts. If you're that concerned about your warranty, maybe tuning isn't for you. Not trying to be a jerk, just realistic.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As I said, DiabloSport intune i2 tuner. I don't think it voids the warranty however, if the company could show that a warranty claim could have been caused by the tuner as in a blown motor, then they would deny the claim. I always restore the stock tune prior to taking the car in to the dealer. Not to hide the tune from them, but to preserve my custom tune should the dealer decide to do a pcm update overwriting the tune. I understand that the dealer can see the number of times the pcm has been flashed, so they know about the tune. I bought a 5yr old car, I do as I want with it and don't much care about what little warranty may be left. If it was new, or had the lifetime warranty, I might feel differently. It also varies with who the dealer is, some don't seem to care about mods, others do.

It's your car, so long as you aren't leasing it, do as you see fit.

Paul
Thank you Paul.
I would like to do the tune but as I have 33,000 factory warranty left, so giving it a second thought and trying to find alternate ways. However , your info has been of great help. May be I should just wait for some more days before I find the right dealer who would allow me to do minor changes in tune.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
DODGE CHALLENGER SRT392
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you buy a second PCM and a tuner (either Diablo, or HP), you will want to switch out the tuned PCM for your factory one anytime you take your car into the dealer, for two reasons:
(1) if they flash the OBD, you could lose your tune, and;
(2) if they flash the OBD, they will learn you have a tune. That in of itself won't void any warranty, but it will provide the dealer with the excuse to blame the tune for any warranty problem for which you brought them the car. And despite what others may chime in regarding the Magnusson/Moss act, the burden of proof (and the money proving it) falls on you the consumer.

If a dealer wants to discover whether you have a second PCM, even if you swap the OEM PCM in before arriving, they can. There are a multitude of ways, including spark counts. If you're that concerned about your warranty, maybe tuning isn't for you. Not trying to be a jerk, just realistic.
I completely agree with you but the question still remains open, do all car owners take the risk of tunning it everytime or they kinda get an assurance from their dealer about not voiding their warranty and that they would have to stick to the same dealership everytime they try to walk in for some issues.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts