Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good news is there is a beautiful new Challenger MOPAR 17 edition. Link:

Mopar 17 Challenger: first with a 392

Bad news is there will be only 160 made. So few will be available (Canada if at all) and dealers will throw on a major mark up. :frown:

I wish Dodge wouldn't do this, I like the two tone. Everytime I want to trade up I'm turned off by the rare model mark up or unavailability. I like this model and would forgo getting a T/A if I could get one. The T/A will probably be marked up just like the Hellcat was here. Since I refuse to pay dealer mark up it just keeps me from buying another Challenger.

Why not make make as many as they can sell?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
What is wrong with this video? I mean it doesn't play or gets hung up on YouTube. To the cars, I like em!! Yeah there will be a mark up and I guess we would be lucky just to see one, let alone buy one!

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Because they want to play the "it's rare" card. Sure it is great looking but none of these cars will spike in value in the future enough to be like the first generation.
My favorite feature if this article is accurate is it will only be a manual transmission.
My car looks and is in even better condition than day one but isn't going to get me any extra money if I were to put it up for sale so it becomes my sons car and he will enjoy its pristine condition.
But hey it's 1 of 1000 (1-420 equipped similarly) aren't I special?, lol.
Go out there and just enjoy them.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
I wonder if those dual strut tower braces are actually more functional or just for aesthetics?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I have them installed, I feel a difference. I live at the base of the Guadalupe Mountains and love cruising the mountain roads. The car feels better in the turns and the hood stays more level. Anyway, feels good to me
Oh, and I'm not wetting my pants to rush out and loose money on my trade in for the next new thing FCA throws out there either.
My white Shaker Plus A8 is already 1 of 228. Rare enough for me
And why did they put the 5.7 Shaker badge on the MOPAR 17 Shaker. Duh, the MOPAR design badge like the rear spoiler on the Shaker would have made it more cool

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Good news is there is a beautiful new Challenger Mopar 17 edition. Link:

Mopar 17 Challenger: first with a 392

Bad news is there will be only 160 made. So few will be available (Canada if at all) and dealers will throw on a major mark up. :frown:

I wish Dodge wouldn't do this, I like the two tone. Everytime I want to trade up I'm turned off by the rare model mark up or unavailability. I like this model and would forgo getting a T/A if I could get one. The T/A will probably be marked up just like the Hellcat was here. Since I refuse to pay dealer mark up it just keeps me from buying another Challenger.

Why not make make as many as they can sell?
There is lots of hand painting on this car:

"Contusion Blue and Billet Silver hues are pulled from the Dodge brand’s color palette, with the upper portion of the Mopar ’17 hand-painted Pitch Black at the Mopar Custom Shop to achieve the striking two-tone appearance." & "A special Mopar 392 logo, also hand-painted on at the Mopar Custom Shop, gives an additional custom touch."

These more "crazy" models are usually very low volumes because the company is taking a pretty big risk. The cost of these are high, so if they aren't very popular, and there is too many made, they'll lose money (Look back at the 2010 furious fuchsia, where by late 2011 SRT models were being discounted cheaper than RT models). Unfortunately, a lot of the very custom models can't just be "built to order" because of all of the logistics of getting the proper components, or vendors commitment to do the work. Hand painting is something that needs to be controlled and figured out ahead of time.

·
Super Moderator
14,463 Posts
And why did they put the 5.7 Shaker badge on the MOPAR 17 Shaker. Duh, the MOPAR design badge like the rear spoiler on the Shaker would have made it more cool
the fenders has the "392" with Mopar E flipped around to for the number three. It would look odd to have call-outs on fender and on the scoop. I suppose to make this more unique as part of the package.

and yes, its more expensive - its up into the optioned up SRT w/ A8 price range...but then again, you can't get two-tone paint on any other model. It should have had the 6-piston Super Scat Pack option in that price as well.

All the prior years' Mopar editions are more expense packages than the model they're derived from - Mopar '10 and Mopar '14 Challengers were similar and limited runs of those as well.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These more "crazy" models are usually very low volumes because the company is taking a pretty big risk. The cost of these are high, so if they aren't very popular, and there is too many made, they'll lose money (Look back at the 2010 furious fuchsia, where by late 2011 SRT models were being discounted cheaper than RT models). Unfortunately, a lot of the very custom models can't just be "built to order" because of all of the logistics of getting the proper components, or vendors commitment to do the work. Hand painting is something that needs to be controlled and figured out ahead of time.
Good point, I remember the FF models here starting out over sticker, eventually going to below sticker price when there was no takers.
On a model like this, why not take orders for a month and then build them? No stock cars, only presold ones. I think they'd sell more than 160.

To maybe answer my own query, Dodge could be losing money on each one, even at 10k above a regular 392 Shaker. At either rate, I'd like to get one but won't hold my breath.

·
Super Moderator
14,463 Posts
The most expensive models at a point were the Yellow Jacket SRTs that came along in '12. A fully loaded auto YJ clocked in at $52k on the sticker.

This Mopar package is about $3k above what a 392 Shaker would be if optioned with A8 and every option put into it that's available.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
These are neat looking, but I think I still prefer the T/A model just a tad more, plus it's easy to get a T/A right now and cheaper!!

·
174 Posts
Mopar ’17 Dodge Challenger is a Limited-Edition 80th Birthday Celebration

This year, Mopar is celebrating its 80th birthday with a limited-edition Dodge Challenger, revealed at the 2017 Chicago Auto Show.

Mopar, Fiat Chrysler Automobile’s (FCA) official aftermarket parts arm, puts together limited-edition models every year, but for 2017, the car doubles as a birthday celebration. Mopar will build just 160 of these cars, 80 of which will be available in Pitch Black/Contusion Blue while the other 80 will come in Pitch Black/Billet Silver.

To make sure this car stands out in a crowd, it comes with a two-tone custom paint job, a hand-painted Mopar 392 logo, a Shaker Hood, 20-inch aluminum wheels with semi-gloss accents and chrome exhuast tips.

Powering the Mopar ’17 Challenger is a 6.4-liter V8 makes 485 horsepower and 475 lb-ft of torque, sent through a six-speed manual transmission. A Mopar cold air intake is used to help keep this powerplant running at its best, while an air catcher system that sucks air through one of the headlamps, like on the Hellcat models, has also been added.
Read more about the Mopar ’17 Dodge Challenger is a Limited-Edition 80th Birthday Celebration at AutoGuide.com.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Can someone tell me what the distinction is for a Mopar edition vehicle? Not the aesthetics, but more of the brand. I dont get it, its all Chrysler inst it? I understand Shelby mustangs being partnered with Ford, at least at one time. Then there is companies like Roush that build mustangs for dealerships. So im just trying to understand how Mopar cars are positioned from a brand perspective.

I always figured Mopar as the performance parts division.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I like the tu-tone paint. The strut braces and aircatcher are cool too. But at low to mid $50's they are, IMHO, way overpriced. I gotta believe the SRT 392 or T/A 392 provides a much better value. But hey, thats just me. Pic your poison, they are all cool. The more choices the better.:laugh2:

·
Super Moderator
13,434 Posts
It's nice that Dodge is putting out a limited edition Challenger, but that glossy two tone paint job is not for me.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Chevrolet was burned by doing things like this. The Nordstrom limited edition Camaro was a flop. They didn't learn from that one and continued with oddball "rare" cars.

Rarity came from the wide variety of options that you used to be able to select on a build sheet. Those days are long gone. The stuff they do today is like putting the word, "collectible" in front of something which immediately tells you it's not.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Chevrolet was burned by doing things like this. The Nordstrom limited edition Camaro was a flop. They didn't learn from that one and continued with oddball "rare" cars.

Rarity came from the wide variety of options that you used to be able to select on a build sheet. Those days are long gone. The stuff they do today is like putting the word, "collectible" in front of something which immediately tells you it's not.
John Varvatos edition Chrysler 300 :huh:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts