Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I agree. Dodge, as a marketing ploy, has created way too many "limited edition" Challengers. Most will never be collectible. Just consider these:

2008 SRT (numbered)
2009 R/T Classic
2010 Furious Fuchsia
2010 MOPAR 10
2012 SRT Yellowjacket
2013 R/T Blacktop
2014 MOPAR 14
2014 100th Anniversary Edition
2015 Hellcat
2017 80th Anniversary
2017 T/A
2017 GT (AWD)
2017 Demon

10 Special Edition Dodge Challengers | Autobytel.com
You missed the best one, although not done by MOPAR, The Super Wasp, 10 especially modded by Steve White's :D

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
I am happy to be corrected if I am wrong but wasn't there a limited edition 392 offered in 2011 in White with Blue stripes or Blue with White stripes?
Correct, the first SRT 392 in 2011 was a special edition so the article is not really correct saying the Mopar 17 is the first 392 powered SE.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
off topic but, I wonder why dodge never put a 426 Hemi (Gen III) in an R/T, it seems only natural. Better yet a 440 Cu. In. Hemi, yeah I know they were Wedge motors but still, the extra displacement could not hurt.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
off topic but, I wonder why dodge never put a 426 Hemi (Gen III) in an R/T, it seems only natural. Better yet a 440 Cu. In. Hemi, yeah I know they were Wedge motors but still, the extra displacement could not hurt.
It may be the trade offs for:

>fuel economy / power vs. displacement
>physical limits on keeping the same block dimensions architecture and displacement possible
>durability of engine with length of stroke, side loads on internal components
>costs of having most common shared parts among V8 versions

·
Registered
254 Posts
I like them but, without a performance boost, and just cosmetics.....meh.
I guess this proves adding those outside air intakes like the Hellcats to a 392 makes no power difference either.
IMHO, I would prefer a retro anniversary edition, with cool orange retro style intake systems, decals, etc and other stuff....including performance to go along with the different looks.

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
I like them but, without a performance boost, and just cosmetics.....meh.
I guess this proves adding those outside air intakes like the Hellcats to a 392 makes no power difference either.
IMHO, I would prefer a retro anniversary edition, with cool orange retro style intake systems, decals, etc and other stuff....including performance to go along with the different looks.
The power ratings for the engines are done in dyno cells on an engine stand, not in the vehicle. So whatever intake system / exhaust system in that vehicles engine/drivetrain/emission system application is used in the test.

-FCA wouldn't submit all these variations (T/A CAI system, Shaker CAI system, Hellcat Air Catcher, or Demon Air Grabber) for certs and testing - its expensive and probably yields the same net result, since these are not in-vehicle test procedures.

Here's an excerpt of the SAE test procedure and correction factor references values.

Table 2 defines reference atmospheric conditions and test ranges for which correction factors are valid.
TABLE 2—REFERENCE ATMOSPHERIC CONDITIONS
Standard Condition / Test Range Limits

Inlet Air Supply Pressure (absolute) 100 kPa —
Dry Air Pressure (absolute) 99 kPa / 90-105 kPa
Inlet Air Supply Temperature 25 °C / 15-35 °C

The aftermarket claims for their products - its highly subjective and results vary, as we've seen in the real-world.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Say what you want, I LOVE mine!!! #26

Edit to add:
Oh, and I drive it, over 15K on the clock thus far...when my kids inherit it, it will be well used!!! :p

41 - 47 of 47 Posts