Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home this am and i went to give it some gas to speed up and noticed it wasnt running..pulled over and restartwd it and it went into gear..so started driving again and it dod the same thing..but before pulling over i noticed both traction control and traction control off...were both lit up??? Also jave a small video clip of what its doing as far as what lights come on in the dash..any help. please....i unhooked battery for 5 to 10 minutes but did not change?? Also wanted to mention that both yellow car ocons were lit up at same time...thats never happened???Thanks for any help in advance 20200629_072917.jpg

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
6,543 Posts
It’s not limp mode, that doesn’t kill the engine. It just limits the trans to one gear and won’t let the RPMs rise quickly or excessively.

If the engine is dying on you, those lights would light up just by virtue of the ignition being on but the engine off. Check the battery cables and make sure they are tight and not corroded.

If the battery is able to start the car, it shouldn’t be the culprit itself, but I suppose anything is possible.

The alternator is another possibility, it actually provides the current necessary to keep the car running once it is started, so it can’t have any issues if car is expected to run, but this doesn’t sound like a bad alternator to me.

It sounds like you are losing continuity somewhere in the electrical system, somewhere vitally important obviously.

·
Premium Member
6,543 Posts
Does the Check Engine light remain illuminated after the engine starts? If so, there are some DTCs stored that should be retrieved for help diagnosing this.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another pic to show what light keeps flickering when it happens..its that light to the left of the seatbelt light that flickers when it rough idles in park

20200629_080536.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s not limp mode, that doesn’t kill the engine. It just limits the trans to one gear and won’t let the RPMs rise quickly or excessively.

If the engine is dying on you, those lights would light up just by virtue of the ignition being on but the engine off. Check the battery cables and make sure they are tight and not corroded.

If the battery is able to start the car, it shouldn’t be the culprit itself, but I suppose anything is possible.

The alternator is another possibility, it actually provides the current necessary to keep the car running once it is started, so it can’t have any issues if car is expected to run, but this doesn’t sound like a bad alternator to me.

It sounds like you are losing continuity somewhere in the electrical system, somewhere vitally important obviously.

Battery good and no corrosion of any kind

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery good and no corrosion of any kind
nkindnot sure the engine dies but no response from the pedal untill i shut it off and restart it then it takes off and shifts fine untill it happens again...but it has a rough type of idle about every 5 to 10 seconds and when that hapoens thats when the red light comes on beside the seat belt sign

·
Premium Member
6,543 Posts
Any recent work or mods done to the car?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No engine light comes on after the start up and it goes out...not sure the engine dies but no response from the pedal untill i shut it off and restart it then it takes off and shifts fine untill it happens again...but it has a rough type of idle about every 5 to 10 seconds and when that hapoens thats when the red light comes on beside the seat belt sign
Unhooked battery posts for 5 minutes also...no help

·
Premium Member
6,543 Posts
What year model is the car? How many miles?

Standard or automatic transmission?

If automatic, wait until it freaks out again, then try to engage AutoStick mode and see what it does. Does it allow you go into AutoStick? Does it allow shifting from 1 to 2 in AutoStick?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes check engine light is on after driving it for the sexond time down the road...pkus when i first start it it odle up and stays up for a few then come ba k down to 900 to 1000 rpm
2012 rt with with 126000 on the clock..also when i start it up and its already been drivin or warmed up it goes up to about 2000 or 2200 rpms and then comes down slow..didnt go up like that before but the engine light is still on when i drive it..so might need to get it scanned maybe???

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,800 Posts
2012 rt with with 126000 on the clock..also when i start it up and its already been drivin or warmed up it goes up to about 2000 or 2200 rpms and then comes down slow..didnt go up like that before but the engine light is still on when i drive it..so might need to get it scanned maybe???
Yes, any time a car acts odd, and any light comes on, scan for codes. Tons of ways you can do this for well under $50, or go to most parts stores and they will do it for free.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,800 Posts
That is the electronic throttle body, could be the sensor in it, or maybe the pedal assembly as a W.A.G. Check codes.
If a light comes on, the car did it for a reason and will tell you why.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What year model is the car? How many miles?

Standard or automatic transmission?

If automatic, wait until it freaks out again, then try to engage AutoStick mode and see what it does. Does it allow you go into AutoStick? Does it allow shifting from 1 to 2 in AutoStick?
Ok just drove it again went thru all gears in auto just fine then stopped and took off in first thru 5th just dine using the tap shift...on way back it acted up again 4 times..it never stalled or stopped running it just had no throttle response??? And when i pulled into my driveway it acted like it was in the 4 cylinder mode and ides rough and that red ligjt next to seat belt light flickers on and off

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok just drove it again went thru all gears in auto just fine then stopped and took off in first thru 5th just dine using the tap shift...on way back it acted up again 4 times..it never stalled or stopped running it just had no throttle response??? And when i pulled into my driveway it acted like it was in the 4 cylinder mode and ides rough and that red ligjt next to seat belt light flickers on and off
Also bothe yellow lights for traction control were on and only have ever seen one on and thats when i hit the traction control button the bottom of the two will come on..never have aeen the top one on untill today the one that says off under the car

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That is the electronic throttle body, could be the sensor in it, or maybe the pedal assembly as a W.A.G. Check codes.
If a light comes on, the car did it for a reason and will tell you why.
Yea will have to take it in to get it scanned i guess just ao i know...

20200629_084637.jpg
20200629_080536.jpg

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 49 Posts