Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why, maybe just bad luck, there is 5 rattling noise in my car, it's killing me, I'm considering selling my car soon if I can't fix it.

1. plastic shaking in the center dash. (working on it now)
2. metal clanking in C pillar. (fixed by removed airbag holder)
3. rattling in the rear suspension. (fixed by tightening all nut)
4. squeak steering wheel after a long run. (reduced by re-lube, not totally gone)
5. poping dash over bumps. (reduced by remove dash speaker cover, not totally gone)

All the noise started from last Christmas. My car is 2016 SXT with 27,000 miles only, no accident, I really don't understand why it rattles like crazy. I have had a 100,000 miles Chrysler 200 convertible quite as an angle. I'm a mechanical engineer, I try to do everything myself and avoid dealer. But I really can't figure out the first rattle in the list, the rattle is in the dash, I can't pull the dash out cause I don't have a garage. Long story short, I took my car to 3 dealers and stay there for over 15 days in last two months, I've been told it's normal from all of them. I contact dodge care, they are willing to help but actually did nothing. From the 3 trips to dealers, I got nothing but chipped my front lip a bit, and one of them washed my car without asking me, destroy my wax. the service manager is being a jerk, I can't even argue with him cause I'm not a native English speaker, I speak really slow. I'm really really angry about all of that bullshit.

So here is my question:
1. How can I report the dealer?
2. here is the rattling I recorded, any suggestion?
some speaker can't hear it, try to play on iPhone, it's very clear on iPhone.

I'm desperate, thank you for any reply!

·
Premium Member
10,367 Posts
Have someone else drive while you try to narrow it down. If you have a Harbor Freight tool store in the area you can buy a mechanics stethoscope for under $10 and direct it to specific places to determine the source. I was able on my truck find which accessory pulley had a bad bearing, I guessed at the belt tensioner but it actually was the alternator. It was so well worth the money. If may be something as simple as a wire tapping on the firewall or other structure under there. If you have access to a bore scope you can look around under there. Good luck.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have someone else drive while you try to narrow it down. If you have a Harbor Freight tool store in the area you can buy a mechanics stethoscope for under $10 and direct it to specific places to determine the source. I was able on my truck find which accessory pulley had a bad bearing, I guessed at the belt tensioner but it actually was the alternator. It was so well worth the money. If may be something as simple as a wire tapping on the firewall or other structure under there. If you have access to a bore scope you can look around under there. Good luck.
Thank you very much! I'll get some tools tomorrow.

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack; 2018 SXT
87 Posts
I have some light 'creak' in my 2018 when the temps are cooler and the car goes turn at an angle over a driveway (so torsional twist). The dealer did make it better but it's still there and now I'm just used to it. Have you tried some sound deadening or foam, if you can find the exact spot?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have some light 'creak' in my 2018 when the temps are cooler and the car goes turn at an angle over a driveway (so torsional twist). The dealer did make it better but it's still there and now I'm just used to it. Have you tried some sound deadening or foam, if you can find the exact spot?
Same here, those plastic parts are not hard enough, they twist and thermally expand a lot. I tried to sand the edge and clips of the dash speaker cover (very long one all the way through dash), making contact area very rough, give it more grip to not squeak, It works, but thermal expand still making noise. I tried noise insulation cotton, the very fluffy one from home depot for $5, not really working. I'm running without cover now like in the video, 99% noise gone, ugly but gain peace of mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts