Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone consider installing a lithium ion battery in their Challenger? I know they are expensive I was looking at options to save some weight.

Ben

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ben, I have been considering a lithium battery for several months, but am concerned about their lower amp hour ratings versus the parasitic drain from the Challenger’s electronics. I’m sure if a car is driven regularly, extensive discharge wouldn’t be an issue. I added a Challenger space saver spare and jack, so shaving 30 pounds off the battery would help neutralize some of the added weight. At this time, I feel that purchasing a lithium battery is more of an expensive “take one for the team” experiment to see how these batteries perform in general service. Unfortunately, there is precious little information available from real world users, although some very high-end cars are starting to offer lithium batteries as standard equipment. I’m currently leaning toward a Braille i48c or i49c battery, due to their sterling motorsports reputation, although the Antigravity RS-20 looks like a good alternative at less than $600; but again, the amp hour rating is a worry. If I hit the lotto, I’ll post up some pictures and feedback for other interested parties.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
I did some extensive testing and research on a lithium iron (not ion) battery a couple years ago. What I learned, at that time, was that these batteries don't like cold weather below 35 degrees, and they don't like being subjected to deep discharge. That was then and this is now, but these are the two areas you want to look closely at. Weight savings? Sure. But for the battery I tested, the cons outweighed the pro's. I indeed "took one for the forum" in buying the thing as it was nearly double what I would pay for a regular lead acid battery. I definitely didn't get my money's worth. Not sure if that helps as it's just general info, but for me, the technology was not ready for prime time.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
If you decide against the lithium battery, I would recommend the Bosch Platinum battery (H7/L4/94R)- their best. The list price was $219.99 but I got 25% off at Pep Boys (ordered from its web site), plus there was a $10 rebate from Bosch- net cost= $155. A pretty good deal for a premium battery.

The battery uses absorbed glass mat technology and is supposed to last 2X longer than a conventional battery. It has 800 CCA and 960 CA Reserve- better than the MOPAR battery. It also comes with a free replacement warranty for the first 48 months.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I had one on my Motorcycle for a year. It died during my first winter even while hooked up to a trickle charger. Not sure if I just had a bad battery, or if that's fairly normal.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I had one on my Motorcycle for a year. It died during my first winter even while hooked up to a trickle charge hooke up to it. Not sure if I just had a bad battery, or if that's fairly normal.
No that's not normal. You indeed had a bad battery. FWIW, any battery can die within a year. Hope they replaced it for you. Needless to say, no battery manufacturer would be in business if their batteries puked out this quickly.

Best thing you do with a lithium ion battery over the winter is just disconnect it. It won't lose any power before spring as they have amazing "shelf life."

·
Registered
230 Posts
No that's not normal. You indeed had a bad battery. FWIW, any battery can die within a year. Hope they replaced it for you. Needless to say, no battery manufacturer would be in business if their batteries puked out this quickly.

Best thing you do with a lithium ion battery over the winter is just disconnect it. It won't lose any power before spring as they have amazing "shelf life."
I figured as much, but wasn't sure. I did get a replacement, but haven't even hooked it up yet.

Also, sorry for my butchering of the English language in my previous post.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If you decide against the lithium battery, I would recommend the Bosch Platinum battery (H7/L4/94R)- their best. The list price was $219.99 but I got 25% off at Pep Boys (ordered from its web site), plus there was a $10 rebate from Bosch- net cost= $155. A pretty good deal for a premium battery.

The battery uses absorbed glass mat technology and is supposed to last 2X longer than a conventional battery. It has 800 CCA and 960 CA Reserve- better than the MOPAR battery. It also comes with a free replacement warranty for the first 48 months.

Cuda,

You don't happen to know the weight of that battery, do ya? Also was wondering something else: my Camry had to have a special battery (set up for a vent tube) since it was located in an enclosed area (the trunk) that could exhaust poisonous gasses into the passenger compartment. I don't know anything about the Challenger set up except that my battery is in the trunk just like that of my Camry. That leads me to wonder if the factory Challenger battery has a vent tube and requires a special replacement battery??? :|
Gary

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,821 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,849 Posts
It weighs 47 lbs. Pep Boys has it on sale for $164.99. The regular price is $219.99.

The model number is H7/L494R. It is made to be vented.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts