Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Do not consider shopping for a "new to you" R/T from Avis, Enterprise or Hertz Car Rental Sales to save some coin and stay within your budget" - Is he right? If he's not why? Would you buy your Challenger this way? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Papabean

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was thinking of trading my 2017 SXT plus for a Scat Pack. Passed due to condition and the vision of the renters who had to much fun in the car. Decent prices though. My car is like new with 7k on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
8,579 Posts
If the price is right, do it. You're definitely taking a gamble, but the odds are in your favor you'll get a winner instead of roll snake eyes and get a lemon.

If you are going to do it, you are better off knowing as much about the history of the car as possible...the service history, that is. Download Carfax's 'myCarFax' app and install it, then add prospective cars to your garage by their VIN, then check their Service History tab to see what all has been done to the car so far (and what hasn't).

Don't forget to remove the cars from your myCarfax Garage once you're done researching them. Otherwise it could cause a conflict with someone else looking to use the same trick to research the car for a buy. :geek:

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too have those same visions, but the prices are very tempting especially in light of the dealer fees that get tacked on at any dealership. Down here in FL there are soooo many rentals and quite the collection.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the price is right, do it. You're definitely taking a gamble, but the odds are in your favor you'll get a winner instead of roll snake eyes and get a lemon.

If you are going to do it, you are better off knowing as much about the history of the car as possible...the service history, that is. Download Carfax's 'myCarFax' app and install it, then add prospective cars to your garage by their VIN, then check their Service History tab to see what all has been done to the car so far (and what hasn't).

Don't forget to remove the cars from your myCarfax Garage once you're done researching them. Otherwise it could cause a conflict with someone else looking to use the same trick to research the car for a buy. :geek:
Great suggestion, thank you!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking of trading my 2017 SXT plus for a Scat Pack. Passed due to condition and the vision of the renters who had to much fun in the car. Decent prices though. My car is like new with 7k on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So nice!!!! (y)(y)(y)(y)

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
It's not the same as buying a used cop Charger, it's probably just a little better in fact. However the scenarios are similar. You will be getting a car whose previous drivers did not care that much about how the car might operate in the future. So that can be bad. But at least you've got the advantage (over a used cop Charger) of the previous drivers NOT driving over curbs at high speeds and idling the engine for hours at a time (like would be the case in a cop Charger).

I keep bringing up cop Chargers because I happen to drive one, and I've helped my neighbor work on several that he's bought. There are some real messes to be had out there, but that doesn't mean they all are. Do your homework and research as much as you can about the individual cars beforehand. If you can test drive any before buying, that's even better!

At the end of the day, any car you get will need a whole bunch of preventative maintenance done right off the bat as soon as you get it. Things like changing all the fluids (trans, rear-end, power steering, brake, engine coolant), a complete brake job possibly, and even new tires may be required just to get the car to the point you can register it. So keep that in mind.

Good luck, and be sure to post up some pics if you end up getting one!

Nuke

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not the same as buying a used cop Charger, it's probably just a little better in fact. However the scenarios are similar. You will be getting a car whose previous drivers did not care that much about how the car might operate in the future. So that can be bad. But at least you've got the advantage (over a used cop Charger) of the previous drivers NOT driving over curbs at high speeds and idling the engine for hours at a time (like would be the case in a cop Charger).

I keep bringing up cop Chargers because I happen to drive one, and I've helped my neighbor work on several that he's bought. There are some real messes to be had out there, but that doesn't mean they all are. Do your homework and research as much as you can about the individual cars beforehand. If you can test drive any before buying, that's even better!

At the end of the day, any car you get will need a whole bunch of preventative maintenance done right off the bat as soon as you get it. Things like changing all the fluids (trans, rear-end, power steering, brake, engine coolant), a complete brake job possibly, and even new tires may be required just to get the car to the point you can register it. So keep that in mind.

Good luck, and be sure to post up some pics if you end up getting one!

Nuke
Good point. Any savings that could be realized might get eaten up in repair bills, but then again private owner would be the same possibly and dealers are gouging you for the work they have in it to get lot-ready.

I'm not sure what I am gonna do yet, but they seem to range in miles anywhere from 15k-35k so maybe less miles = better odds.

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Good point. Any savings that could be realized might get eaten up in repair bills, but then again private owner would be the same possibly and dealers are gouging you for the work they have in it to get lot-ready.
I'm not sure what I am gonna do yet, but they seem to range in miles anywhere from 15k-35k so maybe less miles = better odds.
Oh wow, that's much fewer miles than i was thinking. I was thinking more like 60K - 100K, so you are in even better shape than I thought.

Again, it's all about the price i think. If you can get one that's got a good history and low miles and runs good, you could really be making off with a steal, assuming price is right.

Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was a out the door quote from Avis down here for White Knuckle 2018: 2018 DODGE CHALLENGER R/T / 26,500 MILES / GRAND TOTAL (TAX,TAG,TITLE,FEE'S) = $ 25,725

Avis Car Sales

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,698 Posts
"Do not consider shopping for a "new to you" R/T from Avis, Enterprise or Hertz Car Rental Sales to save some coin and stay within your budget" - Is he right? If he's not why? Would you buy your Challenger this way? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Papabean
Buying a rental car is a gamble. While many believe these are thrashed to an inch of their lives I've rented a number of vehicles over the years and drive them rather gently maybe even more gentle than I drive my cars.

I appreciated the fact with a driver license and credit card I can walk into a car rental agency anywhere in the USA and rent a car, pickup, moving van.

I want to do nothing to put this ability at risk. A good number of other people are the same. We have no interest in beating a car to death but to get someplace we need to be then returning on time and dropping the rental vehicle off with no delay.

And often I'm in a rather crowded rental agency with a number of people seeking to rent vehicles. I have yet to see anyone who looks like he (or she) would abuse a rental car.

A few times I have rented cars I thought I might be interested in but I never tried to duplicate the factory's 0 to 60mph time or its claimed top speed for the vehicle. I just wanted to "live" with the vehicle a day or several just to get a better feel for the vehicle than a brief drive around the block would give me.

Still there is a risk. It depends upon if you are lucky or not. My sister is lucky and she bought a rental Camaro. While I had my doubts and advised her not to she went ahead and the car proved to be a real good car.

·
Registered
156 Posts
When I was looking last year, Avis (I think) were offering a three day rental - if you bought it you got the rental free (or knocked off the price). Three days should give you plenty of time to drive it, feel it, look over, under, in it and maybe get it looked at by someone who knows them. I was tempted. Found the colours I liked but never quite the car I wanted.

. . .and then I went to Carmax in Houston ;) Who let me take a trac pack R/T, one lady (veteren) owner, 20,000 mile car on an extended drive, put it up on a ramp for me to take a look under, swopped two tyres, did all the paperwork, held onto it until it was collected, checked with me on the phone that the right person had come to collect it and keys - so I can't fault them (I did have a slight "grrrr" when I discovered what that lady got for it on trade in at an Acura dealer, and then on auction to Carmax, but hey-ho, it's only money . . .).

I had a little more angst than you might have - I left mine in their lot while I flew back home to the UK in June last year having handed over a decent chunk of GBP converted to USD . . . I didn't see it again until it had been unloaded from a container in the Port of London in late August when I drove it home to Northern England . . . modified to our regs and passed inspection and registered in early November - just in time for cold, greasy, icy roads last winter . . . it's fantastic :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yeah, I would, almost did, but then we saw a 'Shaker'. :love:
Rented a 2018 RT maximum steele 5.7 for five days on the gulf coast from Enterprise back in May of this year. It was awesome car, not a scratch on it, 9k miles. It drove and run so nice, sounded awesome.
My wife loved driving that Challenger. I had to talk her back down, on the entrance ramps to I-10. Merge means move into the flow of traffic. Not pass or blow by anything that is near. You can't tell redheads anything !
I told her they were going to put her under the jail !
We didn't abuse the Enterprise car any. I checked oil when I bought gas. I got questions about it at the gas stations. ( I told one guy I was delivering it back to Texas for law firm that owned it) It had Texas tags.
Alignment was perfect. Tires were balanced great, it was awesome car. They guy at Enterprise said it wasn't for sale. That car was the reason we bought our 2019 June first, this year.

Like Bacon hauler said, get it checked out before you buy it. Cat-scan ( if you have cat) ?
If you know a gypsy have them check the 'aura' ( you want good aura) :alien:
no negative waves,

You can get the FCA maxcare warranty if its below the 36k miles,
I think you can get the maxcare even if you don't by it from a dealer. You will have to get maxcare from a dealer though, probably.
As long it hasn't been flooded or anything like that. Get one from the south, no salt.

Best regards and good luck

·
Premium Member
8,579 Posts
Buying a rental car is a gamble. While many believe these are thrashed to an inch of their lives I've rented a number of vehicles over the years and drive them rather gently maybe even more gentle than I drive my cars.

I appreciated the fact with a driver license and credit card I can walk into a car rental agency anywhere in the USA and rent a car, pickup, moving van.

I want to do nothing to put this ability at risk. A good number of other people are the same. We have no interest in beating a car to death but to get someplace we need to be then returning on time and dropping the rental vehicle off with no delay.

And often I'm in a rather crowded rental agency with a number of people seeking to rent vehicles. I have yet to see anyone who looks like he (or she) would abuse a rental car.

A few times I have rented cars I thought I might be interested in but I never tried to duplicate the factory's 0 to 60mph time or its claimed top speed for the vehicle. I just wanted to "live" with the vehicle a day or several just to get a better feel for the vehicle than a brief drive around the block would give me.

Still there is a risk. It depends upon if you are lucky or not. My sister is lucky and she bought a rental Camaro. While I had my doubts and advised her not to she went ahead and the car proved to be a real good car.
Out of the last two rentals I had for extended periods while I was trying to troubleshoot an electrical gremlin on my last Challenger, I ended up changing the oil and filter on one of them (it needed it, I wasn’t just doing it for the hell of it) and I washed and waxed both (spray wax, nothing fancy).

Oh yeah, and I did some clear coat swirl correction on one of them because someone apparently went after the trunk lid with a potato sack instead of a towel (IDK, just what I imagined would have done that kind of damage).

I realize I’m in the minority, but like you say, not everyone is out to trash them.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Papabean
I know this is not a Challenger, but i bought a 98 toyota corolla ftom Enterprise and I drove it for 17 years with no problems. I traded it in for my 2014 Challenger RT, that i bought from a dealer and it only had 21000, miles on it, was a prior rental. It runs great. I've owned it for 2 years now with no problems

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
My friend's son bought a '17 Challenger R/T from one of the rental companies, I don't rmember which, but the car looked great, inside and out. A couple of scuffs on the door panel and a little seat wear, along with a couple of paint chips.. No mechanical issues whatsoever and I drove it and it was rattle free and everything worked and it drove straight. Tires were about half worn, so that fit the 26K miles on it. He got it in the Chicago area and it's been driven back and forth from there to Toledo a couple of times in the 2 months he's had it. I don't know what he paid for it.

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,381 Posts
Years ago I hopped in the rental car with a friend. He stomped on the pedal and just took off. He wound up that engine like nobody's business. At the next light I noticed the mileage on the car. "This car's only got 80 miles on it," I said (I forget the exact number). "Maybe you oughta go a little easy on it until it's gets broken in." To this he replies, "Who cares, it's a rental. Everybody drives the *$&#% out of them."
I never forgot that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
My vote is no. I would never purchase a performance vehicle this way. You have absolutely no idea what sort of beating that people put on that car. People are absolutely retarded when it comes to how they treat cars.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Years ago I hopped in the rental car with a friend. He stomped on the pedal and just took off. He wound up that engine like nobody's business. At the next light I noticed the mileage on the car. "This car's only go 80 miles on it," I said (I forget the exact number). "Maybe you oughta go a little easy on it until it's gets broken in." To this he replies, "Who cares, it's a rental. Everybody drives the *$&#% out of them."
I never forgot that.
Yeah dude. Break in procedure is HUGE. Do they even normally allow for break-in procedure of a rental when the rental company gets brand new models? I highlight again: people are absolutely, unequivocally, THE WORST with how they treat vehicles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah dude. Break in procedure is HUGE. Do they even normally allow for break-in procedure of a rental when the rental company gets brand new models? I highlight again: people are absolutely, unequivocally, THE WORST with how they treat vehicles.
But covered under Engine and Powertain Warranty yes?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts