Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am finally pulling the trigger and upgrading from my 2015 scat to a hellcat red-eye and I cant be more excited. my only questions are how do I handle the car registration? The dealer I am purchasing from in in Nevada and they are going to pay the registration as part of a purchase perk and I do not want to get back into Cali and end up having to pay twice?

Thanks, and if you could explain your answer that would help me understand what steps i should do at the time of signing

Thanks again?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,411 Posts
Hey everyone, I am finally pulling the trigger and upgrading from my 2015 scat to a hellcat red-eye and I cant be more excited. my only questions are how do I handle the car registration? The dealer I am purchasing from in in Nevada and they are going to pay the registration as part of a purchase perk and I do not want to get back into Cali and end up having to pay twice?

Thanks, and if you could explain your answer that would help me understand what steps i should do at the time of signing

Thanks again?
I have bought 4 cars out of state. I live in PA, and 1 was from VA, the other 3 from OH. Each time, the process was totally unique. The VA one was the most seamless but literally took the dealership over 2 months. Twice they sent me new temporary VA plates to keep me legal, but I couldn't get a PA inspection done until registration was completed. The 3 Ohio cars were varying amounts of me doing PA work and taxes.
I think it all comes down to the actual dealership and how much they are willing to work with/for you. They have the ability to do just about everything, or at least coordinate it, but they really aren't required to. Also my dad bought a car here in PA and drove it back to NV, the PA dealer charged them the tax amount he would owe in NV, so it all rolled into the purchase, then wrote him a check back for that amount so he could submit it to NV when he got there with the car. So I would see if the NV dealer would refund what the included "perk" price is so you can then put that towards CA.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,649 Posts

Thanks again?
Did you tell NV dealer you are out of state and will not be registering the car in NV but instead will register the car in CA?

You might also check the CA DMV web site to see if it has anything on buying a car from out of state.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I doubt the NV dealer will collect the smog impact fee, so there will be that.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,539 Posts
A Nevada dealer knowing you are buying from California should know the routine. They should be able to get it registered in your home county. You'll have to get a smog test in your county (all are 50 state Emissions, no issue). Your dealer should collect the registration and title fees, and the sales tax for your county in California. Make sure you give them the address of the closest DMV to you, they should submit the fees to CA DMV.

I believe you get a temp NV tag, and are supposed to get a temp CA tag until your actual plates come in, but apparently many just wait for the plates. Once the dealer confirms that the CA DMV has your paperwork, you take your smog test to the DMV and pick up your registration, and plates, and title if you own it (not financed).

I'd have a conversation with the dealer, they should be familiar especially if near the border with CA. I imaging you can do it differently, but I assume more hassle, and yes, maybe additional fees.

New cars in California don't have to have smog tests for 6 years, you do pay a smog abatement fee. So after the original smog test to get an out of state car registered, I think you are good 6 years.

Found this that seems to say registering a car bought out of state might also be easy

A Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts