Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've considered buying one myself. I've rode in both the automatic and the 6 speed version. The 6 speeds aren't geared right for the car in my opinion and it was disappointing to me to be honest. I've got a 525 HP first gen Camaro with a 4 speed and 3.73 gears and it honestly feels faster than the M6 hellcat. Dodge took the trans and rear diff gearing from the viper which weighs 1,000 lbs less and is targeted at road coarse type racing. If the 6 speed car had the scat pack's gearing, it would be much more fun to drive to me and would prompt me to pick it over a 6 speed scat pack. 1st gear in a HC tops out at 63 mph, your running 95ish in 2nd, and 3rd is well over 100. For a 707 HP car, it seemed like it took way too long for it to wind up and was ready for to the next gear. The automatic car however, that was insane to ride in and this is coming from a die hard 6 speed guy. Just the way it accelerated, it felt like it had 300 more horsepower and this was a stock auto HC vs a stock M6 HC. The ZF 8 speed makes the hellcat a true performer. I think with what I know now, I'll likely purchase a scat pack as the acceleration to 100 mph 6 speed car to 6 speed car isn't much different at all when you factor in the better gearing of the scat pack vs the 200 extra HP of the hellcat. The hellcat's power really starts to shine at 100+ mph and pulls on the scat pack then and I don't do that too often so it's not really worth it for me personally. Maybe this will help you in your decision making process.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I started out with a 2016 scat pack, after 6 months of owning it (it was a blast to drive) i knew that i wanted to step up to the hellcat. I haven't regretted it at all. I ended up with a 2016 Hellcat with a few more options than my scatpack had. If the hellcat didn't exist i would have the scat pack and do all of the hp upgrades.
Insert 2019 Scat and 2020 Hellcat with less options and you just described my situation.

Gateway drug indeed...

·
Registered
62 Posts
@74 'Cuda are you running the stock diff? If so, have you thought about swapping to the 3.09? The stock HC is geared so it can hit 60 in 1st gear which to me is not ideal.
I do not have a HC. I've just rode in a stock automatic and a stock M6 and offered the original poster my insight on the two cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree with 19johned53...his advice is stellar. I have an R/T and would love to have the SP, but at the time finances wouldn't allow. I'll be ready for another in 2 years and if I'm able I will have the 392, but if not then I have to be happy with what I have. Let's face it, street racing is illegal, speed limits restrict you and there will always be a car out there faster than yours. I enjoy the looks, the sound and the feel of my R/T, but to be honest the little extra I would get from the 392 makes me want one. If you have the money, do what you want. But if it straps you and all you are paying for is that dream then it will soon turn into a nightmare. Good reasons and good finances should be your determining factors.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
1,189 Posts
I've considered buying one myself. I've rode in both the automatic and the 6 speed version. The 6 speeds aren't geared right for the car in my opinion and it was disappointing to me to be honest. I've got a 525 HP first gen Camaro with a 4 speed and 3.73 gears and it honestly feels faster than the M6 hellcat. Dodge took the trans and rear diff gearing from the viper which weighs 1,000 lbs less and is targeted at road coarse type racing. If the 6 speed car had the scat pack's gearing, it would be much more fun to drive to me and would prompt me to pick it over a 6 speed scat pack. 1st gear in a HC tops out at 63 mph, your running 95ish in 2nd, and 3rd is well over 100. For a 707 HP car, it seemed like it took way too long for it to wind up and was ready for to the next gear. The automatic car however, that was insane to ride in and this is coming from a die hard 6 speed guy. Just the way it accelerated, it felt like it had 300 more horsepower and this was a stock auto HC vs a stock M6 HC. The ZF 8 speed makes the hellcat a true performer. I think with what I know now, I'll likely purchase a scat pack as the acceleration to 100 mph 6 speed car to 6 speed car isn't much different at all when you factor in the better gearing of the scat pack vs the 200 extra HP of the hellcat. The hellcat's power really starts to shine at 100+ mph and pulls on the scat pack then and I don't do that too often so it's not really worth it for me personally. Maybe this will help you in your decision making process.
I agree. I've never driven a Hellcat, but I've raced several at the track in my Scat Pack. I can keep up and even beat sometimes a M6 Hellcat. A8 Hellcat forget it, they're gone. I raced a guy in a M6 Hellcat with drag radials against my A8 Scat pack with wheels, tune, and a few bolt ons. We left within a tenth of each other and were neck and neck the whole way down the track. He never missed a gear. I beat him by .04 second at the end of the track. When we pulled in the pits he couldn't believe it.

I'm sure the M6 is a lot of fun to drive, but if I were jumping up to a Hellcat, no doubt I'd get an A8. It puts the power to the ground so much better and more efficiently. You see guys in A8 cars running 10.80's stock with just drag radials, while the M6 guys are struggling to hit mid 11's in many cases.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,856 Posts
For day to day, if you prefer rowing your own, then 100% I agree get the 6 speed. It's more a "connection" to the car. Even a low HP car can be fun with a manual. It's all a matter of preference of course.

A Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I started with a 2012 RT Plus, manual transmission. I believed that a "Muscle Car" should be a manual. I loved it and drove the hell out of it as a daily driver in Indiana.

When it came time to upgrade, I of course decided to buy another Challenger. I bought a 2016 RT Plus SHAKER with an automatic transmission. No speed or power upgrade, but the newer auto trans was a huge upgrade. I am extremely happy I switched to the auto.

My next Challenger will also be an auto.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
So I started with a 2012 RT Plus, manual transmission. I believed that a "Muscle Car" should be a manual. I loved it and drove the hell out of it as a daily driver in Indiana.

When it came time to upgrade, I of course decided to buy another Challenger. I bought a 2016 RT Plus SHAKER with an automatic transmission. No speed or power upgrade, but the newer auto trans was a huge upgrade. I am extremely happy I switched to the auto.

My next Challenger will also be an auto.
I did the same. 2010 RT 6 speed. Daily driver for nearly 5 years and 70,000 miles. Very fun to drive! When the A8 came out and I heard how fast they were, I knew if I upgraded I'd get an automatic and did just that. No regrets here. Both fun transmissions. The M6 is more fun to drive as you're more connected, but the A8 is almost as fun and it's quite a bit quicker.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is usually the ZF owners who are hating on the M6...not the other way around. :wink3:
Not from what I've seen here, and I get it - honestly.
I've been quoted saying that I'd never own a car with a slush-box (traditional stall converter) again.

I'm looking for something that I can drive on the weekends and also HPDE/TT/Track Days, etc... and thinking about a 1Le Camaro, Shelby GT350, or SPWB.
The aforementioned I would ONLY get the Tremec 6MT, but now that I've learned about the ZF8, I'm not only ruling it out in an SRT mopar but enjoy the fact that my Ram 1500 eco diesel daily driver has one.

I'm just saying, I used to be one of you guys, then I learned how special this trans is.

To use a gun analogy, that I love, I like to think of the 6MT as akin to an old colt navy single-action revolver.
The traditional slush-box/stall converter auto is a Beretta double-action 9mm.
Then, with that, the ZF8 is a glock.

All off the strenghts of both, with none of thier drawbacks.

I fully expect to catch hell from my "car friends" if I show up for an Edge Addicts timed event at COTA in a SPWB with the ZF8, but that will just inidicate to me that they don't know what makes this trans special :)

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's a really personal decision. I went back the dealer several times over about a year. Drove the 5.7 and the 6.4. The 5.7 was a silver shaker with an M6 and the over the roof stripes. Beautiful looking car. But after the 6.4 there was just no going back.

Then I drove the A8 vs. the Mg with the 6.4. The A8 is a wonderful piece of technology, but it just wasn't the experience I was looking for. The A8 experience was like driving a Ferrari. Keep your foot in an blip the paddles through the gears. It was the visceral feeling of running the M6 through the gears that made me smile. Regarding the Hellcat...well I stretched the budget to get the SRT392, which was worth it for the hood, three levels of adjustability in the suspension, the nicer wheels and the big brembros. The other biggie was the sepia leather interior, which is gorgeous and is now not available under Hellcat level.

Drive them and measure the width of your smile. You will figure it out! To me the only downside of the M6 is riding the clutch in traffic, but others are right...you won't beat an A8 with an M6. Forget about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would love a Hellcat and might purchase one at some point. But considering I rarely ever get to go WOT with my 392 I'm not sure I see the payoff of having even more unused HP!! The speed limit never changes based on the HP under the hood but your cost of ownership certainly does!!

If I just didn't care - ok. But I do. So far the 392 is the pick for me. So far ….
My thoughts exactly.
The scat pack is so fast for the street anything more is pointless.

One of my best friends has one of the few SPWB's here in Austin, and I've driven it at least a dozen times.
Even with 305's on the hot Texas summer asphalt, traction is a problem.

I applaud anyone who buys a Hellcat, and glad they are a thing.
But the SPWB is lighter, handles better, and the damned thing gets 27mpg.

It's the ultimate daily-driver/GT performance muscle coupe.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My thoughts exactly.
And the SPWB is an EXCELLENT performer on the track, if you can believe it.
It hides it's weight very well.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I love my Scat Pack, but if I had more disposable income, I'd have a Hellcat in the garage no doubt. But that female and two little short people that reside with me tend to reduce my disposable income, so the Scat Pack will be with me for a long time. Fortunately I love them very much. :)

I agree on the comments about the transmissions too. I loved my old M6 in my R/T, but the A8 is just so much quicker. It's geared perfectly for these cars. Gets them up and off the line fast, then keeps the engine in the powerband the whole way, and top gear is so steep that it gets awesome mpgs when cruising around town or the freeway. Really hard to beat. Nothing replaces the connection of a manual trans though. It's just a matter of preference. Either way the car is a blast to drive.

These cars will run mid 11's with minor mods and get 25-26mpg on the freeway, all while being able to fit passengers in the back comfortably and having a huge usable trunk. I've raced mine at the track on one day and then the next day took my family up north for a trip over 400 miles. Can't beat these cars!

·
Registered
607 Posts
The scat pack is so fast for the street anything more is pointless.

But the SPWB is lighter, handles better, and the damned thing gets 27mpg.
I could potentially get 27 mpg with my Hellcat, but that would really be pointless.
If I drove sedately enough to get such mileage, then a Kia Soul would do the job.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
My original reply (back on page 2) spent some time vacationing with the moderators because I'm a new poster (many thanks to the mod who approved the post) :wink3:

I'll say again here, thanks to all who have replied!

To be fair to everyone who posted (and myself), I feel that if nothing else, I owe the ZF8 a test drive. I do like the stick, but I totally get that this particular auto is "that good". I'll keep an open mind about that.

More than that, I think I will (when the time is right) give a range of models a try (from an R/T SP, SRT up to the Hellcat).

I don't street race (or anything like that) and I totally get that a HC is too much for the road (my R/T is too much for the road if there's even one drop of rain falling) :) But really, it's all about the grin on my face (which I'm pretty sure every post in this thread can understand) :smile:

The gas mileage point is really just the cherry on top the cherry... I was prepared to live with 13-15mpg (or less) when I bought the car, but was pleasantly surprised when I was getting closer to 20 (19 if I had fun while going to work, 18 if I have fun on the way home). I actually have no expectation for the bigger engines, just curious what they're capable of when you're foots not buried in it.

All that said... I also loves trucks (my first truck was a '98 Dodge Ram)... I hear the rumors about this "TRX" lol.

Hopefully this post makes it!

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,188 Posts
AS for the A8 shifting, I find I use the paddle to downshift, or upshift early. But when playing, I like the console shifter in manual mode. It is like an old school manual valve body reverse pattern ratchet shifter in function. Opposite of every other car I have driven that uses front to back. Front is downshift, back is upshift, like a manual, like a reverse pattern. It takes a bit of muscle memory to unlearn from every other manualableautomatic I have driven in the past, but it is MUCH better in the long run.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So at work one day my 392 was parked in its usual spot and a guy with a Hellcat parks next to it. When I came out to go to lunch we happened to run into each other and started talking. Nice guy and we ended up taking each of our cars for a ride. I went in his Hellcat and I let him drive my 392. I will say this - the Hellcat was awesome and had a very guttural feeling to it - it was a ball. But I have to say, my 392 seemed to impress him more than the Hellcat impressed me. He couldn't believe how fast and powerful my car felt to him - he just couldn't believe it. As I said afterward, I think my 392 could give him a run for his money in that 0-100 range but after that - his supercharger really kicks in and that's where he gets me and starts to break loose and pull away. Fun to compare the two for sure. The 392 is no slouch.

21 - 40 of 79 Posts