Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed me LMI Hammer thanks to "Moder Muscle Performance". Build quality and looks are amazing. Throttle response seems better and my neighbor asked if I put new pipes on my car or did his hearing get better, and that's with running Flowmaster 40's already. Definitely a great mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice! Is the intake tube and filter sitting on something or is it just floating in position with a clamp?
It's just held there by the clamp, it's very sturdy. The whole thing only weighs about 3lbs.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From 1-10 how would you rate the sound increase over stock with stock being 1?
I'm going to give it a 5. As in my original post I think my neighbor said it best when he ask me if I changed my exhaust again. He was working in his yard, about 90 feet from the road, and could tell the car was louder. I would have been going about 25MPR. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm going to give it a 5. As in my original post I think my neighbor said it best when he ask me if I changed my exhaust again. He was working in his yard, about 90 feet from the road, and could tell the car was louder. I would have been going about 25MPR. Hope this helps.
Ok that's respectable. As much as they rave about the LMI Hammer on Lxforums I expected it to be more of a 7. Some makes it seem as if it sounds like a mini supercharger.

·
Registered
52 Posts
why hammer and not the frankentake iv? i ask this with the respect to my own agony. no one seems to be able to answer... if its just the looks of it to you i can truly respect that as well. I am about to install a flowmaster super 10 muffler (resonators delete) and i am debating between LMi hammer and frankentake 3 or 4.
I am know that the gain is the same (if any) i am looking for a louder one :D

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
why hammer and not the frankentake iv? i ask this with the respect to my own agony. no one seems to be able to answer... if its just the looks of it to you i can truly respect that as well. I am about to install a flowmaster super 10 muffler (resonators delete) and i am debating between LMi hammer and frankentake 3 or 4.
Good question and I went back and forth myself. I liked the "hammer" because of the one piece carbon fiber design, no mounting holes drilled into my fender, this was needed with the Frankentake 4, and the positive feedback on the other forums. My car was already loud with my 40's, but it is louder after the install.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All I ask is that after you order your CAI you have a "Portillo's" beef for me.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does the LMI Hammer have padding or some sort of protection to keep it from rubbing or getting scratched by something in the engine compartment? After all it is just floating right?
No need for anything, as long as it's secured to the throttle body it's not moving. The whole thing weighs about 3lbs.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
From a performance perspective, the LXForum Mods Face off tested both intakes out. The AirHammer vs the Frankentake III, the Hammer has better flow.

The Frankentake IV (very similar to the BWoody Velocity) was redesigned to angle the filter down because they found that a lot of heat stored just under the top of the hood (caused by the coolant reservoir) and the new design pulled cooler air from the fender through the top of the new S&B cone filter. You can angle the AirHammer down too.

Frankentake IV Build Instructions

The key behind AirHammer's success was with the newly designed S&B 9" filter that the Frankentake III didn't use. It featured a reversed cone top that had a filter, as seen in the image below. Frankentake IV now uses the new S&B filter. It is also the same air filter design as the AFE Stage II that also did so well in flow as seen above. Both are good designs but the AirHammer has a cleaner appearance to it.

Based on our latest testing with the IAT sensor getting heatsoaked in the stock location, I see the AirHammer suffering a bit after a few 1/4mi runs. This is based on the 20 lbs/ft Loss thread (reference below). You can get it shipped with the sensor location moved down the tube and this will help a lot. The mitigation is to move the sensor away from the engine block (similar to the 392 design) and also utilize the new 392 IAT sensor to reduce the effects of false IAT sensor readings.

For daily driving, you might look at the Rotofab as it comes with an airbox to shroud the filter. Your horsepower and torque numbers will drop slightly 2-3, however, you also reduce the effects of sucking in underhood heat when idle and driving in stop & go. You also gain the benefit of protecting your air filter and improving the air quality that it is sucking in. Then, for maximum track performance, you can remove the airbox and have a design very similar (notice it's the S&B filter) to the AirHammer and Frankentake IV.

References:
Carbon Fiber AirHammer
AirHammer Intake
Frankentake III
RotoFab Intake
20 lbs/ft Heatsoak

·
Banned
5,768 Posts
The key behind AirHammer's success was with the newly designed S&B 9" filter that the Frankentake III didn't use. It featured a reversed cone top that had a filter, as seen in the image below. Frankentake IV now uses the new S&B filter. It is also the same air filter design as the AFE Stage II that also did so well in flow as seen above. Both are good designs but the AirHammer has a cleaner appearance to it.

Based on our latest testing with the IAT sensor getting heatsoaked in the stock location, I see the AirHammer suffering a bit after a few 1/4mi runs. This is based on the 20 lbs/ft Loss thread (reference below). You can get it shipped with the sensor location moved down the tube and this will help a lot. The mitigation is to move the sensor away from the engine block (similar to the 392 design) and also utilize the new 392 IAT sensor to reduce the effects of false IAT sensor readings.
is there a vendor on here that sells those or are those sold via "member onty" !?!?

i had an airhammer on my SRT8300C, but it was used and my buddy got through a guy on LXForums.

any ideas !?!?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts

To further the subject, granted it's been a month,

The Hammer performed very well on both R/T and SRT applications. A 9 rwhp / 8 rwtq improvement on both applications.

So, the kicker, here comes with the Frankentake IV design.

The only recorded testing of it was done on a 390 stroker engine. The intake prior to the Frankentake IV was the AirHammer. The result of putting on the Frankentake IV was a 7 rwhp / 10 rwtq gain on top of the AirHammer, across the board.

This does not mean that on a stock application we would add 9 + 7 and 8 + 10 = 16 rwhp / 18 rwtq to get the #'s of the Frankentake IV.

What we can conclude, however, is, on a 390 stroker application that requires a significant amount of more air, the Frankentake IV is flowing much better or is receiving cooler air than, the AirHammer design. The AirHammer design on stock applications produced the most gains than any other short ram intake. The only other designs to show more on stock applications was the RDP 3.5" long tube true Cold Air Intake (12 rwhp / 5 rwtq). Although not tested, the 4" LegMaker would be right along, if not better than the RDP.

Now this is not saying you'll see this same gain on the 6.1L or 5.7L, but it is saying a lot that angling down the filter toward the fender air hole, did produce a gain compared to the straight design of the AirHammer.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts