Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am finding I could buy the used '09 loaded or a base '10 brand new for about the same $$$$. Questions are:
  1. Any significant reliability/performance differences in the years?
  2. What is the reliability of both year models?
  3. Does the better gauge package come on the R/T regardless of options?
  4. Is there no oil pressure or engine temp specific readout (I know there's no gauge) or is it just idiot lights regardless?
  5. Have read about a few issues with the 6M, (which I prefer), how prevalent are they, and is the auto that much a better choice? I really like shifting.
I'm sure there's other questions; I've used the search function already, which is a really nice feature on this forum that you can use even if you haven't joined. Anyhow, anxious to hear the feedback, and yes I have already tried searching on the gauge question, but could not find the answer.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
how much more is a new 2010 srt? is this out of your price range?

id always rather have new than used...its a luxury, but its a luxury in life i always want

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I drive my 6 speed aggressively and have had no issues. You'll want to install the skip-shift though. Costs $20 or so and not hard to install.

As for the 09 used vs 10 new I would consider the difference in warranties. You may not have a warranty at all with the 09, or a limited warranty since your not the original purchaser where the 10 should have a 100,000 driveline warranty. Either way I would explore the difference in warranties.

There are a lot of deals out there on loaded 10 R/T's that would sway me over to the new 10 off a lot for a deep discount. I was looking at the completed auctions on Ebay this morning and there were several R/T's with "buy it now" prices in the low 30's that ended with zero bids.

For example, this B5 R/T ended with a high bid of $25K and a Buy It price of $31K with no takers. I know of two dealerships with $45K MSRP SRT-8's that now want less than $36K so I'm going to guess you can get a whopper of a deal on a new warrantied 2010 R/T right now.

Either way, you will really enjoy the car!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drive my 6 speed aggressively and have had no issues. You'll want to install the skip-shift though. Costs $20 or so and not hard to install.

As for the 09 used vs 10 new I would consider the difference in warranties. You may not have a warranty at all with the 09, or a limited warranty since your not the original purchaser where the 10 should have a 100,000 driveline warranty. Either way I would explore the difference in warranties.

There are a lot of deals out there on loaded 10 R/T's that would sway me over to the new 10 off a lot for a deep discount. I was looking at the completed auctions on Ebay this morning and there were several R/T's with "buy it now" prices in the low 30's that ended with zero bids.

For example,
this B5 R/T ended with a high bid of $25K and a Buy It price of $31K with no takers. I know of two dealerships with $45K MSRP SRT-8's that now want less than $36K so I'm going to guess you can get a whopper of a deal on a new warrantied 2010 R/T right now.

Either way, you will really enjoy the car!
I've actually found a couple new 2010 R/T's for $27-$28K. That's about the range I'm looking at for what will mainly be an ice cream getter. These dealers are in the snow belt though. I'm in VA. Bought a new GTO a few years back in January; dealer was in upstate NY and had the car driven halfway down to meet me in Carlisle PA, so I shop a pretty wide radius.

Probably won't make the purchase until after year's end; it saves me a year on personal property taxes.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much more is a new 2010 srt? is this out of your price range?

id always rather have new than used...its a luxury, but its a luxury in life i always want
I agree with you in principle; I just really like those leather, heated seats! Never had them until my wife got a Lexus, my God those things are wonderful in the winter. (I'm not a fan of winter at all)

As far as the budget, it's around $25-$28K tops. Not gonna get a SRT for that.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would lean toward the base 2010 R/T for warranty reasons more than anything. I'm happy with mine. I guess you don't know what you're missing when you haven't had it. I'm sure the luxury items are nice.

What is the mileage on the used 2009 and how was it driven? Was it well maintained?

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would lean toward the base 2010 R/T for warranty reasons more than anything. I'm happy with mine. I guess you don't know what you're missing when you haven't had it. I'm sure the luxury items are nice.

What is the mileage on the used 2009 and how was it driven? Was it well maintained?
There's quite a few of the '09's I've called about. Mileage is usually fairly low, below 12K miles. It comes down to time left, usually there's less than 15 months left on the bumper to bumper.

·
Banned
311 Posts
2008 srt. The rt has a good engine as long as it's in a truck it's really not getting any faster 370hp for a 4000 pounder? Get the used srt

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I've actually found a couple new 2010 R/T's for $27-$28K...
I believe it. I was looking at closed E-bay auctions and saw a new 2010 Auto listed for $28K and change as a buy it now price and there were zero bids. When I bought mine in February this year I had a hard time finding a dealer that didn't want a $10K over sticker markup.

No question its a buyers market! Good luck with whatever you choose, you will like it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2008 srt. The rt has a good engine as long as it's in a truck it's really not getting any faster 370hp for a 4000 pounder? Get the used srt
SRT is not an option; have not seen any SRT's in that price range. What does the truck comment mean? 370 HP is not far from 400 HP. I had that in my '05 Goat and it ran like a scalded dog. I'm too old for street racing anyhow, just like the styling on the Challenger (especially exterior) as well as the new Camaro's.

Thanks for the input, tho.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I always go new unless I know the person who owned the car and he treated it well and the price is right. You never know how someone treated their car and the warranty is definitely worth something too. Also, if applicable, financing rates will be much lower on a new car than a used one. Some of the whistles and bells are nice to have, but they can be added later if you really want them. I've seen new 2010 base R/Ts in the mid twenties and prices may go even lower.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
I know you mentioned R/T, no SRT, but Hemiwoman has a black 09 15000 mile SRT for 31,000 with every option listed in the classifieds.

No matter what, you will want to drive both to get a real understanding of the difference in the R/T v SRT.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I know you mentioned R/T, no SRT, but Hemiwoman has a black 09 15000 mile SRT for 31,000 with every option listed in the classifieds.

No matter what, you will want to drive both to get a real understanding of the difference in the R/T v SRT.

Good luck.

I do believe their Black 09 SRT8 has 21,000 miles on it.

I also worry about people who have to post on a car forum to ask "what to purchase" Funny Sh$t

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I do believe their Black 09 SRT8 has 21,000 miles on it.

I also worry about people who have to post on a car forum to ask "what to purchase" Funny Sh$t

Yes my 09 SRT has 21,000 miles on it. We enjoy driving it.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Oops, my bad, thanks for correcting me.

·
Banned
311 Posts
Hemiwoman your goinna keep the SE and sell the beast? 21000 miles and you want 31k ? I think 23-24 sounds a little more reasonable in the market right now. God knows what it went through those 21k

1 - 19 of 19 Posts