Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just cant win with this car.... Just died on the freeway today. No warning at all. I swear a new ford raptor is looking better and better.

Atleast they gave me a nice chevrolet truck and not a gay kia. But this is getting old. I mean I have 1700 miles on the thing. I bought it with less than a 100 miles in october. When does it end???

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Raptors are sexy, but that's only if you want a truck vs a muscle car, if you off-road a lot compared to street drive, go for it, sucks that your Challenger is having so many issues.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea thats what im worried about. Probably a Monday build by a hung over drunky lol. Im giving it one more shot. If I have any more issues I will talk to a lemon law lawyer. As the dealer fixes the problem usually in a couple days, and the problem doesn't come back. But 4 separate problems in less than 2k miles doesn't bode well for the future.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Raptors are sexy, but that's only if you want a truck vs a muscle car, if you off-road a lot compared to street drive, go for it, sucks that your Challenger is having so many issues.
Well I dont like any of the other muscle cars on the market. Would just go back to a truck. Had one since I could drive. I sadly did some math tonight and found If I traded both this and my yukon in I could get a loaded raptor with the new 6.2 liter engine and have no car payment, right now my challenger car payment is 433 for a 48 month loan. Wouldn't need two cars as I could drive that daily and not worry about keeping it nice. It comes with custom painted scratches lol. Only having one car to take care of, and being paid for. Almost a win win. almost as I loose the muscle car, the car that I have had plastered on my garage wall since 2006 when the concept came out. Like I said. Its got one more chance. But would be very sad to see it go.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea its a sweet truck. But whats hard to stomach is a 7000 dollar loss on the challenger. Even though it works out in the end. I just look and see 7000 dollars I threw away making this trade. Thats hard to swallow. To make up for the loss Im trading in the yukon as well. But its still a huge loss. Hopefully everything stays working for a while.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your SRT woes. I've got about 900 miles on my five-month old R/T and have had no problems.

A 2011 base Raptor is next on my weekend toy list, but I wouldn't want to drive one every day unless I was in a pretty rural area.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Had my 10 R/T for 8 months an 3700 miles. Broke it easy, never reved it above 4200 for 3k, then turned it loose. Runs strong with no problems. Rear diff whines a bit wiith the 3.92 gears but not enough to worry about.

Have heard about this engine dying problem before, been several threads about it.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your SRT woes. I've got about 900 miles on my five-month old R/T and have had no problems.

A 2011 base Raptor is next on my weekend toy list, but I wouldn't want to drive one every day unless I was in a pretty rural area.
Exactly. I had the 07 TRD FJ Cruiser which I threw a lift on, and put a good bit of money into...then asked why? I live in a city...hardly ever get to off-road..it was my main car...so I can't do serious off roading it as if I damage it, way more money than say using buying a old jeep, and it's also a NEW car, I dunno..wasn't right, which is why I got the Challenger, the FJ was great, but I never got to off-road with it which is what it's purpose was, the Raptor is a BAJA designed truck (FOX suspension I believe), in reality it's only "cool" factor is it's a "Baja Truck" but who is going to ever remotely use it for that purpose? Maybe 1 out of 10 people that buy it.

Personally, as a daily driver with a mix of off-roading, King Ranch stomps all over it, beauuuutiful truck, been looking at prices for my Father who wants to trade in the FJ for it, and wow it is a incredible truck, I'm amazed FORD built it, the interior is stunning, and the features are out the wazooo, as a "weekend off-roader" if you have the spare $ to use the Raptor in those situations (instead of buying an old bronco and not caring if you slide into a tree or something when off-roading) it'd be a great truck, I'd just be pissed every time I got a pin stripe\knick\scratch from trees\rocks the trail...

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly. I had the 07 TRD FJ Cruiser which I threw a lift on, and put a good bit of money into...then asked why? I live in a city...hardly ever get to off-road..it was my main car...so I can't do serious off roading it as if I damage it, way more money than say using buying a old jeep, and it's also a NEW car, I dunno..wasn't right, which is why I got the Challenger, the FJ was great, but I never got to off-road with it which is what it's purpose was, the Raptor is a BAJA designed truck (FOX suspension I believe), in reality it's only "cool" factor is it's a "Baja Truck" but who is going to ever remotely use it for that purpose? Maybe 1 out of 10 people that buy it.

Personally, as a daily driver with a mix of off-roading, King Ranch stomps all over it, beauuuutiful truck, been looking at prices for my Father who wants to trade in the FJ for it, and wow it is a incredible truck, I'm amazed FORD built it, the interior is stunning, and the features are out the wazooo, as a "weekend off-roader" if you have the spare $ to use the Raptor in those situations (instead of buying an old bronco and not caring if you slide into a tree or something when off-roading) it'd be a great truck, I'd just be pissed every time I got a pin stripe\knick\scratch from trees\rocks the trail...
The same could be said about owning a challenger. Why have 370+ hp race car when you drive it to work every day? I have one because I like to be different. Stand out from the normal a to b type crowd. Im a rebel, I dont follow rules or blend in real well.

I had a lifted silverado before this that I put 50 miles a day on for almost 3 years. im used to an offroad ready truck as a daily driver, The challenger compared to that old beat up truck is like moving up from a toyota to a rolls royce. The raptor would be like going back to an old friend. I dont offroad often. But I do enough to want 4x4. My yukon does ok offroad. But I dont want to void its warranty by modding it to much. Having the capability of a raptor from the factory is pretty sweet. Although I didnt realize the power wagon was back on the market. I would love to stick with mopar, the power wagon from 05 was a beast, the new one is probably even better. Wish I could afford both. But I love my challenger, and am willing to give it one more shot before I start to think seriously. Right now im just ranting.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see you got it back what was wrong with it?
Yea got it back tuesday. They said it was a short in the ECM. They put a new one in, did a crank relearn, and it was all good to go. What happened is it just shut down, but I still had full electronic control. Not like I had pushed the button, so I pulled over, and it acted like I didnt have my foot on the clutch. Push the button. would say "ignition" on the dash, but wouldnt turn over. All in all, super happy to have it back.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glad you got it back. I seen it was out playing in the snow so that's why I was asking. Good luck aand hope it don't ever have to go back again.
Rick
Im at the point where I would miss it to much if I ever traded it in. As long as Chrysler foots all my bills Im cool with it.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Interesting ECM issue. My coworker recently had a nightmare with a 3 year old Jeep liberty (no problems until 3 months ago) and a good 60 days of it mostly being in the shop. He would suddenly get weird electrical issues, no lights, all lights, stop running, heat no heat, servos that would keep running long after the jeep was off, etc. After 3 ECM's changed out (all of which would pass the computer test in shop) everything is fine.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts