Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scam? On the level?

I called and they said they were desperate for inventory. 135 percent of my kbb puts the value at 43k.

I can't see any dealer offering that much for a 15k mileage 19 T/A. (5.7)

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
967 Posts
If they are willing to pay that, how much can they sell it for and make money?

There is no reason for them to pay you the same as market value. There is no profit left.

It's most likely some scam to get you in the door.

·
Registered
241 Posts
If they are willing to pay that, how much can they sell it for and make money?

There is no reason for them to pay you the same as market value. There is no profit left.

It's most likely some scam to get you in the door.
There is much more profit in used cars than you think... They make a ton of money through financing kick backs and warranty kick backs.

Plus... Demand is so high right now due to supply/ production being so low.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
And which KBB value?
There seems to be bunch of 'em.
The little known "Black Book" is the ONLY one that matters.. and it changes so frequently, you have to look just before you do anything to get the most accurate market conditions. (Little known secret, Blue book is fool's play)

·
Premium Member
4,425 Posts
Tell the guy to email you the offer, which means you now have it in writing. THEN you gotta worry about finding a replacement. Look into @stevewhite Motors. they will deliver most cars for free.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The little known "Black Book" is the ONLY one that matters.. and it changes so frequently, you have to look just before you do anything to get the most accurate market conditions. (Little known secret, Blue book is fool's play)
I was referring to online, but I've had bankers show me and still it was 3 or more.
I guess my point is, unless they say 4/21 'trade in value' 'great cond. or better' or such, it doesn't mean much.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you browse your local car lots, you'll find that 2 and 3 yr. old cars are listed at or above new. At least they are here. It's absurd!

·
Premium Member
1,715 Posts
There is an official KBB website. They would use that with no BS. If it's for real (which I am dubious of) it could be time to trade up. There is nothing wrong with being an opportunist as long as "caveat emptor" is the order of the day.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Built in the Canada Plant
1,383 Posts
Since many vehicles are shorter production since Covid its driven up the market price on older models because of the demand they cant fill production wise. So yes they are on the move not just the Challengers many Brand and Models are going through the roof now. The Caution one has to take is with that how easy is it to honestly come out ahead to trade up with all of them Going up in Price ???

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I came across this the other day. Yes, used prices are absurd right now. 55k for a 2017 392. Yes, you read that right. Yeah I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive, but even by our standards that is ridiculous. I would never pay that.
Screenshot_20210424-200856_Facebook.jpg

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
I came across this the other day. Yes, used prices are absurd right now. 55k for a 2017 392. Yes, you read that right. Yeah I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive, but even by our standards that is ridiculous. I would never pay that.
Hmmmmmm I paid $55,000 US for my fully loaded 2020 Scat Pack w/shaker, it only has 940 miles on it. Just wondering what it’s worth now?

·
Premium Member
2018 Dodge Challenger T/A Plus in Yellow Jacket w/5.7L and A8 automatic
1,908 Posts
Scam? On the level?

I called and they said they were desperate for inventory. 135 percent of my kbb puts the value at 43k.

I can't see any dealer offering that much for a 15k mileage 19 T/A. (5.7)
Local dealer——where?

Reactions: Medsport

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yup there's a bubble on used cars atm due to covid so low inventory some manufacturing plants are still not building cars now due to a chip shortage. heard its going to get worse by summer then pop after so if you can lose the car and wait patiently do it. For instance I bought a late model used car last may (not my chally) put 5 k miles on it and they want to buy it back for the same amount that I paid for it. I might do it got to drive a car all year and only pay 2500 in taxes win win

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
208 Posts
I thought there was supposed to be a shortage of new cars, why else would dealers be buying used vehicles at such high prices. Today, my brother-in-law informed me that he bought a brand new Audi S4. He said the Audi dealership said they'd buy his 3 year Audi from him for a really good price. It's in perfect condition and is still under warranty. So he took it in to see what they'd give him for his Audi A6 and he claims they gave him a good price on it, he then walked into the lot and bought brand new one that he claims he got a 'real' good deal on as well. Now that makes no sense to me at all. Why would the dealer give him a real good trade-in value on his used car and then immediately give him a good deal on a new one? Something doesn't smell right. He always trades in his vehicles before the warranty is out and tires are used up and he worked for the UAW for a long, long time so he should know what a 'good-deal' is on both ends. This just doesn't sound right. He's excited about the car so I'd didn't want to give him the 3rd degree and say WTF?

A few years back another brother-in-law was so proud to tell me what a good deal he got on his brand new pickup truck. He said he told the salesman, "I don't care what you give me for my trade in because I'm not paying any more than x dollars for the new truck. I'll bet that salesman couldn't say "yes sir" fast enough.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Tell the guy to email you the offer, which means you now have it in writing. THEN you gotta worry about finding a replacement. Look into @stevewhite Motors. they will deliver most cars for free.
They aren’t going to give you that price just on your car. It will be the trade in value towards the new car that they are going to rip you off on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts