Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I thought there was supposed to be a shortage of new cars, why else would dealers be buying used vehicles at such high prices. Today, my brother-in-law informed me that he bought a brand new Audi S4. He said the Audi dealership said they'd buy his 3 year Audi from him for a really good price. It's in perfect condition and is still under warranty. So he took it in to see what they'd give him for his Audi A6 and he claims they gave him a good price on it, he then walked into the lot and bought brand new one that he claims he got a 'real' good deal on as well. Now that makes no sense to me at all. Why would the dealer give him a real good trade-in value on his used car and then immediately give him a good deal on a new one? Something doesn't smell right. He always trades in his vehicles before the warranty is out and tires are used up and he worked for the UAW for a long, long time so he should know what a 'good-deal' is on both ends. This just doesn't sound right. He's excited about the car so I'd didn't want to give him the 3rd degree and say WTF?

A few years back another brother-in-law was so proud to tell me what a good deal he got on his brand new pickup truck. He said he told the salesman, "I don't care what you give me for my trade in because I'm not paying any more than x dollars for the new truck. I'll bet that salesman couldn't say "yes sir" fast enough.
People can convince themselves of anything if they want something bad enough.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,313 Posts
sorry OP, no way on 135% KBB.
Its a ruse to get you in the dealership.
We priced out our low mile, fully loaded hellcat widebody this week, both local and outside the state, well known dealerships. Best offer thus far has been high-middle of KBB trade-in value. All were within $5-6k of one another.
Watching the market past few weeks, this seems to be right where most legit offers are landing.
Note to anyone thinking of taking advantage of the current shortage and selling, dont take or even respond to the 1st offer from any dealership...most every time, they will come back with a better one if they really want it, if you wait to reply.
I got two offers within 3hrs from the same dealership, the 2nd one was $3500 more than the 1st. Local dealers always offered more $.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah, I spent an hour or so yesterday, figuring why not. Their offer was not even close to 135%. Offered me 32K, which isn't bad. Manager said he could buy my particular vehicle at auction or another dealer for 32K and I should be happy with it. I laughed and said, then go ahead. 5.7 T/As with low mileage are running 36K+ (even saw one running 41K).

They want 39K for a R/T shaker, prices way too high imo.

Thanked the salesman, who was nice and left.

@Brockman: Dealer is Diehl, in Grove City, PA

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Hmmmmmm I paid $55,000 US for my fully loaded 2020 Scat Pack w/shaker, it only has 940 miles on it. Just wondering what it’s worth now?
100K.....In Canada.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just saw a spot on the local cable last night in which a lady went to a dealership to buy a used car and the sales guy (who apparently she knows well and trusts) advised her not to buy a used right now because of the inflated prices and talked her into leasing a new one instead.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,715 Posts
I just saw a spot on the local cable last night in which a lady went to a dealership to buy a used car and the sales guy (who apparently she knows well and trusts) advised her not to buy a used right now because of the inflated prices and talked her into leasing a new one instead.
Remember everything a car sales tells you is intended to get you to buy (or lease) a car as soon as possible and to pay as much for the car (purchase price or lease price) as possible.

More than likely the lady just ended up leasing a new car at an elevated price/no incentives. The shortage of cars extends to new cars and factory and dealer incentives have pretty much gone away.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Good salesman. Manager will approve. Not so good of a person though. IMO.

·
Premium Member
567 Posts
KBB is a joke - It may be good for a rough idea of what is out there and available, but it is by far NOT anything a deal would use to assess their vehicle, or yours.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,642 Posts
KBB is a joke - It may be good for a rough idea of what is out there and available, but it is by far NOT anything a deal would use to assess their vehicle, or yours.
I use things like that to compare cars, if KBB says one car is worth $35K and another say older car with more miles is worth $28K I have an idea where to look.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,715 Posts
When I traded in my 2006 GTO the Porsche dealer gave me KBB trade in value for my car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Yeah, its a good rough estimate. The last couple times I traded in it was within a grand or so if I remember correctly. It kind of depends how bad they want to sell their new car.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I will say this, deception is a botch. There is no vehicle shortage. Look at the used car lots, they are loaded, and I still see inventory that don't move.

When used car lots go out of business, because they got nothing to sell, then I will believe it.

Ok, maybe a shortage of factory new cars, for those who want a new car. If we look a cars as transportation items, there is no shortage. Deception creates demand, and drive up prices. That's good for business, when IMO, is not the truth. There is no shortage of cars.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,074 Posts
Car rental companies that sold a lot of cars when demand for rentals was low, are now buying used cars as they can't get their fleet replacements. Car rental prices in big tourist areas are sky high. People have resorted to renting U-Hall trucks instead of rental cars

A Guy

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Car rental companies that sold a lot of cars when demand for rentals was low, are now buying used cars as they can't get their fleet replacements. Car rental prices in big tourist areas are sky high. People have resorted to renting U-Hall trucks instead of rental cars

A Guy
I did the same thing after 9/11. No rental cars but was able to score a U-Haul.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Good salesman. Manager will approve. Not so good of a person though. IMO.
100%. The dealership giving you buying advice is like asking a pizza maker for heart health advise. Dealerships love having people who lease. It keeps the on the hamster wheel for life.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just got a written offer for $43k for my 20 base scat a8 w/ 3k miles. Sticker was $42k and change and paid $36k after rebates.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Just got a written offer for $43k for my 20 base scat a8 w/ 3k miles. Sticker was $42k and change and paid $36k after rebates.
So you can pick up a quick 7K over what you paid for it. Not bad. New Challenger or a cruise? :p

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
209 Posts
Read the fine print.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,313 Posts
I will say this, deception is a botch. There is no vehicle shortage. Look at the used car lots, they are loaded, and I still see inventory that don't move.

When used car lots go out of business, because they got nothing to sell, then I will believe it.

Ok, maybe a shortage of factory new cars, for those who want a new car. If we look a cars as transportation items, there is no shortage. Deception creates demand, and drive up prices. That's good for business, when IMO, is not the truth. There is no shortage of cars.
Going to have to respectfully disagree.
Perhaps in your area, things appear normal, IDK.
In mine, many large dealers car lots, look like empty ghost towns. The local ford dealer I drive by daily (seen from the freeway), normally floats several hundred cars on the front lot at any given time, now literally has maybe 10-12 cars spatterd about, mostly used mixed. Nothing high end, the only mustang they have is a black V6 jobber, which has been relocated to prime time showroom duty....

We just sold off our 18 HCWB.
The wifes Scattypack to follow this weekend. We'll be mopar-less for the 1st time in a decade. :(
We got a tad more than the original price on the cat, as the value jumped near $10k in less than 2 weeks!!
Offers poured in once I submitted for KBB pricing (thats another story...).
We went with not just the highest offer but our prefered 1st tier dodge dealership, the largest in the area.
We dealt with the dealerships 3rd man down from the top/ownership.
This man, a top managerial member of a dealership that pushes out some $12.5 million dollars worth of cars a year, left his plush office and his assisants, to hunt for inventory, in person. So, I'd say he is in a position to know a thing or two about the current car market.

As stated directly from him: all he does past few weeks is bounce around our nearest 3 county area, buying up anything SRT, RAM or low mile/original jeep. His tasking is "buy everything within that criteria that you can for whatever price he can" new invventory isnt arriving, without new vehicles coming in, niether are trades, which make up their used vehicle selection.
He said, its the only way they even have cars to put out on the lot, is for him to go hunt them.
He hired 3 people, to do nothing but shuttle his purchases back to the dealership so he can focus on just finding & buying. His offer for our hellcat was some $5k more than any of the others, including Vroom, which has been rumored to offer the best price going. He came to us and the whole process was over in like 20 mins. Its a different world, from even a year or 2 ago.

My summation: if you are seeing dealerships with even normal levels of inventory, its because they are paying bigger $$ & literally scrabbling to obtain inventory from anywhere they can. (or they are holding high on existing inventory)
Smaller 2nd tier dealerships, are suffering and many may well fail if this continues much past end of summer.
3rd tiers will be fine, there is (for now) plenty of auction cars/mechanic specials in the pipe line, when/if that dries up, so will will they in very short order, as they, simply by their nature, do not have the capitol to rise above the water line.

Finally: If you are considering selling a muscle car (challenger), do it now/soon.
Do NOT accept the 1st offer that comes in. In fact, wait a few days on any offer, I assure you, if its a desireable or more limited model, better offers will arrive shortly.
This neg inventory market will cap out, level off, or spin down, for several reasons, but especially nearing end of summer would be my educated guess.
If you are consider selling a jeep or truck, hold just a wee a bit longer, that market hasnt fully realized yet, but its on the move at a rapid rate.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts