Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some of you list a lockabale gas cap on your features.
I have problems near my work with people stealing gas out of older cars.
I dont think alot of people realize that the challengers dont have a locking gas cap. I dont want to get my gas siphoned...
A little help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :) Who, where, how can I modify to a locking gas cap?

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Only problem with locking gas caps is that they dont work. I can get into a locking gas cap in 2 seconds. Ive had to do it for a bunch of customers that lost the key. I went to the car and opend the cap in front of them and they could not believe how easy it is to get into it. Gotta love the flathead screwdriver.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have seen some of you list a lockabale gas cap on your features.
I have problems near my work with people stealing gas out of older cars.
I dont think alot of people realize that the challengers dont have a locking gas cap. I dont want to get my gas siphoned...
A little help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated :) Who, where, how can I modify to a locking gas cap?
I got mine comp'd from the dealership as part of my purchase, it's an official MOPAR part and somewhere around $20 I believe.

Of course you could probably find an aftermarket one that is either cheaper or better, depending on what you want to spend.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My opinion on it is that it is better than nothing. I also like the fact that I can remove it completely instead of having it dangle on the fuel filler door hook which can possibly cause scratches if it bumps the car. I think it serves its purpose as being a deterrent.

·
Super Moderator
14,139 Posts
I installed a Stant locking gas cap on my SRT. It worked okay for about a year, but it caused the PCM to throw a code due to a "leaking" cap. As soon as I reinstalled the OEM cap, the code went away

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Right after I got my car I bought the Mopar locking gas cap. It is a pain but I don't want anyone either taking gas out of my car OR.... pouring something down into the tank as a joke.

Granted, as one poster said he can get into it without the key... but the way I look at it it will stop 90% of the teenagers just messin around.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I have the Stant one and it still seems to be working after a year.

I have the exact same model on another Chrysler vehicle and I often can open it without the key.

I think having one is better than nothing. A crook no doubt can break into one, but might choose another vehicle without one. It might deter, so IMO its better than nothing.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agreed these things wont stop a determined thief or someone who plans ahead, but also agreed that they will detour your avg punk who may just try to pull something on a whim while passing by.

I tend to make sure when closing it after a fill-up that it makes the click-click-click spin when trying to re-open without a key. I think they can sometimes get stuck in the 'unlocked' position so I always doublecheck when reattaching it.

On a related note, I was actually a bit surprised the Challenger gasdoor itself does not have an internal locking mechanism like almost every decent car has these days.

·
Registered
319 Posts
On a related note, I was actually a bit surprised the Challenger gasdoor itself does not have an internal locking mechanism like almost every decent car has these days.
/signed

The first time I put gas in my wife's 300C, it took me about 10 minutes to realize there was no remote unlock for it and I just had to push on the gas door itself.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Maybe they don't want us opening the trunk by mistake.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Agreed these things wont stop a determined thief or someone who plans ahead, but also agreed that they will detour your avg punk who may just try to pull something on a whim while passing by.

I tend to make sure when closing it after a fill-up that it makes the click-click-click spin when trying to re-open without a key. I think they can sometimes get stuck in the 'unlocked' position so I always doublecheck when reattaching it.

YES.. Me too.. All Japanese vehicle has the inside gas door release... GM, Ford and Chrysler for the most part don't. They used to... I am guessing it was a victim of cost cutting. I see that some are coming back for 2011 with it again though.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
We were part of Mercedes at one time. Since a lot of their stuff is in our cars you would think they would do the gas door the same. My sister's Mercedes you have to open the driver's door before the gas door opens up... they should have installed that locking mechanism.

·
Registered
181 Posts
YES.. Me too.. All Japanese vehicle has the inside gas door release... GM, Ford and Chrysler for the most part don't. They used to... I am guessing it was a victim of cost cutting. I see that some are coming back for 2011 with it again though.
Interestingly enough, both GM cars I've recently owned ('98 Olds Intrigue and 2001 Caddy SLS) both have the pushbutton release / internal locking for the gascap covers - another reason I was surprised my 2010 Challenger lacked one.

Do most of the newer model years lack them? Given the reported rash of gas thefts during the last price hike, I'm surprised newer vehicles arent designed even MORE secure.

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
Chrysler USED to have them. My 98 Neon had it and our minivan did too. I am sure it was a cost cutting item.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Not sure if not having a locking cap is a result of cost cutting or more so the result of wanting the "retro" look.

I was surprised it didn't lock either, but my car is garaged at night. I'm not too worried about something bad happening during the day.

If I had to park on the street, or even leave it outside in my driveway at night, I would go with the locking cap. Let's face it, sooner or later, in those circumstances something bad will happen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts