Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who has added a locking gas cap to their Challenger, and why? What part number did you use? Thanks

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the info!

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Just put this one on mine works as expected. The why? Dodge gave me a $500 voucher for Mopar parts.

Mopar Locking Gas Cap 05-14 Challenger, Charger, 300, Magnum, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Its definately on my check list.

Last time I checked with my Dodge dealer there was no listing for a 2014 Challenger locking cap. I went to a local parts store and checked the 2013 application cap against my 2014 cap and there was a difference.

Has this application 2005-14 been confirmed???

:guiness:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Who has added a locking gas cap to their Challenger, and why? What part number did you use? Thanks
I used the mopar one that was already posted. I did it because i didnt want to give somebody the opportunity to put something into my gas tank. Yeah it would probably never happen, but it was only a few bucks for the piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
14,926 Posts
A Stant locking gas cap can be purchased from any auto parts store. It works just as well, or better than the MOPAR one. Costs less, too.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Stant locking gas cap can be purchased from any auto parts store. It works just as well, or better than the MOPAR one. Costs less, too.
Do you have a Stant part number? Thanks in advance. Advance Auto? LOL

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went with the Stant, and I was able to use the factory tether by drilling a 1/4" hole in the cap. Works perfect!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No no no no. Drilling a hole in a gas cap let's the gases flow out as vapor anywhere near a fire and boom. Explosion .
Wrong wrong wrong wrong. How do you think the key goes through the cap??? The seal is below the top of the cap.

I've had it on for a month now. No vapor, no check engine light.

·
Registered
585 Posts
AutoZone here in Henderson didn't carry Stant but they used the Stant #10508 to cross reference to their brand DuraLast #5907 locking gas cap. With a Military discount it cost $16.53. Got it on now, and used a 1/4" drill bit to drill into the handle of the new locking gas cap to reattach the stock lanyard. Works good, drilled hole doesn't go into the sealing feature of the cap and then test drove the car to check to make sure there were no codes popping up due to the drilled hole in the handle. It's all good.

ChallengerR/TFan, thanks for the tip on the lanyard. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
1,997 Posts
why even bother??? you cannot even get a siphon hose down into the gas tank to drain it, I know, I tried!!!

There is some kind of guard or screen to prevent theft or siphoning built in down inside the fuel filler pipe.

·
Registered
585 Posts
why even bother??? you cannot even get a siphon hose down into the gas tank to drain it, I know, I tried!!!
Piece of mind, and now I have another key I have to find a place in the car for and try not to forget where I put the key in a month. :icon_eek: :nono: :bigthumb:

That's good info to know though about the siphon hose.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got one from the dealer. My car is always garaged...but at car shows and indoor shows....or that rare time you may be at a store..... can prevent some jerk from putting crap in there to destroy your engine. Well worth the $.

·
Premium Member
3,128 Posts
The oem dodge cap is made by stant

Reactions: BlkSEbase

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I bought the MOPAR locking gas cap 0527 8655 AB for my
2014 Challenger R/T Classic from the dealer.
Just for the piece of mind that some one cant drop some thing
in the tank without some major effort to do so.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I bought the MOPAR locking gas cap 0527 8655 AB for my
2014 Challenger R/T Classic from the dealer.
Just for the piece of mind that some one cant drop some thing
in the tank without some major effort to do so.
Same here. My wife was astonished that it didn't come with a locking cap - "But anyone could pour sugar water into it!"

That's my wife - always plan for the worst!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Piece of mind, and now I have another key I have to find a place in the car for and try not to forget where I put the key in a month. :icon_eek: :nono: :bigthumb:

That's good info to know though about the siphon hose.
I agree, the peace of mind is worth the small price.

As for key storage, I put a large ring on it and hang it from one of the coin slots in the console.

Reactions: BlkSEbase
1 - 20 of 46 Posts