Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I am knew here looking for a locking fuel cap for 2020 sxt challenger blacktop anyone have any suggestions...all the ones I looked at did not go up to the year 2020.....do not want any check engine or codes going off just purchased the car....thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) Nothing has changed on the fuel filler. I just think they haven't updated the model year applications

A Guy

Reactions: Speedlogix-Sales

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
When I first got my 2009 SRT, I bought a Stant locking gas cap. Unfortunately, it caused a CEL code, so I removed it. I just keep the OEM cap on, now.

·
Registered
474 Posts
68030940AA; fits perfectly and can be keyed to your fob emergency key by your local locksmith. I've had this cap installed on my 2014 R/T since 2016 without any CEL codes or other problems. FYI, the fuel filler tube is the same for all 2011-2021 Challengers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It is not as easy as it used to be to syphon gas. I had to fabricate a tool to drain my tank when I replaced my fuel pump. No details, I dont want to give anyone any ideas. I dont need to use a locking cap where I live

·
Super Moderator
15,437 Posts
68030940AA; fits perfectly and can be keyed to your fob emergency key by your local locksmith. I've had this cap installed on my 2014 R/T since 2016 without any CEL codes or other problems. FYI, the fuel filler tube is the same for all 2011-2021 Challengers.
This cap lists for $77.25 ($54.69 selling price) as compared to $8.65 for the Stant. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
604 Posts
That tethered, key-matched Mopar cap also doesn't include the lock internals so OH NOS it's even more expensive after the locksmith fee! ($30 for me.) Whatever, I like the convenience of no other keys on my fob for a locking cap and I've had no issues with it after 3ish years (I had 2 other locking caps eventually fail to seal properly and throw a code).

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Now that's cool. I didn't know it existed. I've been running the same Mopar accessory locking cap for 11 years on 2 different cars. You just cost me `~60 bucks. :p

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
562 Posts
I had mixed results with the Mopar locking gas cap. One time I forgot my key to it and found out on the net that if you squeeze real hard on the sides you can still get it to catch and come off.

Although that was a handy tip for me to be able to gas up, it did not give me much faith in the security of it.

I wouldn't be as concerned about somebody siphoning fuel out of it anyway. More concerned if somebody was tampering with it by adding stuff to the tank.

Anyhow, I had also gotten another Mopar locking gas cap for my daily driver Dodge Magnum and something happened internally one day and even with the key it took me about 10 minutes to get it to unlock.

So...I found these on Amazon and they look good and used them on both cars for about 6 months now and have not had any problems with codes of any kind. Daily driver gets gassed up at least twice a week so that's 50 times on average that I've taken that one on and off.

I really like the feel of them also. Seems very solid and well made.

Of course once you unscrew it it comes completely off so it's not tethered by a plastic strap or anything so I just set it down on the concrete curb in front of the gas pump. It's not an inconvenience to me.

Also meant to add that somewhere in these forums there's a nice write-up on how to add some high-strength neodymium magnets to the plastic gas cap so that when you unscrew it you can just let it magnetically stick to the fuel door.

Here it is:

That was a modification I planned on doing until I found these lockable caps instead.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
After finding out about the 69030940AA vehicle-keyed cap, I headed over to my dealer. It turned out that the locator showed 17 dealers in the country with one on the shelf and my guy was one of them. Jake pinned the cylinder at the counter while I watched and 56 bucks later I was outa there.

Automotive lighting Hood Car Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
2021 Dodge Challenger GT AWD
144 Posts
I've spent about 15 minutes trying to pay for 69030940AA on Steve whites site and it won't let me (I'm on mobile) it keeps deleting my info and changing my country to Panama, and my language to spanish. Is that thing for sale anywhere else? I don't mind if it is a bit more.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've spent about 15 minutes trying to pay for 69030940AA on Steve whites site and it won't let me (I'm on mobile) it keeps deleting my info and changing my country to Panama, and my language to spanish. Is that thing for sale anywhere else? I don't mind if it is a bit more.
Part number is 68030940AA. Several available on E-bay for $43.95 (shipped) if you decide to raise the white flag with the Steve White Motors website.

·
Registered
144 Posts
After finding out about the 69030940AA vehicle-keyed cap, I headed over to my dealer. It turned out that the locator showed 17 dealers in the country with one on the shelf and my guy was one of them. Jake pinned the cylinder at the counter while I watched and 56 bucks later I was outa there.

View attachment 1018083
Hey, can you get me the information on where you went to get the locks keyed? I have spent 4 off days running the damn thing to different locksmiths that "can do it" only for them to tell me they can't, or that I need to buy them a $200 wafer kit to do it with. I just want to call and mail it and the key to someone who can instead of wasting my very limited free time on it. From what I can tell there is no one within an hour of me who actually can key the thing. Frustrating as heck to spend every day I have off on such a simple task.

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101. 2005 Dodge Magnum RT AWD
562 Posts
Hey, can you get me the information on where you went to get the locks keyed? I have spent 4 off days running the damn thing to different locksmiths that "can do it" only for them to tell me they can't, or that I need to buy them a $200 wafer kit to do it with. I just want to call and mail it and the key to someone who can instead of wasting my very limited free time on it. From what I can tell there is no one within an hour of me who actually can key the thing. Frustrating as heck to spend every day I have off on such a simple task.
Wow, I've never heard of these wafer kits before. Pricey as all get out.
Font Line Material property Parallel Paper

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yessir. It should be a $10 job, I don't mind paying $50 and shipping. I am not paying $200+ for what I consider to be a "business expense" 1 kit is enough to do many locks.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
The parts counterman at the dealership I bought it from went in the back room and came back to the counter with a box of tumblers. He keyed it right in front of me in about three minutes. All I paid for was the cap and sales tax.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The parts counterman at the dealership I bought it from went in the back room and came back to the counter with a box of tumblers. He keyed it right in front of me in about three minutes. All I paid for was the cap and sales tax.
Which dealership did you go to? I have called every dealership within an hour of me, they all have no idea what I'm talking about, or insist that I have to get a key that matches the cap. Local locksmiths that I call do not have the wafer kits. I wish I was exaggerating, but absolutely nobody has any idea.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Larry H Miller Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram in Sandy Utah. Some dealers have more on the ball than others.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts