Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Lockpick Install

I installed my lockpick this morning. It took about an hour but I read everything about four times before I started. It is pretty straight forward. Set your dip switches before you even go out to your car. Then the first step is getting up enough nerve to pop off the front plate on your center dash. It pulls straight out and is easier than it looks. I found the temp controls wires where kind of short so I had to pop that little cover off the shift plate and put my car in Drive to get enough room to lay the plate relatively flat. (PUT THE PARKING BRAKE ON FIRST) The gray plug is used and the white plug is not. At least that is how mine ended up on my 730N radio. At first I thought it was not working, then I read the directions again and it says to wait 30 seconds after everything is plugged in and turned on. There is nothing on the screen to let you know any of this. I waited about a minute and drove around the block and everything was working. I put in a DVD and switched from drive to reverse and back and the video kept playing. (it would just go to sound and no video without lockpick) I put it on NAV mode and the keyboard stayed lit up while moving.

The space behind the radio is tight. I am not kidding here, it is tight and the lockpick comes with a whole lot of wires. The lockpick box is pretty big too. There is a flat bar that runs just under the radio. I put the box down and behind that bar. Then I kind of tucked the rest of the wires straight behind the radio. I did not install a rear camera but the camera menus came up on the screen.

Good luck and if you have any question, Ask. I am no expert, but I think I got mine to work ok.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I told you it was easy Tin.. Now you need to add a back-up camera. With the lockpick you can turn the camera on whenever you want. It is so cool watchn the Mustangs and Camaros falling further behind on the screen..LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
Are there any links to docs/video/discussion of running wires for the cameras?
I know there was pic by pic install a long while back. But running the wires for a reverse camera is easy. If you have you radio bezel off, pull the radio out and look on the right side, there is a hole that goes into the glovebox area. Run the wires throught the hole and behind the glovebox over to the passenger kick panel. From there you can tuck the wires under the kick panels to the rear of the car, behind the rear seat and into the trunk. You can keep the wires under the truck mats to the license plate area. To get the camera wire out to the plate is easy as well. If you look above your plate and to the right by the plate light, you will see a hole going into the trunk area. On the inside of the trunk, lift the rear panel and then lift up the fabric piece that is behind the tail light assembly on the paasenger side. There is a plastic airdam, squeeze the tabs and remove the airdam. This gives you access to the hole above the plate. Run the wires from the camera into the trunk and replace the the airdam. Connect the video plug, power and ground wires,put your radio back in and your done. I installed my lockpic and camera in under an hour. Now this is the 3rd vehicle I have installed this same setup in, the first time took a bit longer...LOL

If you have any questions just let me know.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I know there was pic by pic install a long while back. But running the wires for a reverse camera is easy. If you have you radio bezel off, pull the radio out and look on the right side, there is a hole that goes into the glovebox area. Run the wires throught the hole and behind the glovebox over to the passenger kick panel. From there you can tuck the wires under the kick panels to the rear of the car, behind the rear seat and into the trunk. You can keep the wires under the truck mats to the license plate area. To get the camera wire out to the plate is easy as well. If you look above your plate and to the right by the plate light, you will see a hole going into the trunk area. On the inside of the trunk, lift the rear panel and then lift up the fabric piece that is behind the tail light assembly on the paasenger side. There is a plastic airdam, squeeze the tabs and remove the airdam. This gives you access to the hole above the plate. Run the wires from the camera into the trunk and replace the the airdam. Connect the video plug, power and ground wires,put your radio back in and your done. I installed my lockpic and camera in under an hour. Now this is the 3rd vehicle I have installed this same setup in, the first time took a bit longer...LOL

If you have any questions just let me know.
Awesome, thanks very much for reply and the details, greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I told you it was easy Tin.. Now you need to add a back-up camera. With the lockpick you can turn the camera on whenever you want. It is so cool watchn the Mustangs and Camaros falling further behind on the screen..LOL

OK, I installed the stupid reverse camera...

OH MY GOD, I LOVE IT LOL

What are you going to shame me into doing next Firehawk69?

I can't wait... LOL

·
Registered
532 Posts
OK, I installed the stupid reverse camera...

OH MY GOD, I LOVE IT LOL

What are you going to shame me into doing next Firehawk69?

I can't wait... LOL

Well..... Since you asked.... LOL Seriously though, you have to turn it on while in foward motion. ( just hit the uconnect button 2 times for on, then 2 more for off) I was by myself yesterday so I couldn't get video of the Camaro trying to catch me... HAHAHA what fun this monster of a car is...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I wish it was possible to save a video from the camera to the built in hard drive in the stereo, it would make grudge matches more fun using the camera to prove they can't keep up with us.

Don't dare us not to shame you into more mods...we may actually come up with a few... just added my CAI and under hood ram air box this weekend. (TA hood)

You'll find the camera comes on whenever you put it in reverse, making backing up much more safe, and double clicking the uconnect button in forward motion gives you something more interesting to watch than the nav stereo screens. Doesn't affect the ability to listen to music, you can still tab forward and back using the steering wheel controls.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Chr 550

OK - I just did this install and hooked up rear camera - everything seems to work great but I cant seem to turn on rear cam whenever I want - only when in reverse does it work. when I tap view video its just a black screen on rear cam and double clicking the uconnect button seems not to anything either. Im loving the Iphone intergration and will be hooking up a front camera when I figure out how to mount it and run the wires. Would really like to be able to turn these on at will.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Mine works exactly the same way. If you select the reverse camera from the menu, you get a blank screen. You have to hit the uconnect button (looks like a picture of a telephone) on your steering wheel two times on, then two times to turn it off. You may have to be moving forward. I tried it today and it works.

OK - I just did this install and hooked up rear camera - everything seems to work great but I cant seem to turn on rear cam whenever I want - only when in reverse does it work. when I tap view video its just a black screen on rear cam and double clicking the uconnect button seems not to anything either. Im loving the Iphone intergration and will be hooking up a front camera when I figure out how to mount it and run the wires. Would really like to be able to turn these on at will.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
you may have to click the u connect button two times slowly, (not rapid fire double mouseclick style) i often get the uconnect voice to start talking while i'm pressing it the 2nd time, but the video comes on. If it isn't coming on you may want to check the connections again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Strange

Well on my way to work this morning was trying to get cam to come on with no luck. Started thinking it might be a software thing but just took it for a drive and the Uconnect button doesn't work at all for the camera unless there's some secret timing thing I'm not getting. I did go through the settings menu on the nav unit (730N) and checked out camera options which gave the option to turn auto rear camera on or off - which I clicked off and on don't know if I checked in between but now the rear camera will activate through the view video button through the lockpick TV menu (like advertised). I had tried turning on and off the auto rear camera function through the TV menu with no luck as well - Uconnect still just takes me to the TV menu but at least I can now activate rear camera while moving forward. Gives me some hope for the front camera now. Is there a separate cord supplied for the USB for software uploads ? If memory serves it didn't look like a normal USB plug into the lockpick. I also have an auto OVR option which I have not figured out yet.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here it is fellas. sorry about the delay I took the video right away but had not uploaded it. Once again this is an overview. If you have any specific features you'd like to see or have questions about let me know. If you are going to CF2 you can take an upclose look. ***sorry about the wind.

YouTube - IMG 0874
Thanks for the video.
Could you share with us what size allen wrench (hex) screw you used to attach the license plate?

I figured i'd ask before i head out to the hardware store and i don't have to match it up to the existing screws. Thanks in advance. :pimp:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
yours may be a newer version that gets turned on differently.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
395 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a lockpick and a backup camera. It should be waiting for me when I get back to the U.S. in a few days for an R&R.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
395 Posts
I just finished installing my Lockpick and backup camera. What a PITA. I could not get the rear camera to work. I finally had to go find my voltmeter and found there was no voltage at the camera. So I checked the rear camera 12v supply wire wire and it was dead. I had to hook the camera power into the 12v switched power lead in the harness. For what the thing cost, I should have sent it back, but I'm only home for about 18 days and I didn't feel like starting over.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Is everyone in this thread using the new CHR550?

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
I did

Is everyone in this thread using the new CHR550?
I did, I installed the CHR550 with the BARCAM221 rear camera in my 2011 Challenger (730N RHR radio).

Installation was not too bad. I had to run the wire to the back camera twice because I routed them inside the front seat belt mount the first time. I say this not just admit I am a dork but to help give everyone else a heads up to not make that mistake. I do not do hands on type work for a living.

Also, if you put your car in neutral, (automatic trans guys) DO NOT forget to put the parking brake on. I didn't forget to do this but I could see it getting overlooked very easily.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts