Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into the Lockpick. If I get it I will get a front and rear camera, and I see they only have two options for cameras.

How well does the nightvision part work? Is it usefull or useless?

I want the front and rear cameras for when I'm parking. I'm having a hard time judging where the front spoiler and rear bumper are, and I don't want to hit anything.

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't know about the night vision part or if mine has it. I only have a rear camera and it works fine when backing up at night. The picture quality isn't as good but you can make everything out just fine. Mine is the one you can get with the Lockpick V3 as a kit.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone posted that they didn't use the standard license plate mount camera; but used the single camera and installed it through the license plate light hole. I need to find that thread too.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I've heard people say that and even buy new spoilers and mount the camera in there. I don't know what they are trying to see. My backup lights or license plate light don't keep mine from working. Mine's mounted with the top 2 plate bolts of plate and works fine. The only time mine doesn't work is when backing into the sunrise. You can't see the picture then but I don't think they have anything that will see looking at the sun including my eyes.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I know of only one person that has the camera mounted in the spoiler - ME, unless someone has copied what i did. It wasn't hard to do, it keeps the camera safely mounted up high with better visibility...plus you can see the edge of the bumper in the camera as you back up. The only downside is when driving in the rain...you tend to get water on the lens in the rain due to the wind coming off the spoiler.

The front spoiler easily clears curbs so you really don't need to mount a front camera for parking purposes...unless you are doing lots of parallel parking in a city somewhere. I've never scaped a parking curb yet...unless you decide to lower the car. Night vision is actually pretty good, clear enough to see but it tends to turn black and white at night, as soon as the sun sets you start to lose the color capability when using the bullet style camera. There are lots of different cameras you can use with the lockpick, they only sell two styles usually. Search ebay for other styles. It is very simple to install a camera. Putting one in the spoiler wasn't very hard either. If you decide to go that way i can send or post pics of the steps i took to mount mine in an srt8 spoiler.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I posted it somewhere, i'd have to find it again if it isn't on this site, i'll do another write up. It was one of the first things i did on the car because of the lack of visibility backing up.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Tools needed:
1 drill bit for initial hole
2. one dremel tool with a cutting wheel bit
3. 2 short (1 1/4 drywall screws)
4. bullet style camera (sold on the coastaltech site)
5. Dremel grinding stone, or one for a power drill pyramid shaped, and large enough so you can get the hole wide enough for the lense to poke out but without sticking completely through the opening.

1. Remove the spoiler
2. Remove the trunk liner in the trunk lid to run wire after mounting camera
3. Helps to remove the rear seat backs to run wiring after installing the camera
4. with spoiler off, take a 1/2" wide roll of masking tape, flip the spoiler over, and you'll see the center section is obvious, run the tape around the spoiler in this center location.
5. get a drill bit, usually the largest you'll have in a normal drill bit set, it will still be too small to fit the camera lens in, but it is a good starting hole. Drill the hole in the back side of the spoiler, dead center. In mine, i used a srt8 spoiler which is a little taller than the stock R/T spoiler, so it may have more room inside than the stock spoiler did. Dead center worked good for me.
6. Get a pyramid shaped cone honing stone that fits in a drill, i'll try to get an example i can show, they're available at hardware stores, I held the stone up to the side of the front lens of the camera, marking the spot where the diameter of the stone matched the diameter of the camera lens, but was still less than the overall diameter of the camera body (the tip flares down slightly) Then i used the honing bit to widen the hole large enough so that the lens would fit thru the hole, but it couldn't move around much. Grinding stone looked similar to this, mine was a little longer than this one, but you get the idea. Be careful when grinding the plastic, short bursts are best, the stone can go thru plastic pretty fast, and you don't want the hole to be too big or the camera will move around. you really just want the edge of the camera to rest on the edge of the hole inside. It stabilizes and keeps it from protruding. The body of the camera will keep it from going too far thru the hole.

7. The tape is used to protect the spoiler from a wandering drill bit, once the hole is drilled, you can remove the tape, its no longer needed.

8. Flip over the spoiler so you can see it from the bottom side. Use the dremel to cut a rectangular hole on either side of the center section as seen in the pic below. When you feel inside the spoiler, there is a hump on the inside center section, you'll bend the mounting flanges on the camera slightly so they rest on the sides of the hump, place the camera lens in the hole, and rest the lens on the edge, it will help stablize it once he screws are in place. Then take the drywall screw, angle it in the corner so it will sit below the edge of the bottom of the spoiler, in the recessed area. In the pic below, you will see the recessed area has a hole in the very corner, I drilled a hole in both corners, then used a hand screwdriver to tighten it GENTLY until you feel the screw come thru the slot in the mounting flange. If you angle the screws properly, the angle will hold the flange on both sides. When i got done, the camera was solid as a rock, and both screw heads were in the corners flush with the bottom in the recessed area.

9. It is wise to run the camera wire through the bottom of the spoiler BEFORE you screw it in place... It is also wise to plug in the camera to the lockpick device to make sure it is oriented properly before bolting everything in place or you may find the camera upside down after all the install is done....
10. Drill a hole in the bottom of the spoiler approximately 6 to 8 inches from the camera hole, so you can feed the wire through the bottom, through a hole drilled in the trunklid- yes you will need to drill a hole in the trunklid, but there are already 5 holes for the clips, they won't be lonely. Put a piece of tape where you decide to drill the hole, drill carefully and it will not scratch the trunk anywhere but the hole. when done remove the tape. The hole has to be large enough to fit the section of wire that has two wires joined together..you'll see what i'm talking about I left a little extra wire stuffed inside the spoiler, but most of it is pulled into the trunk area.

11. place camera and spoiler in place, verify it works properly before you bolt the spoiler down. Decide if you want to set the distance markers on or off, i left them off, but can change it by connecting the wires again later. Bolt the spoiler in place, use 3M double sided trim tape in enough quantity to hold the entire center section in place. The outer sides of the spoiler are held by bolts.
12. Inside the trunklid, pull the excess wire thru the trunk lid area. You'll see the factory wiring harness for the trunklid latch, it has a slit in the wire cover, just push the wire inside the factory harness cover, and slowly work the wire up until you're up where the harness meets the back seat. then run the wire through the wall opening to the side of the hole where the seat fits. You don't want a wire hanging loose in the seat hole area, should you later want to drop the seats and shove something large in the trunk, if you feed it through the back seat support, it will stay out of the way, and be protected by the felt cover/carpeting.
13. Once the wire is inside the passenger area of the backseat, run it down to the right side of the rear seat cushion, and tuck it up under the side panel. (helps if back seat is removed but you can do it by feel if you don't mind pinched fingers. When you get it to the front of the seat cushion area, you will run it under the plastic door sill cover, along the door opening, and run it under the front kick panel, feed the wire up along the edge and up under the dash, to where the glove box opening is. With minor effort, you'll have the wire run all the way into the glovebox.
14. I mounted my lockpick in the glovebox, but you can put it behind the radio if you want, if you go there, just feed the excess wire under the bottom of the dash above the glovebox till you get to the console area, then stuff the excess behind the radio.
15. All you have to do then is to connect the rca jacks to the multimedia harness. And test the connection out.

I installed the lockpick, and ran the wire to the trunk area before i installed the camera, that way i could verify the orientation of the camera to make sure the picture wasn't upside down once i installed it. When i finished, you can't see the camera wire anywhere, it is invisible and won't get pulled or dragged on by items in the trunk. I ran the extra connections in the multimedia harness under the edge of the console to the rear portion under the center console, so i can install seat monitors or gameboy connections later if i wanted to. doubt i will but it will save time later.

I had 3m trim tape that covered the two large rectangular holes on the bottom, but i'm not worried about water getting in there, its all plastic and won't rust, and the tape covers the holes for the most part under the spoiler. I didn't run the wire thru the rectangular hole as shown in the picture, i chose to drill a hole about 6 inches to the right of the center, and drilled the hole there to go thru the trunk. How you decide to do it should work. Leave a little slack in the wire inside the spoiler so that if you have to move it around again later, you have some working room. Once you tuck it inside the trunk harness it will be a bit harder to get to. Better safe than sorry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts