Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just wanted to know when the lockpick is installed, does it fit behind the radio itself or do i have to set it up outside somewhere? will it take the constant 120+ degree heat over here in the middle east?
Also the V3 comes with a USB upgrade option, do i have to put out the whole radio and then take out the lockpick to connect the wire to a laptop every time I want to update?

·
Registered
585 Posts
i just recently installed mine and there is plenty of room behind the radio for all the wiring and placement of the lockpick itself. If you plan on doing frequent updating you may want to place it somewhere under the glovebox, if the wires will reach, so you'll have easy access to it, other wise you will have to remove the radio whenever you want to do an update. I placed the lockpick in an area behind the enviornmental knobs. There was an area there with a cutout, almost like a cup holder, and then velcroed it in place so it wont be rolling around back there. one little tidbit, if you have an auto you may have to set the emergency brake and put the car in drive in order to get the radio out. I also found it easier to remove the harnesses for the environmental controls from the back of the face plate. i don't know if that makes any sense, but if not shoot me a pm and i'll answer any questions i can.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I know they said the USB port is for updates but they don't come out very often. I don't know of any in the last 4 months that I've had mine. The updates their talking about are for the lockpick. You can still do the software updates on the radio without getting to the lockpick. There is a cut out area behind the radio in the braces you can put the lockpick thru and it can't be seen but if you want access to the port you'll have to pull the radio or find another place for it. I've never heard of anyone haveing thermal problems with a lockpick but I never heard of anyone in the middle east putting one in. If you haven't got the lockpick yet you might want to look into the camera kit. I think my camera and lockpick was only about $20 more than a lockpick alone. I use the camera alot more than the other features of the lockpick. Like said before it's easier if you move the shifter and the cables to the A/C but it's not required. If you have problems I'm also willing to coach you thru any problems.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I ran the wires through the dash and into the glove box, the lockpick itself actually sits in the small shelf in the upper left area of the glovebox, stays where i stuck it and doesn't come loose, that way i can access the other connections should i want to hook up something else like a front camera, or a game console etc (not likely) All the loose wires are tied together with a zip tie or three, then tucked into the console area behind the radio.

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
The unit will fit nicely behind the radio. As far as the USB for updates, just use a male to female USB cable, plug the male end into to LockPick behind the radio, run the female end to the glove box or come out under the dash where you can hide it and still easily access for USB updates.

I just used velcro to mount brhind radio...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies, looks like I am going to do what Tee recommended which mount the device normally behind the radio then connect the USB wire and stretch it to the glove box for easy future access.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I will be buying the lockpick and backup camera in the next few days. On their website they have a wire harness for $69. Do I need this to install the backup camera or do I just buy the lockpick and it has the available hookups? One more thing: Will any camera work with the lockpick?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
depends on where you mount the camera at. I don't think you have to with the license plate mount, but if you mount it in the spoiler, yes you'll have to drill a hole to feed the wires through.

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I used the Lockpick rear camera with the license plate bracket. It works well. I ran the wires under the rear of the car in a loom, then into the trunk at the grommet for the battery vent hose, from there just run the wires along the passenger kick panel up under the dash.

There is plenty of space to hide the module itself behind the environmental control as previously stated. I wrapped my module inside a cloth towel so it wouldn't rattle/bang around.

Two weeks ago I also installed the front camera. It is VERY INCONSPICUOUS and you can't see it unless you're looking for it. It's installed in the lower grill.

The way mine is set up now, at any vehicle speed below 8mph, my front camera activates automatically, and the rear activates whenever I shift into reverse. Since I'm running eibach springs, I installed the front camera so I don't drag or crush my front lower spoiler on a parking block. Both work great.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
how does the camera wire get from the rear license plate to under the car? is there an access hole you use?

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
how does the camera wire get from the rear license plate to under the car? is there an access hole you use?
The wire runs up through a pre-existing hole, I didn't have to drill any holes. It looks fantastic...

·
Registered
67 Posts
So to understand this front camera activates under 8mph. At every stop, every red light, every traffic jam, the camera is continuously turning on and off? If so, it sounds as though this can start getting annoying.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Thanks for the Post, I am going to order the new Lockpick 550 that is set up for 4 camera's, has anybody installed the camera's for turn signals? ( Left side and Right side of car) I am blind on my left side and think it would probably help Me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installed Lockpick v3.0

For the backup camera, I mounted it in my license plate holes, ran the wire up the license plate light, and through the plastic vent just above the license plate lights, the camera wire comes out right next to the battery. No holes and the wires stay inside of the car, very clean look. I had to take out the trunk liner on the very back of the inside of the trunk, where the trunk latch is..the wires are long enough you can change the view backup lines jumper easily. Everything went back in place, looks no different than before. Ran the wire up the passenger side of the car, just pushed it under the molding, whole thing took less than an hour to finish. Worked perfectly the first time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
camera

For the backup camera, I mounted it in my license plate holes, ran the wire up the license plate light, and through the plastic vent just above the license plate lights, the camera wire comes out right next to the battery. No holes and the wires stay inside of the car, very clean look. I had to take out the trunk liner on the very back of the inside of the trunk, where the trunk latch is..the wires are long enough you can change the view backup lines jumper easily. Everything went back in place, looks no different than before. Ran the wire up the passenger side of the car, just pushed it under the molding, whole thing took less than an hour to finish. Worked perfectly the first time.

ditto .... i used the vent too .. very easy and the wires stay inside

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed and wanted to say thanks for the detailed photos! but I had 1 question. I can't figure out how to get the dvd to play while driving, and when it does play I have no audio. Does anyone know what I did wrong?
Thanks I'd like to watch COPS on DVD while I drive and look at the Police chasing me in my rearview camera while I run from the Law :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
You will have to push the touch screen button to "view video" on the disk tab (bottom right). I think the receiver has some delays that cause the audio and the video to be out of sync. If I switch between radio and video it seems to reset and start playing correctly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts