Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, is there anyone who has a high mileage challenger? I'm thinking of buying a new challenger from the dealer either SXT plus or RT and was wondering if there are any high mileage problems with the V6 or V8. I'm looking for any problems that occur after about 60K miles or so, or any problems in general that occur in life of the car. The major problems that I am wondering about are the transmission (manual and automatic), engine (both V6 and V8), brakes, electronics, and passing emissions. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Probably the best advice - you want a vehicle with service history.

No history = no purchase. A cheap purchase with questionable service history will cost you...often there's a reason why it might show up on a secondary used car lot.

If the major new car dealers pass these up and it gets auctioned, there's a reason why.

You mentioned passing emissions- often the R/T models may get modifications / aftermarket tuning. If the exhaust has been modified - it might have removed or gutted cats, or tuning that disabled rear O2 sensors and you won't pass emissions tests. I'd be leery of something that has low-flow cats, as those are prone to testing issues.

It seems that some of the older 730N (touch screen navigation) radios seem to "expire". These units have hard disk drives in them and they can go bad.

On any pre '14 R/T (automatic), you'd want to make sure the P01 timing chain replacement campaign was performed.

The VIN # can be looked up by a dealer to see if the work was performed - or, if the chain broke was the engine replaced or repaired (there's a few out there that had chains break before the campaign was in place).

The early SXTs '11 - '12 had some issues with cylinder heads...so that's another item to investigate. It throws mis-fire codes and there was a service campaign for the cylinder heads.

Early SXTs '11 - '13 had alternator recalls.
There's another alternator recall out now (T36) that affects '11 - '14 SXT and R/T models, but determined by VIN and production date.

Another member on here has found that rockers on the SXT engines can be prone to wearing - these produce a rattle / knock on cold start up as a symptom of that.

Manual transmissions are pretty durable; an issue turns up with some that had incorrect grease on input shaft splines that cause cause the clutch to hang and create difficult shift effort.
-the limited slip differentials on manual R/Ts are a point to watch out for. If it whines, its not in good shape.

coolant is another point. There were a couple of different coolants used over the years - you should NEVER see green ethylene glycol coolant - if you do...run away.

'08-'10 used orange HOAT coolant
'11-'13 used a red dye OAT
'14 use a different long-life coolant purple color, but can fade to look pink

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,076 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Challenger so far, and have driven the crap out of both. I racked up 80K+ miles on my last one in less than 3 years, and I'm well over 100K miles on my current one after only 2 years (started with 30K on it though).

If you maintain them, they'll last as long as any other. There are no deal-breaker issues with them like what the late 90s-early 00s Dodge p/ups had (overheating PCMs), but there are some issues which should be watched out for, and possibly even planned for. @Hal H's list above is a pretty comprehensive list, so bookmark it, study it, & learn it because there will be a pop quiz tomorrow! Failure means NO CHALLENGER FOR YOU!!

I'm just kidding of course...we'll give you a whole week to study before giving you the test.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Nuke ^^ knows of the many ins / outs of the V6...so he's a good source of info for those.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Congratulations on the thought. Desire to go this route. You also have come to the right place for advice! Not me.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I'm on my 2nd Challenger so far, and have driven the crap out of both. I racked up 80K+ miles on my last one in less than 3 years, and I'm well over 100K miles on my current one after only 2 years (started with 30K on it though).

If you maintain them, they'll last as long as any other. There are no deal-breaker issues with them like what the late 90s-early 00s Dodge p/ups had (overheating PCMs), but there are some issues which should be watched out for, and possibly even planned for. @Hal H 's list above is a pretty comprehensive list, so bookmark it, study it, & learn it because there will be a pop quiz tomorrow! Failure means NO CHALLENGER FOR YOU!!

I'm just kidding of course...we'll give you a whole week to study before giving you the test.
You should get lifetime warranty and go for the million mile Challenger award.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,076 Posts
You should get lifetime warranty and go for the million mile Challenger award.
Maybe later, I've got a much bigger task ahead of me it looks like - spreading the 2 door gospel out here in Atlanta.

Been here 2 days now, and I've seen a grand total of 1 Challenger. I lost count of the number of Chargers I've seen here already.

I don't know what it is about 4 door LXs and these Georgians, maybe they like the extra room to haul around peaches or something, but I've got one more day to see if I can convert some LXers over to our side, so I better formulate a helluva game plan!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
I have an (almost) 105K mile 2009 3.5L that I am the original owner. Only engine/mechanical issue has been to replace the alternator which just went bad. Trim issues are another matter...significant rusted quarter panels on both sides forward of rear tires (numerous owners with same issue), cracked rocker panels (both sides replaced both sides cracked again), cracked window trim, gear shifter lights inop, side amber lights inop, front of hood weather striping torn loose, oil dipstick handle that snapped off, plus a lot of other "little" things. Build quality for the entire line is average at best IMO.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Probably the best advice - you want a vehicle with service history.

The early SXTs '11 - '12 had some issues with cylinder heads...so that's another item to investigate. It throws mis-fire codes and there was a service campaign for the cylinder heads.

Early SXTs '11 - '13 had alternator recalls.
There's another alternator recall out now (T36) that affects '11 - '14 SXT and R/T models, but determined by VIN and production date.

Another member on here has found that rockers on the SXT engines can be prone to wearing - these produce a rattle / knock on cold start up as a symptom of that.
When did the SXT change from the 3.5L to the 3.6L and weren't the problems you list only with the 3.5l?

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
When did the SXT change from the 3.5L to the 3.6L and weren't the problems you list only with the 3.5l?
SE: '09 - '10
*3.5 / A4 speed auto '09 [very late in year some were built with A5]
*3.5 / A5

SXT '11 - '14
*3.6 / A5 (five speed auto)

SXT '15 - present
*3.6 / A8

the cylinder head matters were with the early build 3.6 engines

·
Registered
2009 Challenger R/T
2,991 Posts
More than 188,000 miles on my R/T now. No real issues besides replacing the water pump at 75k and the alternator around 140k. The car is driven hard daily and never disappoints.

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger
13 Posts
2015 Challenger RT m6 just rolled over 81,000 miles. I bought it new 21 months ago and drive about 45k miles annually. I have the lifetime maximum care mopar warranty. I change the motor oil and rotate the tires every 5k, at 35k I did the front brakes, at 50k I changed trans and diff fluid, at 70k I did the rear brakes. Its due again for front brakes. I clean the mopar performance air filter as needed. At 100k next January, it will get another trans and diff fluid swap along with coolant and brake fluid flush, plugs, and the mandatory 100k inspection to keep the lifetime warranty going. I am on my third set of tires. It has been an amazing car. Here are the issues that I have had:

First set of tires, even with regular rotation, were wearing on the inside. After alignment and doing some reading, I found that the problem was negative rear camber. It was within specs, but because I often time have stuff in my trunk, the added weight and the mostly highway driving caused the excessive inner tire wear anytime the tires were on the back. At about 40k, I got the adjustable control arm bushings and had them installed and rotated to maximum offset of a few degrees beyond stock in order to reduce the rear camber, did another alignment, and tire wear problem is gone. I have noticed no adverse handling affects either - it still requires the same amount of effort to break loose in turns and on wet pavement.

At about 25k a gear whine began to show itself most noticeable in any gear between 55 and 70 mph under load. Dealer agreed it was louder than usual and replaced the entire rear differential under warranty with a factory-set-up unit. The replacement unit had slightly less noise from about 60-75mph and I have lived with it. Makes me think that some diff noise under load is normal. I just turn up the radio. No evidence of metal in the fluid at the 50k diff service.

At about 60k, the a/c temperature and modes would not change. The digital display would act like it was supposed to but the air speed, temperature, and direction were stuck at one setting. Dealer replaced a blend door actuator and some other motor in the evap housing area and problem is solved.

At 78k roll pin in the shifter assembly worked loose and sheared causing trans to only go in first and second gear. I don't / didn't abuse the car and dealer was baffled too but took care of it under extended warranty.

No regrets. Love the car. Hope to have the highest mileage 15+ challenger in a few more years. I am driving this thing forever.

Attachments

·
Registered
387 Posts
More than 188,000 miles on my R/T now. No real issues besides replacing the water pump at 75k and the alternator around 140k. The car is driven hard daily and never disappoints.
Wow. That is truly impressive. I can only hope my 2016 SPS will last that many miles. Did your trips consist mostly of highway driving?

Did you do anything in particular in regards to maintenance to make it last that long?

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Don't forget some flood damaged cars may make it through the cracks to auction purchase dealers.

Happens every time. Please beware!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts