Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All,

Longtime lurker first time poster. I signed up on these forums back in 09 in thinking one day I'd be an owner. Well, I have to say have finally saved up enough pennies and dimes to be in a position to afford a pre-owned Challenger. I have started the search and narrowed it down to a 2011+ R/T. When looking through all the used cars on the web I came a across a few questions maybe the forums could help me out with.

1. how can you tell visually if an R/T has a the Super Track Pack option ? I feel like this is a must have from what I have read. do all challengers R/T's with 20 inch rims have the Track Pack ?

2. Are there any other must have options I should consider when looking for an R/T ?

3. Is there a way to decipher the options that the car is equipped with from the VIN ?

A little background for you- back in 09 we lost our first child, my daughter. We thought after that the we probably wouldn't have any more kids it was just too painful. Later that year I ended up buying an 08 Corvette( was looking at the challenger at that time as well), I was in a "live life to the fullest" mood. Six months later I found out that we
were going to have my son, and I found happiness again. Fast forward 5 years and here we are with a beautiful family, a 4 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. The result of all of this is that I barely drive the vette. Part of it is that I can't really haul a family around in it, and the other part of it is some sort of self imposed guilt that I have about getting it when I did. In any case, its time to let go of the guilt and start living life to enjoy again. The challenger would not really be a family car per se, but in a pinch if I can haul kids around for short distances that is all that I need. Our primary family hauler is a pathfinder. Nothing looks better on the road than a Challenger, the Mustang is nice, but not my thing. As for the vette, I'm considering selling it, but it would break my son's heart if I got rid of it. he would never let me part with it, so it will remain a garage queen until he's old enough, or until he likes the challenger better haha. Imagine that!

Thank you all for listening, I look forward to getting a challenger and start interacting here more!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hello All,

Longtime lurker first time poster. I signed up on these forums back in 09 in thinking one day I'd be an owner. Well, I have to say have finally saved up enough pennies and dimes to be in a position to afford a pre-owned Challenger. I have started the search and narrowed it down to a 2011+ R/T. When looking through all the used cars on the web I came a across a few questions maybe the forums could help me out with.

1. how can you tell visually if an R/T has a the Super Track Pack option ? I feel like this is a must have from what I have read. do all challengers R/T's with 20 inch rims have the Track Pack ?

2. Are there any other must have options I should consider when looking for an R/T ?

3. Is there a way to decipher the options that the car is equipped with from the VIN ?

A little background for you- back in 09 we lost our first child, my daughter. We thought after that the we probably wouldn't have any more kids it was just too painful. Later that year I ended up buying an 08 Corvette( was looking at the challenger at that time as well), I was in a "live life to the fullest" mood. Six months later I found out that we
were going to have my son, and I found happiness again. Fast forward 5 years and here we are with a beautiful family, a 4 year old son and a 2 year old daughter. The result of all of this is that I barely drive the vette. Part of it is that I can't really haul a family around in it, and the other part of it is some sort of self imposed guilt that I have about getting it when I did. In any case, its time to let go of the guilt and start living life to enjoy again. The challenger would not really be a family car per se, but in a pinch if I can haul kids around for short distances that is all that I need. Our primary family hauler is a pathfinder. Nothing looks better on the road than a Challenger, the Mustang is nice, but not my thing. As for the vette, I'm considering selling it, but it would break my son's heart if I got rid of it. he would never let me part with it, so it will remain a garage queen until he's old enough, or until he likes the challenger better haha. Imagine that!

Thank you all for listening, I look forward to getting a challenger and start interacting here more!
First, I must say sorry for your loss but I'm glad to see that you were blessed with a child later. I think you'll find that there is much more room in the back seat of the challenger than Mustangs/Cameros and that should help you guys greatly. I can fit 2 adults back there easily so a kid should be no problem. I can answer a few questions for you:

2. I don't think there is anything "necessary" for an R/T - it comes down to preferences. I think for performance the STP will do you well.

3. Check this thread where you can click a link for Dodge to send you a build sheet:
http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f37/dodge-site-vin-decoder-232834/

Good luck with the search and family!

·
Registered
505 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
You may want to look for a RT that has the "Blacktop Package" usually you can visually identify the Blacktop RTs by their black wheels or striping (some, like mine, however, have stripes removed). IMHO it is a good package which includes a number of nice upgrades (including the Super Track)

·
Registered
398 Posts
20" wheels are available without the STP option.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Brent for that link, it's been really useful already!

Bigred, thanks for that suggestion, I think I like that Blacktop option alot. I've seen a few around town with those black rims and I like the look.

I noticed that the antislip axle is another option that is listed on some of the build sheets I looked at, is that seperate from the track pack ? I would have thought it would be included in that package.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You may want to look for a RT that has the "Blacktop Package" usually you can visually identify the Blacktop RTs by their black wheels or striping (some, like mine, however, have stripes removed). IMHO it is a good package which includes a number of nice upgrades (including the Super Track)
I'll second the Blacktop. Mine also came with the stripe delete which I prefer. I think the stripes are good but I'm in my 30s, not 18 anymore so I've outgrown rally style stripes I guess. I've since added hockey stick graphics myself. If you see a blacktop that you want to get but don't like the stripes - they are vinyl and can be easily removed with some time and care.

My car didn't have a ton of options on it as I like much of the base items and don't need much but it did come with an Electronic Convenience group that I really like - tire pressure monitor (shows PSI), outside temperature/compass, heated side mirrors and security alarm are a few things in that group. The security alarm has given me more piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You can always go charger too. They have an RT road and track model. Has 4 doors so you can take the whole family down the track.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks Brent for that link, it's been really useful already!

Bigred, thanks for that suggestion, I think I like that Blacktop option alot. I've seen a few around town with those black rims and I like the look.

I noticed that the antislip axle is another option that is listed on some of the build sheets I looked at, is that seperate from the track pack ? I would have thought it would be included in that package.
I'm pretty sure that the STP and the antislip axle are separate, since I've seen them listed separately on window stickers. I think the STP retails for $595 and the axle for $295.

I wish it were that cheap to add later!!

I've seen a silver Blacktop edition around here, complete with stripes. On a silver car, the stripes are fairly subtle and just look like accents. I like that look a lot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts